Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How To Deal With Creative Burnout

Quote Originally Posted by Seane2c View Post
    You know I wonder if what I consider inspiration in awesome screenshots is actually setting too high of expectations? There was once a time where I said I could run a model railroad on plywood only provided the operation made sense.

For me elevation in DEM vs the real world has been the stumbling block. I need to simply get the best estimate and go with it. Until I have the track down where I like it, and the roadbed set I won't be able to move on at my own pace. Once I have the track down where I want then I can add the scenery and do other things at my own pace but still have fun operating.
    I found that the DEM data never really matches up perfectly with the Google Earth data. It usually calls for a + or - 3 or so meters from what the Google Earth is telling me. From there I just eye it up manually. In my project, most of the track has been long gone for decades, all I had to go by was the elevation of the known grade crossings!

i usually just play the game a bit, mess around, refresh, etc. ive stepped away for about 6 weeks was my record while resetting and ive been less active with making stuff recently as i too am going through a block. Even just going out and railfanning feels good.

Yeah I'm taking personal video from all the grade crossings and zooming further down the track than what you would get in Google Mobile images.

Again once I have decided and the tracks are at the final position then I can get to operating a bit which is a motivator as well. It's just a long grind to get to that point.

Thanks

Sean

Quote Originally Posted by BlackDiamond1964 View Post
    I'd sure hate to have all these modeling skills I learned over the years lost or forgotten. Let's say from one creator to another... what would your suggest be on what I should do?
    I know your pain, I've built some monster routes over the years. My personal recommendation to stave off burnout when routebuilding is to set a linear distance for each day's progress that is sustainable for you. For example, when I was building my long Pilbara Iron route, I did about 10-15km (6-9 miles) of work each day, whether it was tracklaying, trackside stuff, or scenery work. When the day's goal was reached, I walked away and did other things for the rest of the day. I found that by using this strategy I was actually looking forward to working on the next 10km section when I got to it the next day.

Each routebuilder is different of course - your limit might be 1 mile per day or 20 - as long as you are consistent your route will progress well.

Maybe such a strategy will work for you.
    Recently released DLS routes - DSEPR02 Pilbara Iron, and DSEPR03 HS1 London to Lille

Quote Originally Posted by anathoth71 View Post
    I know your pain, I've built some monster routes over the years. My personal recommendation to stave off burnout when routebuilding is to set a linear distance for each day's progress that is sustainable for you. For example, when I was building my long Pilbara Iron route, I did about 10-15km (6-9 miles) of work each day, whether it was tracklaying, trackside stuff, or scenery work. When the day's goal was reached, I walked away and did other things for the rest of the day. I found that by using this strategy I was actually looking forward to working on the next 10km section when I got to it the next day.

Each routebuilder is different of course - your limit might be 1 mile per day or 20 - as long as you are consistent your route will progress well.

Maybe such a strategy will work for you.

Funny, I just announced something similar just a few minutes ago...
    https://forums.auran.com/trainz/show...-Content/page5

I like the idea of setting small limits. I think for me it's more procrastination than burn out. There are some things about route building for example that is fun and other things tedious and boring.

Doing live streaming is probably my own worst enemy. I don't waste time doing editing etc. so at least I'm not that perfect when it comes to my youtube channel. But I know there are days I get lots of accomplished where others is like a writer's block.

Oddly enough my son has the same issues with his Trainz creations. Except he is not live streaming it, and just get to that block phase. I like some of the suggestions I see here. Taking is in shorter bursts, and colabroation I think are two ideas both of us are thinking about doing.

Now he has downloaded quite a bit in his spare time as a typical 12 year old. If I share him a package of my route as a backup to allow him to continue, I can see installing the package on my end may wind up taking a long time to download of the DLS I guess it's just a matter of taking things slow and keeping within limits. Perhaps dealing with 1 asset at a time in various locations might be a plan.

Thanks

Sean

Quote Originally Posted by Seane2c View Post
    I like the idea of setting small limits.

Thanks

Sean

And it is strangely satisfying to finish the designated section for the day, then roam around for a minute or two admiring your handiwork. And you get into a rhythm - I found that if I missed a day because of something boring (like going to work for example) it was tempting to do a double portion the next day to catch up ! So the jedi mind-trick is that your brain starts to want the project to proceed at the determined pace, rather than fighting burnout by doing too much. That's how it goes for me anyway.

And when you finish a major section's track/infrastructure/scenery, the test drive to see how everything came together is very satisfying, as you get to do something different for the day, even if you notice a few little things you need to modify. This also helps keep burnout at bay.

I hope it works out for you and your young'un !

A71
    Recently released DLS routes - DSEPR02 Pilbara Iron, and DSEPR03 HS1 London to Lille

Columbus, Oh USA -by the Weber Connection!

Quote Originally Posted by BlackDiamond1964 View Post
    I'm curious, what generally gets you interested in a certain project? Also didn't you release some finished routes or am I thinking of somebody else?
    Usually I like to model areas I grew up around or that have some significance to when I was a kid. I tend to stick to NS and Conrail stuff in Ohio but the relatively flat terrain here can get boring so I like to do Appalachian based stuff too. Aside from that I find the Pacific NW to be stunning though I much prefer east coast and eastern midwest railroading. I haven't released any routes, just content.
    Check out my grungy electric piano based band, "Small Movies" at http://wearesmallmovies.com/

Yeah A71 I agree, and have had some success in that. Unfortunately my memory is not the greatest so when I am distracted away from it, the more I'm away the more I forget how good it is. But I'll have to try that again for sure.

