AI and the useless "Drive" command issue ..Tony are you listening ???

Looks like I'll have to stand correctly, although it took two tests before the "Drive" stopped at a crossing switch (don't know about facing), to see it actually through the switch so it could proceed. Learn something new every day (thankfully).

It really depends on a lot of variables, my 1st train had no issues at all, it came to to red signals but they would change to green without any delay since this was the lead train. Only then train #2. after encountering the combination of a long 1st train 40 plus cars and a track with a reduced speed which made the 1st train even slower to start while at a compelte stop did the second train have the issue. I'm prety confident if the 1st train had only 20 or less cars, the problem probably wuld not have showed since it would have taken the 1st train less time to get moving......also I could theoretically change the reduced speed marker train #1 encountereded to what the mainline is although it would not look realistically but could solve the issue as well.....

Just tried to issue the Drive command to a consist that i manually set to move in reverse at about 10 mph, right clicked on the loco and issued the Drive command, and it proceeded to swatch from reverse to forward and started driving. So the Drive command is a Forward Only command.

Add to list.. Drive should work in either direction, suggestions;

1) Train is stopped, Drive issued, train goes forward.
2) Train is moving, continue with the Drive command in the direction the train is currently moving.

I think this whole Drive command could be advantageous for future releases of Trainz for the casual user, and mobile devices in mind.

Railhead,

No need for ranting, just take the wheel with the AUTOPILOT command by _mutton_. With AP active (00) a train awaiting clearance for a block does not have to give up no matter how long the wait will be. If you’re referring to plain line sections with signals ensuring the turnouts are set relative in your direction.

regards, darrren

I think I've just been reading Shakespeare's Much Ado About Nothing. Trying to conceptualize why anyone would want to issue a single "Drive" command to the consist is giving me a headache. If you want to "watch" the train traverse the route, program it to do that. IMHO

EDIT: I have had a few thoughts about the Drive command and how it might be used. I'm going to do some testing and will get back with the results and assumptions.

Last edited:
If I'll not mistaken, the right click drive command is a vestigial left over from the first Trainz. Back then, there were no command queues IIRC, most routes *were* glorified circles, and trainz would go to "drive" mode (self driving) if you were moving and hopped to another train.

It should probably just be removed - or resurrected so I can hop back and "sit" in the caboose and watch the scenery while the loco continues on "autopilot".

I think if you set the direction of the train, it'll just drive in that direction. I haven't used the command in a while to remember exactly. It is useful for testing signals and crossing to ensure that they're working properly. It beats setting up track marks and a set of commands just to test a stretch of track.

Okay, the “Drive” command works as a rudimentary AI (or AIA: Artifical Intelligence Assist). I have a cattle train that I drive to Circle W ranch to pick up cows for slaughter and take them to Armour Meat packing. I used the Drive command for most of the journey and it worked great. It obeyed signals and speed. Would activate triggers when appropriate. Would respond to track side assets (whistle triggers) and would “usually” set the turn-out when approaching them from behind.

Obviously I had to take over manual control when entering the industry, but that was expected. Twice I had to intervene with other drivers (AI) and I think it mainly because I don’t have the signaling setup exactly the way it should be. For example, when an AI locks a turnout, it will not let go until you temporarily stop the schedule. That may be solved control towers, but I haven’t progressed to the point where I want to get into that.

So, bottom line. Driver does seem to work, but it is not 100% AI and will need human assistance from time to time. Nothing is ever free and that’s the case here. Driver will assist in transiting the route, but don’t expect it to be absolutely fool proof. Even the programmed AI drivers have issues from time to time. Enjoy the ride, but help your engineer out occasionally.

Last edited:
Back