Locomotive works fine but enginespec does not show up on the CM

Paul_Bert

Train Enthusiast
I am using the B&O SD40 engine <kuid2:95761:1011:2>. It uses the enginespec <kuid-1:42004221>. The engine works fine.

The strange thing is that I cannot find the enginespec list in the CM. Maybe I am blind, or could it be that this engine spec is hidden? Several other engines I also use in my routes also use the same engine spec.

It is possible that <kuid-1:42004221> has been obsoleted by another engine spec. The usual method of obsoleting assets is to increase their kuid value - e.g. <kuid1234:5678> becomes <kuid2:1234:5678:1> but you can also obsolete an asset by adding its kuid into the obsolete tag of an asset with a completely different kuid sequence.

e.g. an asset <kuid1234:5678> may have an obsolete tag that includes <kuid-1:42004221> as one of its entries thus replacing that engine-spec. This would mean that you would have to search through all the installed engine-spec assets to find the replacement asset.

My theory anyway.

It's now <kuid:-25:788> which obsoletes it.

N3V have updated a lot of the old -1:xxxxxx files, several years back. If you do a List Asset Versions in CM it should show up.

Thanks for the input. I will try <kuid:-25:788>. The mystery is why the older kuid is still referenced in the locomotive config file.

The loco config file would not be updated. Its engine spec would still point to the original and now obsolete asset.

The way I believe it works (and I could be totally wrong here) is that when the loco is loaded into Driver, Trainz would notice, from its database, that the engine-spec kuid referenced by the loco has been replaced by another asset with a totally different kuid. The new asset would then used for the engine-spec instead of the original.

Again, my theory.

Pretty much how it works. No need to change the original loco config.

@Paul_Bert

If you list the dependencies for the loco in CM it should show the engine-spec that the game uses for this asset somewhere in the list. For the B&O SD40 I see: <kuid:-25:788> SD40-2 enginespec. Right click on that one and select list asset versions. I see:
<kuid:-25:788> SD40-2 enginespec
<kuid:-1:42004221> SD40-2 enginespec

Might as well let CM help us out where it can.

Bob Pearson

Last edited:
Back