Warnings

rhban

I have written before about the inappropriate warnings given to train drivers. I only use AI drivers, so I find most of the cautions a bit pointless. OK, the speeding warning is helpful - it tells me to add lower speed limits, but what is the point of "Rough Handling"? Should I speak sternly to my AI driver? Passing red signals usually attracts a penalty, so that's OK, but "excessive acceleration"? I see the purpose of this when starting from standstill or anywhere on a wet track, but what is the point of telling this to my AI drivers?

On a different note, one of my routes appears with a red exclamation mark, which apparently means a faulty asset, but I can't find it. The route and its sessions all come up with "no errors or warnings" and even looking at each asset individually, shows no faults at all. It is all very strange.

From my limited experimentation on this matter, many of the messages (including, strangely enough, "Speeding") seem to depend on the engine specs of the individual locos.

The same route, same location, same load, same speed but different loco will give different results. The "Speeding" seems to have a rounding up/down component. One of my loco types traveling under AI control at exactly the same speed as the speed signs will produce a "Speeding" warning if the loco has just slowed down from a higher speed to meet the new speed restriction.

I usually ignore these warnings.

I agree that the warnings are lame. Do they require us to sit down with the drivers for a time with tea and biscuits to discuss their bad behavior? Out of all the warnings, the most useful is excessive curve speed. It's this one that I look into carefully and lower the speed in those locations or sometime adjust the curve itself and smooth out the transition from one end to the other.

The red exclamation point (!) indicates as you said something being faulty. The problem in this instance is the faulty asset is a dependency of one of the dependencies. The quickest way to find this is to open up Content Manager and set the filter to faulty. I modified my Faulty filter to show only faulty assets and not faulty dependencies, or missing dependencies which I search for separately because I like to narrow down my data searches.

I agree that the warnings are lame. Do they require us to sit down with the drivers for a time with tea and biscuits to discuss their bad behavior? Out of all the warnings, the most useful is excessive curve speed. It's this one that I look into carefully and lower the speed in those locations or sometime adjust the curve itself and smooth out the transition from one end to the other.

The red exclamation point (!) indicates as you said something being faulty. The problem in this instance is the faulty asset is a dependency of one of the dependencies. The quickest way to find this is to open up Content Manager and set the filter to faulty. I modified my Faulty filter to show only faulty assets and not faulty dependencies, or missing dependencies which I search for separately because I like to narrow down my data searches.

Totally agree about the excessive curve speed - IMO the only useful warning.
I have tried very hard to examine my dependencies for faults without success. In fact, the red exclamation mark itself disappears sometimes. I suspect there is nothing seriously wrong.
I have another route which appeared almost complete in my list. I know it has a number of faulty plants in its dependencies, but they don't appear anywhere and, despite the warnings, the route which I have almost completely rewritten, works without a hitch.

Thought the red ! In driver meant a script choked and died. Turn on deveoper options and then under developer tab "show logs" and you should get a message that says which script is throwing an exception.

Thought the red ! In driver meant a script choked and died. Turn on deveoper options and then under developer tab "show logs" and you should get a message that says which script is throwing an exception.

I have no idea how to do that. I've never seen "developer options" anywhere in the game.

On the launcher click settings, then on one of the tabs (3rd?) Will be developer options. Check it.

Close everything.

Restart game.

Launcher should now have a "developer" label in the top menu bar. Click it.

One of the top things in the menu that appears is "show logs"

If I get a ! I fingure out what made it happen, then open show logs (and also use the clear logs option because its always full of stuff). Then make the ! Appear again, and see what comes up in the log.

The error may not help you much, but you should get a KUID to identify what "crashed".

On the launcher click settings, then on one of the tabs (3rd?) Will be developer options. Check it.

The error may not help you much, but you should get a KUID to identify what "crashed".

I have copied what you wrote and will try it out later. Thanks.

A picture's worth a thousand words...

e6Kzd2u.jpg

Red Dots showing what to check in "settings"

GsMPGsB.jpg

The resulting menu and options I mentioned highlighted.

Good luck!

Back