nVidia's RTX 4090

johnwhelan

I understand it is much larger physically than the older units and requires a much larger power supply than we have been used to so that means a new case and power supply plus there seems to be a problem with the power sockets burning out.

Do we need the extra processing power?

I note Dell only has one machine with it in and the price on that machine is a little on the expensive side.

Given the crash on the crypto currency side and the new AMD cards is nVidia squeezed at the moment.

Thoughts?

Thanks John

Yes the 4090 is a lot larger than the 1080, or 3080s. and does require more PSU Power when it requires it depending on the Content running.

I did Purchase a new RTX 3080 Ti for a new PC Build and Trainz still struggles in high content areas. FPS hits still happen.
As for the Power connectors, they only burn out if the wrong cables are used, needs dedicated Rails to the PSU to distribute the Amperage evenly.
Maybe when N3V does get the Direct x 12 and Ray Tracing ready in the new Video Engine this may all change to better performance with my 3080.
Cheers!:)
jjeff1955

Total overkill for 99.9% of current Games for us mortals, Crypto hasn't got anything to do with Nvidia, their Gaming GPUs are blocked from being used for mining now and they have purpose built mining GPUs with no video output, not that there is much mining going on apparently at present.

Think the lesser 4xxx cards when available won't require the excessive power requirements, the 4080 only requires a 750Watt PSU and actually has a lower TDP of 320 Watts than the 3080TI which is 350 watts but does also have the problematic melting power connector. I wouldn't be wasting any money on 4090 or 4080 or anything else with that weird plug and it's not wrong cables that are melting, the Nvidia supplied one that is supplied with the card is melting / catching fire as well. Same cable is used on the 3090s however the extra pins were not enabled. From independent reviews it looks like it's the positioning of the socket on the founders edition in the centre of the card is getting stressed when you attach the 4 cables from the PSU, depending on the Cable routing. Personally I would think they have pushed the limit on what cables can supply. Possibly a hurried release of the 4090s to get ahead of AMDs new offerings?

AMD cards never work well with Trainz so far and they always claim better performance than they are capable of...... so far. Claimed performance of the new range is close to Nvidia but not better, however they use less power so no need for new PSUs and a heck of a lot cheaper, however no actual reviews yet. This may of course cause Nvidia to drop their prices, assuming they sort out this poorly designed plug problem.

Not having any Frame rate issues with an RTX 3070TI here.

Do we need the extra processing power?

Thoughts?

Thanks John

IMHO there are benefits for those wanting to bake textures in a 3D product such as Max or Blender, or use products such as Substance Painter and the like. Not sure if that is relevant to GMax though. I've seen posts in Discord with high detail models baked down with incredible texture detail most likely due to good normals textures. You need some horsepower for that. My bakes with an RTX2080Ti just take a few seconds.

But for ordinary Trainz usage I doubt if it makes a lot of difference unless you have scenes saturated with PBR vegetation. I'm still wondering why TS12 runs no faster with a $1800 graphics card than it did with a $150 card.

IMHO there are benefits for those wanting to bake textures in a 3D product such as Max or Blender, or use products such as Substance Painter and the like. Not sure if that is relevant to GMax though. I've seen posts in Discord with high detail models baked down with incredible texture detail most likely due to good normals textures. You need some horsepower for that. My bakes with an RTX2080Ti just take a few seconds.

But for ordinary Trainz usage I doubt if it makes a lot of difference unless you have scenes saturated with PBR vegetation. I'm still wondering why TS12 runs no faster with a $1800 graphics card than it did with a $150 card.

Probably because TS12 is 32 bit and CPU bound and the modern GPUs aren't getting used much, I have noticed the same, I suppose N3V could have limited the FPS in TS12 as they did with the draw distance.

Just read an Article on the new AMD cards, they are apparently only optimised for games and streaming but will still have poor performance relative to Nvidia for the likes of Blender and 3ds Max. I'm sticking with my 3070Ti.

TS12 was the last version of trainz that did most of it's processing on the CPU, the GPU was basically irrelevant. TANE was the first that off loaded it to the GPU. Translated TS12 is probably the best version to run on a second hand refurbished laptop.

Cheerio John

TRS2019 and below work great with maximum settings on my i7 4790K and 1080ti combined with 32GB RAM and SSDs. Also, not much a big deal anymore, I have an add-on sound card, too. Hearing people say they still have problems with newer systems tells me maybe on their route(s) need tweaking or some kind of other settings.

Unbiased Video from Gamers Nexus that sheds some light onto the probable cause of the power connector problem, lots of science testing dissection and stuff and quite enlightening how problematic something as simple as a cable connector can be.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ig2px7ofKhQ Looks to me as if you need to make sure it's fully plugged in and no stress put on the connector.

Unbiased Video from Gamers Nexus that sheds some light onto the probable cause of the power connector problem, lots of science testing dissection and stuff and quite enlightening how problematic something as simple as a cable connector can be.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ig2px7ofKhQ Looks to me as if you need to make sure it's fully plugged in and no stress put on the connector.

Which makes sense, you need as much contact as you can get, and cleaning with a bit of alcohol beforehand probably wouldn't hurt. Life on the bleeding edge.

Cheerio John

Well, that was interesting. Maybe NVidia should look a bit more closely at securing the cable in the right alignment. I've seen connections where the clip had nothing to clip onto.

Back