Subfolder ._trainz_asset_overlay in backup folder ?

belgian46

Hello everybody,

In my local data backups folders I have the subfolder ._trainz_asset_overlay

The subfolder is present within the backup folder of my Tram Train route and latest session.

I can no longer open my Tram Train route and latest session for editing.

Does anyone know why this subfolder ._trainz_asset_overlay occurs?

The subfolder ._trainz_asset_overlay is empty.

I have this subfolder in my backupfolders of April,11 - April,13 - April,14 - April,15 -

Not in the backupfolder of April,16 and my backupfolder of my Tram Train route ( asset ) is empty on April,18

Any ideas for a solution?

Thank you

Kind regards

Kurt:wave:

Hello everybody,

In my local data backups folders I have the subfolder ._trainz_asset_overlay

The subfolder is present within the backup folder of my Tram Train route and latest session.

I can no longer open my Tram Train route and latest session for editing.

Does anyone know why this subfolder ._trainz_asset_overlay occurs?

The subfolder ._trainz_asset_overlay is empty.

I have this subfolder in my backupfolders of April,11 - April,13 - April,14 - April,15 -

Not in the backupfolder of April,16 and my backupfolder of my Tram Train route ( asset ) is empty on April,18

Any ideas for a solution?

Thank you

Kind regards

Kurt:wave:

Hi Kurt,

I just checked my setup. The route-folders have the ._trainz_asset_overly folder but the sessions do not.

Your crash has nothing to do with this information. If you want to restore the backup, you take a .tzarc file and copy that to your user data/edit folder and run a DBR.

Hi Kurt,

I just checked my setup. The route-folders have the ._trainz_asset_overly folder but the sessions do not.

Your crash has nothing to do with this information. If you want to restore the backup, you take a .tzarc file and copy that to your user data/edit folder and run a DBR.

Hi John,

Thank you for your reply - very much appreciated :).

Well, I just checked my backups folder again and I have sessions with the ._trainz_asset_overlay subfolder.

I already tried the procedure with the .tzarc file but without any success.

The route involved has the following tzarc file - kuid 457924 100730.tzarc ( 445 Mb ) in backup folder of April 15, , however I also have the same route with the following tzarc name kuid 457924 100730.tzarc_607182800 ( 445 Mb ) also in backup folder or April 15, or kuid 457924 100730.tzarc_961944387 ( 307Mb ) in backup folder of April 18th. Remarkable is the difference in Mb size.

In my backup folder of April,16 I have the following folder kuid 457924 100730 TRTR 1000mm 070422 af, and it contains 7458 items. I have that same folder in the backup folder of April,18, however that folder is completely empty.

The folder kuid 457924 100730 TRTR 1000mm 070422 also pops up in my backup folder of April, 11 with 48 items - April,13 with 51 items - April,14 with 91 items - April,15 with 23 items.

I have tried to restore the folder kuid 457924 100730 TRTR 1000mm 070422 af with the 7458 items in content manager, but I keep on receiving the same result.

I can open TRS19 but not the route nor the session.

Kind regards

Kurt :wave:

3 things to try Kurt
-when you try to restore: 457924 100730.tzarc_607182800, remove all random characters at the end,
so rename to: 457924 100730.tzarc and put that in the open for edit folder, then DBR

-Any asset/route you want to restore Trainz needs a config.txt
the directory: kuid 457924 100730 TRTR 1000mm 070422 af,
contains 7458 items has a good chance to be restored as it is complete
but it needs a good config.txt
What you can try if you find the config, change the username to currentname_restore
so you can see if it is restored in Trainz

-if you have a full directory with a config.txt, copy it somewhere
change the kuid and the name, then drag it in CM and see if it takes it

good luck and reading this again makes me realize, Trainz needs an easier way to restore
hope this helps GM

3 things to try Kurt
-when you try to restore: 457924 100730.tzarc_607182800, remove all random characters at the end,
so rename to: 457924 100730.tzarc and put that in the open for edit folder, then DBR

-Any asset/route you want to restore Trainz needs a config.txt
the directory: kuid 457924 100730 TRTR 1000mm 070422 af,
contains 7458 items has a good chance to be restored as it is complete
but it needs a good config.txt
What you can try if you find the config, change the username to currentname_restore
so you can see if it is restored in Trainz

-if you have a full directory with a config.txt, copy it somewhere
change the kuid and the name, then drag it in CM and see if it takes it

good luck and reading this again makes me realize, Trainz needs an easier way to restore
hope this helps GM

Hi GM,

Thank you for your reply - also very much appreciated. :)

I will try out your suggestions and report ASAP.

