I'm lost between TAIN and TRAINZ 2019

Hello everybody,

I do not understand the real difference between TAIN and TRAINZ 2019.

As I understand ( but maybe I'm wrong ) they are two different products. I've installed TRAINZ 2019 on my computer and it's referenced as TANE in installed programs list ?

May somebody help me.

Have a nice day.

Michel.

It is exactly the same on my system and I have Trainz Plus installed. In my Settings/Apps it is listed as TANE and I have never had TANE installed on my current computer.

This has more to do with the way that Windows has categorized/listed/what-ever the program than it has to do with the program itself.

The "proof of the pudding" is what happens when you start the program from its screen icon - does TRS19 or T:ANE start? In my case it is Trainz Plus that starts and that is all that matters.

Technically it has to do with how Windows reads the internal file information in the installer. N3V used the same packaging program to create the TRS2019 installer and the information wasn't updated to reflect that and was left as TANE so now we see TANE.exe instead of TRS19.exe in the programs and features (I hate that name) list of installed programs.

The other thing that's confusing is each time a service pack goes in, it lists as a separate program which it is not. This makes the list in programs and features appear there's a lot more programs installed than the single one with a service pack. I ruined my install when this first occurred by deleting the other installs and ended up reinstalling the program all over again.

Thank for your reply John,

That makes sense and that is coherent wiith what I see.

Does this mean that it is not advisable to install the different versions, TANE and 2019 for example, on the same computer ?

Michel

Thank for your reply John,

That makes sense and that is coherent wiith what I see.

Does this mean that it is not advisable to install the different versions, TANE and 2019 for example, on the same computer ?

Michel

No, many of us have multiple versions and installs, what it says under installed programs is pretty much irrelevant as the uninstaller doesn't work after you have patched as the files are different, Trainz has a very minimal
amount of registry entries so just deleting is the normal way of removing it.
Only thing you need to do is keep the two local data folders separate, can't use the same one for both without creating a complicated mess.

Could I just ask what is probably a dumb ? - Is it ok to dl and install my TANE routes into TS19 or is there some way of pointing TS19 at them in TANE so I dont have two identical copys of a route on the SDD

Could I just ask what is probably a dumb ? - Is it ok to dl and install my TANE routes into TS19 or is there some way of pointing TS19 at them in TANE so I dont have two identical copys of a route on the SDD

No!

as I said

Only thing you need to do is keep the two local data folders separate, can't use the same one for both without creating a complicated mess.

You must keep your local data for each version separate, failure to do so will break both installs and require a long full data base repair each time you start up the other version which may or may not fix anything.

If you have saved a route in a higher version it will not work in a lower one due to code changes, so not worth trying it.

but if I owned it or bought it as tane dlc (or it was part of the tane std but is not included in TRS19) am I ok to now download it into TS19 through the TS19 interface - its hard to see at the moment using the purchased menu in TS19 because at the moment it thinks you have purchased everything due to the promotion

Last edited:
but if I owned it or bought it as tane dlc am I ok to now download it into TS19 through the TS19 interface

Yes. What you purchased in TANE is carried over to TRS19. That's the awesome part of Trainz. You lose nothing, or barely anything for that matter, as you upgrade. I only lost two very, very old DLC packages I purchased about 12 years ago, for example, with all the other content moving on and ahead into the new versions. I can still load up my ca. January 2005 route I created in TRS2004 after a bit of fiddling, into TRS19 and TRS22.

Back