Trainz Superelevation Calculation Excel File

gtasa

Die Hard IC/CN Fan
There was an excel file that automatically put the values you need to make the curves in TANE. I was wondering if anyone had a copy of the excel file because the wiki link no longer works.

Some months back I posted some tables to assist in calculating the P1 and P2 vertex input parameters used by Trainz to calculate the cant or bank angle that it applies to the track. They are based on US requirements specified in 49CFR 213 which governs minimum Federal standards for US railroads. The 1st post using primarily US customary units is here and the 2nd using metric units is found directly after it.

The main table assumes standard gage track with a superelevation of 5 inches for the US units and 120 mm for the metric version. A companion table allows for correcting the results for superelevation different from 5 inches or 120mm used in the metric version. I also provide values to use if you are interested in modeling the length of the run-in and out of the superelevation.

The tables assume that an allowed speed for the track curve is specified and the corresponding P1 and P2 values are required. As long as the actual radius of the curve is equal to or greater than the minimum radius indicated in the table for that speed Trainz will calculate an appropriate cant angle/superelevation that supports that speed. However, if the radius is less the one indicated in the table Trainz will limit the angle/superelevation to the one specified by the P2 parameter. In this case the allowed speed on the curve will be less than the one used to enter the table. The notes accompanying the table indicate how to calculate the allowed speed for this case. Other options would be to increase the superelevation up to the maximum permitted or increase the radius of the curve or both as deemed appropriate. For many practicable situations a reduction in allowed speed is the only option.

The formulas I used are provided in the posts and can be used to create your own spreadsheet. Calculating the superelevation for a given curve radius and allowed speed is straight forward and easy to implement. In those cases where the calculated superelevation exceeds the max permitted value, calculating a minimum radius to use with the max permitted superelevation or the reduced maximum allowed speed to use with the input radius would also be easy to implement in the spreadsheet. My own spreadsheet doesn't calculate the values in a format similar to the way the spreadsheet you're looking for does. I don't have a copy of that one but looking at the wiki I noted a few errors in the results shown for the examples. I can't say if they are typos in the discussion or errors in the spreadsheet.

Bob Pearson

Last edited:
Back