What railroads are in you hometown

Traditionally, San Diego is a Santa Fe town (now BNSF). We get irregular visits from Amtrack (which is better service than a lot of places these days), and we were the western end of the San Diego & Arizona Eastern, the last transcontinental line built in the U.S.
And of course the local trolley, if you want to include that.

:cool: Claude

My hometown, Tamworth, NSW

Most railways in Australia have been state owned from the start. As far as I know all the tracks here are owned by the State Rail Authority. There is also an abandoned line here that used to go to a town called Barraba. The lines still being worked here go to the towns of Werris Creek and Armidale.

In Soria, a little city in Spain there's only RENFE (Red Nacional de los Ferrocarriles Españoles=Spanish National Railroad Network). There are 4 trains in a day: 2 Madrid-Soria and another 2 Soria-Madrid, passenger trains. There are 2 lines closed, the Santander-Mediterraneo Route (Cidad Dosante-Teruel) and the Soria-Castejón of Ebro.

And near Soria, in a small village in the Torralba-Soria line (open) there are other closed line, the Valladolid-Ariza.

the railroad union pacific runs through my town. we often see the heritage units, the challenger once with a passenger train, we saw the olympic unit salt lake city #2002 came through last wednesday (10/10/07) 8:25 pacific time, one ge demo unit and the circus train. we did have an norfolk southern and canadian national on lease by up come through also. its cool.:D

I saw the Katy Heritage unit in downtown St. Louis last summer.
I also saw 1522 in one of her last days under steam (just sitting in the back of the Museum of Transportation, unfortunately).

Other than that and the occasional grey ghost, I really haven't seen anything that extraordinary. (lucky!!!;))

The Elgin, Joliet and Eastern (Although I guess that's Canadian National now :'( ), two Union Pacific lines (Both ex-C&NW, one is also METRA), and the Chicago North Shore and Milwaukee ran through until it went belly-up.

Train Operating Companies, Virgin XC, Midland Mainline, and Central Trains.
The lines, Cross Country, and The Midland Mainline!

Reactivated line with Conrail signs. Heard CSX runs trains on it, haven't gotten the time to check. One customer, New York Container Terminal, runs an engine owned by WAMX. Only other customers are the dump site for trash trains, maybe the power plant if not using it already. Did see a couple of pictures of NS engines on the line. Mainly a branch line off the NJ Chemical Coast area.
Across the river, the other portion of the former freight line is operated by Morristown & Erie as close as Bayway refineries.

Passenger service by NYC MTA on 1 rapid transit heavy rail operation, plans have been discussed and looked at to reactivate an older line somehow.

Hometown = Memphis, TN

Class 1 RR operating as of 2007 are:
CN / IC (my former employer), UP, formerly Missouri Pacific, BNSF, formerly Frisco, CSX formerly L&N, NS formerly Southern. At one time the Rock Island ran out of Memphis also. Two railroad bridges cross the Mississippi river at Memphis. Just on the Memphis side of those bridges something like 75 trains a day is common. Most of the lines generally run East-West with the exception being the CN which is the former Illinois Central line from Chicago,IL to New Orleans.
The UP terminates at Memphis from the west. The NS and CSX terminate at Memphis from the east.

used to be SAR - South Australian Railways, then changed to
ANR - Australian National Railways
now its NR - National Rail, with sub divisions like Trailerrail, Seatrain
and PacNat - Pacific National

we also get the odd ARG unit passing thru, not sure wht it stands for tho

MBTA, CSX, Conrail, Guilford (Sort of together, the last two.) And to wrap it all up, We've got the Bay Colony RR A few miles south.

Lets see here

Detroit Mi.

NS (Dearborn sub), + Ex Conrail, (Michigan Line, Detroit Line Jct Yard Secoundary)

CSX (Saganaw sub) + Ex Conrail ( North Yard Branch, Sterling secoundary, Lincoln Secoundary Belt line (aka rust belt secoundary)) And i think whats left of the DelRay Connecting railway

CN (River Sub) + GTW (Flatrock, Holly sub, Port Huron sub, and river sub) DT&I (Shore Line Sub)

CP (Tunnel Yard Sub) .. i think, don't quote me on that one.

DT (Detroit Terminal RR) A little Indy switching rail road, mostly limited to Zug Island area

TSBY ( They owen whats left of the MI Centeral and a lot of other little short lines)+ Some of the old C&O and B&O

You would think there would be a lot of traffic, but when the auto indy started to tank, a lot of the traffic went with it.

Please forgive the spelling errors, it's 1:30 in the morning!

I coulda sworn I posted here, but the only RRs near me are the PS&P and the United States Navy RRs, but only a boat ride away is amcrash...amtrak*, BNSF, UP, Sound Transit, and a few other oddballs, I once saw 2 NS units and a KCS unit sitting on a siding next to the airport...

We have the MBTA, Amtrak, and PAR (Guilford). This is the former Boston & Maine mainline to Portland.

John

Back