More problems with the latest version that I have for TRS2022

rhban

Once again, thanks to those who solved my last lot of AI problems, but there are other problems, some of which were not there a few builds ago.
1. The route I am creating is set more or less in Australia. I double checked, but I am officially supposed to be using the metric system, but...
under the AI at least, it appears my train is travelling at a number of mph. Now, since I am in my eighties, I do remember vaguely what miles were, but I haven't used them for decades, and I have no use for them. Does anyone use them apart from the
USA? Whatever - if my "world" is set to metric, then metric is what I should see.
2. It appears that once I save a Session, I can no longer edit it. This means that every time I want to add a new train or indeed any other new tweak, I have to start again from scratch. This is not very useful.
3. I am sure there are numbers 3 or greater, but I can't think of them at the moment

OK, I've already hit a new problem - see photo:
Screen_Shot_2022-04-01_at_8.01.57_am.png

I hope you can read the above - instead of allowing me to add Navigate to, Drive to, Load, etc., it is only offering me that other set of instructions which are of no use to me in this situation.

Once again, thanks to those who solved my last lot of AI problems, but there are other problems, some of which were not there a few builds ago.
1. The route I am creating is set more or less in Australia. I double checked, but I am officially supposed to be using the metric system, but...
under the AI at least, it appears my train is travelling at a number of mph. Now, since I am in my eighties, I do remember vaguely what miles were, but I haven't used them for decades, and I have no use for them. Does anyone use them apart from the
USA? Whatever - if my "world" is set to metric, then metric is what I should see.
2. It appears that once I save a Session, I can no longer edit it. This means that every time I want to add a new train or indeed any other new tweak, I have to start again from scratch. This is not very useful.
3. I am sure there are numbers 3 or greater, but I can't think of them at the moment

OK, I've already hit a new problem - see photo:
Screen_Shot_2022-04-01_at_8.01.57_am.png

I hope you can read the above - instead of allowing me to add Navigate to, Drive to, Load, etc., it is only offering me that other set of instructions which are of no use to me in this situation.

1.While in driver you can press the G key and it will switch between metric and imperial. You can also go up to the top bar one of that tabs has "edit route" menu and you can change metric or imperial there. To my knowledge region has no bearing on what system you use.
2.Not sure but you switch between driving and surveyor on the top bar. Making route edits also saves to the session.
3.In your screenshot right below "driver setup" is "driver commands" edit that and make sure all the commands you want are checked. Then they should appear in making schedules.

1.While in driver you can press the G key and it will switch between metric and imperial. You can also go up to the top bar one of that tabs has "edit route" menu and you can change metric or imperial there. To my knowledge region has no bearing on what system you use.
2.Not sure but you switch between driving and surveyor on the top bar. Making route edits also saves to the session.
3.In your screenshot right below "driver setup" is "driver commands" edit that and make sure all the commands you want are checked. Then they should appear in making schedules.

Thank you. I will certainly try the trick with the G key. I am careful to make a distinction between route and session. Of course, I sometimes get it wrong and end up with two sets of signals or speed signs because I've inserted them at both levels, but that doesn't happen often. I'm not sure what you mean about 'driver commands' - the only change I made there was to add 'Drive to', but the point is they should not be appearing here in this place - normally I would see them by clicking the double caret at the bottom of the Drive Session screen.
ONE BIG PROBLEM WITH TRS2022 on Mac is that, on full screen - and who would not prefer to play using the entire screen? - there is always a white bar at the top of the window with controls for closing or resizing the screen, and this covers the Trainz controls. Obviously, I can get round this by making the window smaller, but I never had to do that with Trainz for Mac or TANE, and it is yet another big nuisance.

As hert states above, you can quickly toggle between Imperial and Metric working unit values in-game by hitting the 'G' key.
In Surveyor, the Edit Route... dialog sets/ associates the Region assigned to a route and does indeed allow you to set whether the route defaults to Imperial or Metric measures. I set this as one of the first steps I take in building a new route as it also influences the Ruler measurement scales.
In Session Edit... mode, you can Add/ Edit additional Driver Commands and Session variables. Choose ADD Rule to include additional rules from the rather extensive built-in list available - or EDIT Driver Command to see a checklist of Driver Commands which you can tick to apply - or untick to remove from - your Driver's available right-click menu options in game.

Glad it's sorted...

The UK still uses miles etc... causes me fun when we visit the Antipodes - drive on the left, speed in kph!

As above, if you use the region "Australia" for the route, it should default to km and kph

Colin

It does indeed default to kph, but the AI apparently is unaware of this and tells me my train's speed in leagues... I mean miles per hour. Very quaint. The UK is strange as it uses miles in some places and kilometres (incorrectly pronounced*) in others.

* Most Brits seem to stress the O in kilometre so it sounds like barometer, thermometer, gasometer, which are alll measuring devices and spelt with "meter".
Measurements, on the other hand are spelt "metre" and nobody stresses the second syllable in "millImetre" or "centImetre", so I never understand why some say "kilOmetre". Some Australians do it too, but mostly in ignorant places in New South Wales.

