Possible TS19 Trainzplus bug

Sean_lee

When I have got a route to some sort of completion {they are never finished} I will drive for a few days to find my mistakes and what did I do there edits. Today I was going thru my list of corrections to do. Deleting the session first, and then going to Edit Route. Was going fine until I selected an Object that needed naming. Total Freeze and lock up. OK Ctrl Alt Del. and reload Edit Route/ Get the message unsubmitted edits as per usual. Use changes ok. Load route no changes showing. MMmmm. Go to Content manager my content of route, its open for edit. ok no problem. Submit edits. Load route, still no changes. So I assume the ether ate whatever I had done. Lucky it was not alot but its a start again later and save to a new session. But I wont leave it for an hour this time. Any other ideas, seems like a timing bug to me. Task manager was also showing like 1,977465mb in TS19. so something went Awry.

Endless possibilities here. It could be a bug, it could be a faulty asset (plenty of them to go around), it could have been something that you did (intentionally or not), it could have been the holiday season.

Starting with your first step - deleting the session. What was in the session? Did it contain any assets that you thought were in route layers but had accidentally placed in into session layers instead? Did the "Unsubmitted Edits" message list just the route or the route and session?

Some points to note:

• "No changes showing" does not mean that there were no changes.
  • "Open for Edit" is always shown in CM when a route or a route and a session are loaded into Surveyor or Driver. You did not make it clear if you had exited Surveyor before loading CM. Submitting an open route/session in CM while it is still open in Surveyor should not work.

Had a few of one particular asset in various places, 2 I had named ok. Got to the 3rd one and freeze and lock up.
In the session would have been all my edited route, I never edit route in session, I only place consists.
Not sure now as to whether the unsubmitted edits said both route and session. Assume it would be route only as no session was attached at that point it crashed.
When opening route after submitting edits any changes I had done, where not there.
Content manager open for edit, showed a default, plus New asset but with no details eg size in kb. And my Route. I deleted the default and new asset ghost. To avoid any issues.
Always exit surveyor before loading content manager, always do a database repair before loading CM
So I dont know what happened, but it was all in the day of the life of Trainz.

Your freeze probably occurred before you saved. The New assets you see with your user id are the temporary, scratch saves of your route. These never had the opportunity to overwrite what was left open. By deleting those new assets, you lost your temporary scratch copies most likely.

Definitely run a DBR after an incident like this to clean up anything that might by lying around after this kind of crash.

I'm with pware on this one. I've had faulty assets, meaning they check out okay but there's something wrong internally such as a script or corrupted mesh that will throw Trainz off its horse and right on the ground very quickly. Trainz, by the way, isn't the only program affected by these things. I use Cities Skylines and that has done the same thing due to a bad asset. The unfortunate part, their content manager has a lot to be desired and which asset caused the problem is difficult to find and requires digging through saved data logs to find it.

Correct never got to save before it crashed. The way I look at it was where I left off I can do better.

Exactly. Who knows what you might have ended up with if it had saved. I've had that occur before and ended up with a trashed route.

Back