Ugly lighting

dundun92

UK Content Creator
Is there any fix for this?

akoEEsTk_o.png
4ks3rMWK_o.png
OsDqupb4_o.png
DLXlC1tj_o.png

Yeah considering NV made a big thing about this loco being the most detailed in-cab UK model in their newsletter and was one of the reasons I upgraded to Trainz+ it is most disappointing and totally unusable for me.:'(

Quick question: Have you got your Trainz Settings set to the Ultra or highest levels of detail for all parameters that affect appearance?
Importantly, have you got your Shadow Quality set to 'Ultra' and Main Shadow Resolution set to 4096?

Quick question: Have you got your Trainz Settings set to the Ultra or highest levels of detail for all parameters that affect appearance?
Importantly, have you got your Shadow Quality set to 'Ultra' and Main Shadow Resolution set to 4096?
No to all.. I keep my settings low for performance.

So that's the answer. The 'fix for this' is to set those Trainz Settings (Performance tab) parameters - except for Post Processing (set this to 'Low') - to the highest details available and re-start the game to view the difference.

Last edited:
Ok so not even 4096 or Ultra lighting alone fixes the problem.... Literally have to crank everything up to max. (And its still slightly visible...)

After some testing myself I concur exactly with dundun92.
So I can either keep my performance settings and share the cab with shadows that are an aberration or set everything to ultra and still see a slight anomaly then continue to jerk and stutter as I drive around my route - very disappointing.
I was going to continue here with a rant but I won't bother as at my age the only person who will suffer is me!
BTW I also noticed a problem with the wipers in that they are difficult to turn off and even when I managed to do that the wiper motor continues to sound with a constant thud, thud, thud even though they are stationary.

Things to check for the best possible Graphics.
Make sure that you are using the correct Monitor Cables-Display Port, DVI Dual Link, or the HDMI cables that match the Monitors refresh rate settings.

I had my Monitor set at 120hz and got this same very issue, looking at my Desk Top there were white dots everywhere and the Icon Short cut letters were distorted. I was trying to push 120hz with the DVI Cable and that does not work, plugged in the Display Port Cable and all was perfect and good. Not Sure, but I think that the HDMI is limited too on how high the Refresh rate can be set.
Hope this helps.
Happy New Year!

Last edited:
Hi All
To get the best possible looking shadows when in a cab view, you will need to increase your shadow detail and shadow resolution to maximum. If you lower these settings, then it will lower the shadow resolution, and shadow detail. This does mean that shadows will become less accurate, and particularly within cab views may start to show more artifacts.

Regards

Hi All
To get the best possible looking shadows when in a cab view, you will need to increase your shadow detail and shadow resolution to maximum. If you lower these settings, then it will lower the shadow resolution, and shadow detail. This does mean that shadows will become less accurate, and particularly within cab views may start to show more artifacts.

Regards

Less accurate!!!! Geez I would say a more accurate description would be Terrible, Horrible, Disgusting or a complete joke!!!! Perhaps you could have mentioned this as a caveat in your newsletter promoting this cab for Trainz+ of which I feel I have been suckered into upgrading. But to quote the famous Who song - "I won't get fooled again"

Regards

Have to say, it looks pretty horrible and not wishing to make more undue comparisons you don't have to push TS2021, TSW2 or Run 8 up to maximum graphics settings to ensure no horrible visual artefacts.

Or you could do what I did when I got tired of strange black fungus-like blobs crawling all over everything and turn shadows off.

I make less detailed cabs still in gmax, only 6400 poly
all knobs and dials work and no matter how much you zoom in
no artifacts in whatever setting you do in Trainz from low to ultra
so could it be its not trainz but the FBX exporter isnt working quite right?

teecab8.jpg

this is the cab, like it was in 1957, of the RAmTEE/Northlander train i work on.

greetings GM

Or you could do what I did when I got tired of strange black fungus-like blobs crawling all over everything and turn shadows off.

That is the only way to cure it, Annie. This problem reared it's ugly head in TANE.

Everything here is set at Ultra or max for every setting.

Still the problem persists. Oh wait i am the customer, so it must be my fault.

The usual N3V response, to any problems with their less than stellar train game.

I make less detailed cabs still in gmax, only 6400 poly
all knobs and dials work and no matter how much you zoom in
no artifacts in whatever setting you do in Trainz from low to ultra
so could it be its not trainz but the FBX exporter isnt working quite right?

this is the cab, like it was in 1957, of the RAmTEE/Northlander train i work on.

greetings GM

If N3V wants to stay competitive, they need to match the level-of-detail and performance of their competitors, while still retaining good lighting and graphics.
Also, there is no light shining though the window to actually tell if there are artifacts.

I think the problem kicks in when trainz has to calculate more bounces and reflections against different surfaces, which increase as you add more objects to the cab. (Which is why G.M.'s simple, low-poly cabs has no issues)

Last edited:
Back