Thread: The Amazing Looping Railroad You've Never Heard of Before

United States of America, Georgia, Rocky Face
    Blog Entries

Default The Amazing Looping Railroad You've Never Heard of Before

Tickets for trains over this loop are available here: https://www.tvrail.com/

Last edited by jordon412; May 7th, 2021 at 02:52 PM.
    Owner of Freeman Locomotive Works.

Interesting to watch that 105-car train go around that. Nice drone footage! Did they mention the grade on that?
    “We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best we can find in our travels is an honest friend.” - R.L.S.

That was a well put together video. Could be an interesting Trainz project?
    Malc

Earth, Solar System, Milky Way, Virgo Cluster, Laniakea Supercluster, Universe

Well I know what I'm adding to my Coal County extension now...

Blog Entries

It was fascinating watching the same train going the same way in two places at once! Even on the Copper Canyon (Mexico) you don't see that, at least not with the passenger train, and not on the Tehachapi Loop.

All that flange squeal tells us the line wasn't designed with 60-80 foot cars. They were wise to use B+B power, C+C units are known to shave steel off the rails. Wonder if they checked for shavings after that run.

Guess there's a prototype for everything!

:B~)

Together in Trainzing!

Quote Originally Posted by jordon412 View Post
    The Amazing Looping Railroad You've Never Heard of Before
    That loop is amazing indeed! Thanks for the info.

Quote Originally Posted by bnsfc View Post
    Well I know what I'm adding to my Coal County extension now...
    That would be a great CC extension! Nice idea. :-)
    Last edited by OddRails; May 8th, 2021 at 01:58 AM. Reason: create double quote
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Forester1 View Post
    Interesting to watch that 105-car train go around that. Nice drone footage! Did they mention the grade on that?
    Note that the train in the video is going downgrade.

In a rough copy using an 1/3 arc-second dem with track and terrain that hasn't yet been smoothed out, I'm seeing an average of 4.26% -- I hope that's wrong. (123.45m rise, 2894m run) This would be a good place for a 1/9 arc-second dem, but I haven't learned how to get those from The National Map client.
    Dave

United States of America, Georgia, Rocky Face
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RHKluckhohn View Post
    It was fascinating watching the same train going the same way in two places at once! Even on the Copper Canyon (Mexico) you don't see that, at least not with the passenger train, and not on the Tehachapi Loop.

All that flange squeal tells us the line wasn't designed with 60-80 foot cars. They were wise to use B+B power, C+C units are known to shave steel off the rails. Wonder if they checked for shavings after that run.

Guess there's a prototype for everything!

:B~)
    There are curves on the line that are too sharp for six-axle locomotives, hence another reason why the L&N built the new line that bypasses the loop. The cars you see have been in storage in the yard in Copperhill for some time, normally trains are one locomotive and several passenger cars, so there isn't as much flange squeal as in this video.
    Owner of Freeman Locomotive Works.

Quote Originally Posted by OddRails View Post
    I'm seeing an average of 4.26%
    Wow. I should have known that the grade that I gave for the Hiwassee Loop was improbable. Well, I did know it was unusually steep, but I was trusting that my rise/run numbers were correct. They weren't.

After smoothing out the track around the loop the best I could, I rechecked the numbers and discovered that my "rise" was way off. My new average gradient for the loop is just below 1.5%, which is a much more sensible number.

I apologize for the nonsense I posted earlier. It was thoughtful of everyone not to call me an idiot on the spot.
    Dave