Kind regards

Hi GM,

I checked all my backups and only 1 folder ( date April,16) has 7458 items ( config.txt ) included. I already imported that folder and it is being accepted in CM, but when opening the route, the opening screen pops up and the 4 little squares keep on turning. The window and TRS19 can only be closed via Task manager.

I made a copy of that folder, opened the config.txt and changed the kuid-nr to a non-existing kuid-nr and also changed the name.
Imported the folder in CM - it is also accepted. However when opening the route, the windows opens, cache process is started, finishes and then the four little squares keep on turning and they would turn indefenitely if I didn't stop Trs19 via Task manager.

Trying to restore the Tzarc files has the same result - all are accepted in CM - but afterwards the little squares keep on turning ...

I also checked the size of the 457924 100730 kuid and the size is to small - it is only 300Mb and it should be around 435Mb.

One other thing I tried is the following - made a new route ( 1 baseboard ) and merge the new route with my tram train route ( 457924 100730 ) - I can select the asset but I only see a very small part of the route ( 5% or less ) and when clicking on ok to start the merging process, TRS2019 shuts down completely.

I think, something must have happened with my SSD harddisk ( although no error is shown ). Alternate backups couldn't come to the rescue.

I have also made a helpdesk ticket and if the helpdesk cannot revive my tram/train route, then propably the only option left is to go for a previous version of my route and try to connect the latest session of my tram/train route to it. It know this method worked in TS12, but don't know if the method functions in TRS2019.

Kind regards

Last edited:
Sad to hear Kurt,
Belgian routes are rare and yours is the biggest I know of
I see on your timeline you have TANE, is the route there ?
if so, maybe work there, the added benefit all userrs of TANE TRS19/TRS22 can use it if you share
and working in TANE keeps it light, important for a big route

I had it with NLW7 when Sp2 came out, the spline issues ruined a 10 year old route
from then on I only work on it in Build 100240, the most stable I have here.

btw there are programs that restore data from a harddisk, the problem is that you don't exactly know what to look for
because of the complicated file structure Trainz has now.

Hope you do not give up and try to have fun with Trainz
greetings GM

Hi GM,

Nearly 10 years busy with the route, due to designing I'm not happy with and like to design in an other way, or challenges brought by Trainz ( whatever the version I'm working in ).

I have Tane - however only build 94916 and build 105766 are still useable, other like build 90945 or build 100544 are no longer supported and cannot longer be used ( those versions will not connect to one of N3V-servers ).

The route is in Tane but not in the same configuration.

But something strange has occured with the problem asset ( kuid 457924 100730 ) of the tram/train route.

I can do a drive session with the latest session connected to problem asset ( kuid 457924 100730 ).

I can even save the drive session, but within drive session I cannot switch to Edit in Surveyor classic because Trs2019 blocks and I have to end Trs2019 within Task manager.

Within the drive session I can see the latest changes ( terrain height, etc ... ) I made within that session.

But, I did also the following, made a clone of the latest session ( with the terrain height changes, etc ) and connected the cloned session to a previous and nearly identical tram/train route. When opening the cloned session within that route kuid 100725 ) - my latest changes are not all available and as far as I checked, the terrain height changes are also not present.

I checked with some harddisk tools and no errors were found on my SSD-drive ( local data stored ).However, when starting Tane build 105766 - Trs 19 doesn't present my routes and sessions.

But, when changing within Trainz settings - install ( local data folder ) to an alternate location ( SATA-drive ) no issues are presented and all routes/session within Tane build 105766 are available.

So in TRS19 I changed the local data folder settings to the alternate location, but unfortunately the problem asset ( kuid 457924 100730 ) remains a problem. The small squares keep on turning and I have to close Trs 19 via Task manager.

On my SSD-HD I checked for any delete, or other files, but no files of the problem kuid 100730 were visible.

Kind regards

Back