Disappearing Tree

MachineMonkey

Just upgraded to TS 2019 and I am experiencing the strangest issue. When I plant a tree they disappear when I zoom close to them. I have adjusted the graphics settings associated to the software, but they still disappear.

Anybody experience the same issue or have ideas on hot to resolve this?

Thanks - Steven

That's usually having, too low a draw distance and or too low tree settings. Try using the same settings you use for TANE as a starting point.

Thanks for the suggestion. Drawing distance is OK, the trees vanish when I get too close. Within 12 grids in surveyor. I have adjusted graphics settings with no luck. I am presuming at this point that my graphics card is not up to snuff for trees.

Examine the LoD settings for the assets involved. Sounds like a LoD issue with LOD0 to me. Would you please provide one or two of the KUIDs so we can check these out too?
Also, recommend setting Post Processing to 'Low' to avoid in-close blurring setting.

Last edited:
I adjusted the video settings to the lowest and the trees still vanish. Here are two KUIDs to reference:
PG Tree9_B1_1-563 kuid2:429786:100367:2
Tree Date Palm Group kuid2:523:1209:2

I adjusted the video settings to the lowest and the trees still vanish. Here are two KUIDs to reference:
PG Tree9_B1_1-563 kuid2:429786:100367:2
Tree Date Palm Group kuid2:523:1209:2

I've just tried those two trees and they work fine for me. Have you tried a database repair?

PS: I've just realized that I tried them in TRS22 so I can only suggest the database repair.

Last edited:
Good suggestion, thanks. Although it did not change the result. Oh well, maybe my video card is too close to the minimum requirements and this is the result of that. This is what I have:
[COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.85)][FONT=&quot]NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M 4 GB[/FONT][/COLOR]

Thanks for the KUIDs. Can confirm that they appear correctly for me in both TRS19-Platinum and Trainz+ TRS22. (Love the <kuid2:523:1209:2> Tree DatePalm Group 01 trees! They are an exceptionally high-quality built-in asset).
BTW, there is an accompanying Library for this palm group: <kuid2:523:19723309:1> Tree DatePalm Library - Does that asset appear with zero issues in Content Manager?
Suggest see what happens when you zoom right in, when using Preview Asset mode (Content Manager) for the LoD transitions. Does your graphics card render the LoD0 setting in Asset Preview (Inspect mode) at Zoom Level 0 or 1?
If it does appear in Asset Preview, but not in the game, then it would appear that your graphics card is indeed being challenged trying to render lower (closer) LoDs.

When building in surveyor these assets do not have the preview in the window, unlike all other assets. It also does not appear in the Preview Asset window.

Just a thought? GTX 780M 4 GB indicates a laptop? Presumably it has Optimus so the question is it switching from the intel to the Nvidia card? may need to force it in the Nvidia Control panel.

Open the NVIDIA control panel.
Navigate to 3D settings > Manage 3D settings.
Open the Program settings tab and select your game from the dropdown menu.
Select Preferred graphics processor for this program from the second dropdown menu.
Save your changes.

I have a GTX 960M on one of my laptops (windows), and I know with my other rigs as well, either the operating system or the NVIDIA Control Panel needs to be told to turn on the card when Trainz launches.

Google search says this;
How do I open Nvidia on Mac?
How do I open the Nvidia Control Panel on a Mac? Power on your Mac, then select the Nvidia icon (looks like an eye) from the menu bar on the home screen. Select Nvidia Web Driver or Open Nvidia Driver Manager Preferences.

Thanks for the follow up and Google search recommendations. Big Sur does not allow changes to the card directly. But I can see within the Activity Monitor that Trainz is using about 44% of my GPU which would indicate that the GPU is working. What's interesting is when I add several dozen of the tree that do not appear close up they only add a few % to the GPU load.

Interesting to see the impact that various game settings have on the GPU. Even the top settings do not push my card past 57%.

Back