As hert states above, you can quickly toggle between Imperial and Metric working unit values in-game by hitting the 'G' key.
In Surveyor, the Edit Route... dialog sets/ associates the Region assigned to a route and does indeed allow you to set whether the route defaults to Imperial or Metric measures. I set this as one of the first steps I take in building a new route as it also influences the Ruler measurement scales.
In Session Edit... mode, you can Add/ Edit additional Driver Commands and Session variables. Choose ADD Rule to include additional rules from the rather extensive built-in list available - or EDIT Driver Command to see a checklist of Driver Commands which you can tick to apply - or untick to remove from - your Driver's available right-click menu options in game.

I'm more or less OK with all of that, but now I seem to be stuck with my AI driver not doing anything. I have checked the bottom of the 3 dots, I have made sure my driver is in the locomotive, I have checked the doubtle caret to Drive Schedule, but nothing is happening,

Anyone (including the OP I think, and certainly myself at one time) experiencing confusion on TRS22 sessions, or new to the Unified Driver Surveyor (UDS) in general, should spend time here:

How to Use the UDS Interface - TrainzOnline (ts2009.com)

The most important thing to learn is that train locations are saved to the session, so saving a session after running trains (whether in driver or surveyor mode un-paused) means the trains will no longer be in their original starting position.

Just to clarify (and I am not currently experiencing train issues), if you save a Session ... then yes, the train's position is saved in that Session however ... the Session just saved is not the initial Session. i.e. The train locations when the Session was created should not change. Only the Session that is Saved while running it. At the risk off confusing things further, when I am testing a Route, I will often have 3-4 different saved Sessions saved against the same Route..... so I have a specific train saved at multiple locations. I just select whichever Session represents the location being tested at that time. Makes sense to me anyway!!!! :) Regards to all. Colin.

Anyone (including the OP I think, and certainly myself at one time) experiencing confusion on TRS22 sessions, or new to the Unified Driver Surveyor (UDS) in general, should spend time here:

How to Use the UDS Interface - TrainzOnline (ts2009.com)

The most important thing to learn is that train locations are saved to the session, so saving a session after running trains (whether in driver or surveyor mode un-paused) means the trains will no longer be in their original starting position.

I have now read this. I find it strange that they are claiming this is an improvement on what we were used to. I see no use for it at all - you end up with your consists in the wrong places or you return to your uncorrected version. How is this useful?

I see no use for it at all - you end up with your consists in the wrong places or you return to your uncorrected version. How is this useful?

It sounds like you're making your edits in the session layer. If only your trains are in the session layer, and your edits are made in the route layer, you keep all your edits, and keep your starting positions.

To keep starting locations:
1. Edit session and place your consists (in the session layer)
2. Switch to Driver (and drive)
3. Switch back to Surveyor and select the Route layer
4. Repeat 2 and 3 as often as you like
5. Save and choose Overwrite Route and Do not save Session

This ensures your session layer is untouched and your route edits are saved.

It sounds like you're making your edits in the session layer. If only your trains are in the session layer, and your edits are made in the route layer, you keep all your edits, and keep your starting positions.

To keep starting locations:
1. Edit session and place your consists (in the session layer)
2. Switch to Driver (and drive)
3. Switch back to Surveyor and select the Route layer
4. Repeat 2 and 3 as often as you like
5. Save and choose Overwrite Route and Do not save Session

This ensures your session layer is untouched and your route edits are saved.

Is UDS included in standard TS22? I never really know what the base game has, having Trainz+

I have now read this. I find it strange that they are claiming this is an improvement on what we were used to. I see no use for it at all - you end up with your consists in the wrong places or you return to your uncorrected version. How is this useful?

To those of us that model real freight car movements, this feature allows us to save the positions of the consists where they are at the end of the day after switching movements. We can pick up where we left off the next day just like in real life. :) This is how we ran operating sessions on our model railroads. For decades, we had to use saved game files to do this but they suffered from scripts errors because not all scripts reset themselves properly when restarting the saved game file.

Of course if you model passenger train operations, where day after day the trains run the same paths starting at the same location and ending at the same location, I can see where this excellent feature might not have much value.

To those of us that model real freight car movements, this feature allows us to save the positions of the consists where they are at the end of the day after switching movements. We can pick up where we left off the next day just like in real life. :) This is how we ran operating sessions on our model railroads. For decades, we had to use saved game files to do this but they suffered from scripts errors because not all scripts reset themselves properly when restarting the saved game file.

Of course if you model passenger train operations, where day after day the trains run the same paths starting at the same location and ending at the same location, I can see where this excellent feature might not have much value.

Thanks for the reply. I now understand the problem - different problems for different users.

What I have to remember is not to save the session, even though the game desperately wants me to do so. So, yes, I had finally worked out that I must do as you suggest. I always keep my trains at session level and everything else at route level, though I know some creators like to add ground, scenery and even track at session level, which seems strange to me.

And now the final straw: my route that I have been working on for the last couple of weeks, and which was finally beginning to look like something with working trains, has now apparently disappeared from the site. I have rechecked my login and password, but it keeps telling me that no route matches my profile.

And now the final straw: my route that I have been working on for the last couple of weeks, and which was finally beginning to look like something with working trains, has now apparently disappeared from the site. I have rechecked my login and password, but it keeps telling me that no route matches my profile.

Presumably you have a backup? My past experience with Trainz dictates backups every day for Routes currently in progress. Regards. Colin.

Back