Keyboard Commands

rhban

I know about clicking G to change from last century's Imperial measurements to Metric ones, and someone told me that Ctrl H turns the switch arrows on and off(although that doesn't seem to work reliably for me), but is there a whole list of other keyboard commands that could be useful? I tried searching at Trainz Help, but it didn't help and I didn't think it deserved a ticket, but undoubtedly one of the geniuses here know this sort of stuff!

While in DRIVER go to Settings (upper left) and then click on "Control Settings". It'll show you all the keyboard commands you'll ever need to know.

Look at that. An American that uses last century's system of measurement rather than the revolting French peasant system of measurement knew the answer. Careful, your metric snobbery is showing.

... Ctrl H turns the switch arrows on and off(although that doesn't seem to work reliably for me)

Ctrl-H (Help Mode on and off) works perfectly for me everytime - but it only works in Driver mode, not in Surveyor.

Ctrl-H (Help Mode on and off) works perfectly for me everytime - but it only works in Driver mode, not in Surveyor.

I only ever want it in Driver mode, but it does not seem to work on my computer or only very occasionally. I tried Cmd H instead, but that didn't work either. On the other hand, the red green arrows often do disappear of their own accord for no apparent reason and return in the same way.

Look at that. An American that uses last century's system of measurement rather than the revolting French peasant system of measurement knew the answer. Careful, your metric snobbery is showing.
I'm not American - Australian, formerly English. I thought the USA was the only place not using metric, but apparently the UK is a weird mixture, which is even stranger.

The CTL key has to be held down, not just pressed first. Just saying.............
I knew that, but it doesn't work, or at least not often. On the odd occasion when I have to take control of one of my AI trains to discover why a signal remains red for no apparent reason (usually a track break), I have to use the Hold Ctrl and Right click several times before anything happens.

I think Trainz is a bit like windows, in that, as you go thru processes and Commands there is lot of Background stuff going on, kind of like Network Traffic, so your Key Board Commands pressed are queued for processing and don't make it to Command and Control center......Similar to desk read and write command, there is latency.

It might also be system interrupts in the Bios, not allowing commands to go consistently as a priority thing too?

Software only allows things to work in particular way, if it is well written, and all your system components are working in conjunction. And then there is Capacity issues.

I would suggest when your running Trainz, run a Vanilla setup, everything turned off you don't need. AKA Airplane Mode, Email, Virus Checkers set to Game Mode. Trainz needs all the working space, memory allocation it can get. :wave:

I'm not American - Australian, formerly English. I thought the USA was the only place not using metric, but apparently the UK is a weird mixture, which is even stranger.

Not strange to us in the UK now, most are used to both imperial and metric. Speedometers in the UK are in mph & Km, speed limits road and rail in mph, distances are in miles and not kilometres, the UK never was part of Europe proper, refused to adopt the Euro and anything else we could avoid and now isn't even in the EU thanks to the Brexit fiasco. A certain recently deposed PM, bizarrely was all for going back to pints and lbs, because we had left the EU.

Not strange to us in the UK now, most are used to both imperial and metric. Speedometers in the UK are in mph & Km, speed limits road and rail in mph, distances are in miles and not kilometres.

We've got a similar situation here in the US, mostly along the borders with Canada and Mexico. Our cars have miles per hour in the speedometers but inside of that is a kilometres (not kilometers) an hour display that works in tandem with the mph display, using the same needle. Since Canada and Mexico use the Metric system, it's necessary if you live near there and travel over the border often, however it serves little purpose outside the border area other than to trick your friends into thinking you're going really fast :).

Coming from an engineering and technical background, I've become quite accustomed to the metric system because it's so much more accurate than the imperial measurements. For the most part, I can still convert my measurements in my head as I need to but being retired now, it's no longer necessary but still useful on occasion especially when I converse with friends who don't use the imperial system and we discuss weather, or other things that require measurements.

Being about 10 hours from Halifax, NS I have used the inner ring on my speedometer a few times when I traveled north to visit relatives. Once I make the switch, it takes a few minutes getting used to which ring to look at on the dashboard.

Bright idea,
Develop a digital dashboard for a vehicle so that the driver can switch the speedo display to miles per hour or kilometers per hour.
Or display both at the same time.
England to France tunnel trip
France to England tunnel trip.

Scales with dual unit displays are always a hazard - many an official accident (or death) investigation has concluded that an 'incident" was due to the wrong scale being used.

With digital display systems it should be possible to link the display (e.g. a speedometer) to the GPS system so that it automatically switches between metric and imperial displays whenever an international border (e.g. Northern Ireland to Ireland or USA to Mexico) is crossed.

Just an idle thought.

Scales with dual unit displays are always a hazard - many an official accident (or death) investigation has concluded that an 'incident" was due to the wrong scale being used.

With digital display systems it should be possible to link the display (e.g. a speedometer) to the GPS system so that it automatically switches between metric and imperial displays whenever an international border (e.g. Northern Ireland to Ireland or USA to Mexico) is crossed.

Just an idle thought.

I don't see why not given the other stupid things they do with displays in cars. This would be an unusually useful and safe thing for a change. Going to Canada for us in the north also means switching to metric as well. It's not so difficult if people pay attention but as you said it's dangerous due to people reading the wrong scale. Paying attention while driving has become a big issue these days, but let's not digress in that direction.

Back