Help me fix my stupid Windows :P

omber

I copied my content folder to my 2nd hard drive to keep it safe while I format the system drive - now I've tried to add the content back via CMP, however I run into a small problem. You see, somewhere somehow, a while back, Windows decided to encrypt all of my content folder :). Now the problem is I did not bother checking for that so now I can not add any of the encrypted content as it is .. encrypted :p Out of 11thousand pieces of content I have, only 450ish were not encrypted, everything else is basically unaccessible. I can copy, move, paste it but I can not actually open the said files or change properties on them - any idea how to strip the encryption of it?

I believe the encryption key used is based on the userid created by Windows. If you have trashed that userid and created a new one (even if the name is the same) then you will not be able to access the encrypted content.

This is a tricky and sometime well nigh impossible situation to get out of. A Google search came up with a number of possibilities, here's one:
http://www.beginningtoseethelight.org/efsrecovery/index.php

Best of luck

Dave

Hi omber,

Are you sure it is Windows that encrypted you content folder? You are talking about CMP so I assume you are using TRS 2006.

CMP encrypts all of your content. My guess is when you made a fresh install of TRS 2006 it created a new encryption seed which renders your content folder from your old installation unreadable. ( If it didn't you would be able pirate your Payware content by copying your content folder to your mate's computer. )

I like several old sayings;

KISS - Keep it simple stupid!

If it ain't broke don't fix it!

And one I have invented myself : Unless it is confidential/Copyright information DON'T encrypt it!

The above is why I still use TRS 2004.

Lindsay

Hmm not very clear, but here's something to try

TRS2006/CMP when installing an asset gives it a unique number/letter combination.
First copy the Local folder into the new TRS2006 install
Then delete assets.tdx
Start up CMP and sit back for a wait. CMP will have to rebuild it's list of items (DLS or local)

CMP encrypts all of your content. My guess is when you made a fresh install of TRS 2006 it created a new encryption seed which renders your content folder from your old installation unreadable. ( If it didn't you would be able pirate your Payware content by copying your content folder to your mate's computer. )
Wrong guess. CMP makes binary versions of the config files to speed up loading (and that's a guess on my part). The 'encryption' is supposed to happen so just leave it alone. CMP will rebuild the database eventually.

Paul

Does CMP encrypt using Windows encryption? If I right click on the file and check the attributes the Encrypt my files checkmark is checked.

I'll try some fixes later..

I'd doubt it, as AFAIK Windows XP Home can't even use encryption. Why encrypt the files anyway? Windows would have to decrypt them so that CMP could read them and that would slow everything down.

Paul

This is XP Pro, more to the point I did not encrypt these Windows must've decided to do it by itself...

No Trainz on Linux :p

Well a friend who works as an IT for oil and gas company downtown here will run it through an efs decryptor they have at work so I might be able to recover my assets. If not I'm in for a real pain getting all that stuff back ...

Omber,

just a thought - based on some experience I had regarding Windows & dBase files....

Windows can "compress" files to reduce their size. While this is fine for Word/Excel files, it played havoc with dBase files 'cos they both used the same flag in the file header - Windows = "compressed"; dBase = "encrypted" then dbase would try to decrypt the file & fail...

Is it possible you have a similar problem?

Cheers,

Colin

Omber,

just a thought - based on some experience I had regarding Windows & dBase files....

Windows can "compress" files to reduce their size. While this is fine for Word/Excel files, it played havoc with dBase files 'cos they both used the same flag in the file header - Windows = "compressed"; dBase = "encrypted" then dbase would try to decrypt the file & fail...

Is it possible you have a similar problem?

Cheers,

Colin

No dBase here mate, but good idea. I'm loading what the data recovery loaded overnight - with any luck I can retrieve the keys and dump them into the decryptor but it will take ages - I had 13 gigs of content including builtin stuff :p

If you copied it over to the second HD why not just copy it back then delete the assets.tdx file. Will CMP import a file that has already been imported by itself in the first place. If you copied the content they would already have been committed by CMP.

Because, if you read on :p, the files were encrypted by Windows using EFS and are unaccessible by this installation of Windows.

I was unable to recover the encryption keys ... now how do I get my payware content back :(.

I did not know AEFSDR can do that, I'll have to have a look at it again .. maybe not all is lost!

Back