As for the last post I also do my home area right now because I have as much data and personal observations I can obtain. Grade charts and engineering diagrams is probably all that I'm missing at this point other than blueprints of local buildings But there is more than enough data for me.

Again elevation and grade are hardest to determine.

BTW sorry to ask again, someone mentioned Google Earth and DEM being off by + - 3 M. What is more reliable when it comes to the grade crossings elevation? I'm hoping it's Google only because then I can at least determine an approximate grade by observations. I notice that the roads do increase towards the grade at the rates I expect in Google. I believe the best I have is 10M dem but often is not enough to be fully accurate with the roads and roadbeds.

Thanks

Sean

I am looking for some folks to start my project up again. I'm looking to start a group of 4 or 5 and work in small sections of the Laurel Line Route. The Laurel Line is a project I've been researching for well over a decade now...lots of info! The Laurel Line is a 19 mile Interurban railroad that ran between Scranton PA to Wilkes-Barre Pa. I'm modeling it around the 1950 era. I'm hoping that with a group of people working on small sections at a time the project won't get stale and create the all mighty "Creative Burnout". I'd like to make this in TS2019 or Tane...this can be decided by the group when formed. After giving some thought I have broken down the positions in the group as followed...

1. Lead Person (Me)- I'll do the track works, build the models, coordinate work flow, release the route versions.
    2. Scenery Person-Background scenery, research
    3. Texture Person-Add ground textures, Trees, plants and bodies of water.
    4. Scenario Person-Make scenarios, work with rolling stock, add interactive passenger and industry service.
    5. Modeler Person-Help Making scenery and historical models.

I need positions 2, 3, 4 filled before I can officially start.
    All reference material will be shared between group members through my Dropbox folder.
    Freight Motors and Trolleys are already done thanks to Pweiser.
    Around 85% to 90% of the Laurel Line infrastructure has been modeled. Many items may just need small update if anything.
    There are plenty of historical models yet needed to be built...mostly other railroad content DL&W, LV, Erie, CNJ and PRR.

If you want to work in a friendly group on a Trainz project and one of these positions fill your expertise, then please PM me let me know what you are interested in. Also feel free to PM with any question you may have. I usually have s quick turn around in answering time.

United States of America, Georgia, Rocky Face
    Blog Entries

If you want to do something to get over creative burnout, it would be nice if you could help me with my Tennessee Valley Railroad Museum project. It's pretty much stalled now. I just need help with structures, the turntable, and switchstands.
    Last edited by jordon412; October 31st, 2020 at 03:11 PM.
    Owner of Freeman Locomotive Works.

Quote Originally Posted by jordon412 View Post
    If you want to do something to get over creative burnout, it would be nice if you could help me with my Tennessee Valley Railroad Museum project. It's pretty much stalled now. I just need help with structures, the turntable, and switchstands.
    Sounds interesting but I like to stick in the anthracite region...the anthracite region of the past.

If I may suggest try a semi prototypical route? I understand you feel you may not have creative juice needed, but this might help. Like you I enjoy an older style route mostly targeting the early 20th century. First target an area of interest then make a DEM.

Now here's a chance to flex those creative juices. Put pen to paper and make a list of what the route must have. Like me, throw the kitchen sink at it. Now embrace alternative history and give the railroad a reason to exist. I suggest make your own railroad company or do a what if for an existing line. One thing I enjoy doing is contacting other creators and using their fictional lines on this forum and connecting to them. Getting input from them helps flesh out the new project.

Try not being a slave to history, but go online and check out alternative history or what if topics. Example for me and my route I found the great Anglo - American War of 1928. Using that changing around a few other dates of world events and throw in a world rich in coal and poor in oil and you have a steam powered world. Biggest thing is give yourself enough wiggle room to make things fit.

Unlike you I do not possess the talent to create content. To help speed the route along only use existing content and make it fit. Of course with your talent you may find the route needs something special, whip it up, put it on the route, and move on. I believe after starting the route it will take on a life of its own and your ideas should start flowing again and the excitment return.

As I write this I'm returning from a vacation to Bryson City N.C. and a ride on the Great Smokey Mountain Railway pulled by 1701 a great steam locomotive. The sights, sounds smells, and feelings is pushing me to update the L&A to TRS19 standards along with using the suggestions given to me by the now late Norm Hart. A good train ride can do wonders for creators block.

You have made wonderful content and I look forward to seeing your new project. I would also like to offer the L&A interchange and through passenger service to your new route.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Thai1On View Post
    If I may suggest try a semi prototypical route? I understand you feel you may not have creative juice needed, but this might help. Like you I enjoy an older style route mostly targeting the early 20th century. First target an area of interest then make a DEM.
    Once again I left this information out....I also forget information!

The Laurel Line Route was made in TrainzDem a long time ago. I have have a complete DEM of the Lackawanna & Wyoming Valleys mapped out with and overlay of topographic maps from 1949. I kept a blank version of the route just in case of a situation like this! The map is ready to go, so no fuss there.

The history part that I'm stuck on is just finding basis reference pictures of buildings so I can build a fairly representative model of the structure. Many of the building and bridges I need to model are long gone!

https://trn.trains.com/~/media/impor...ilroad-map.pdf

found this, dont know how much it will help, but its just about all i could find since i too couldnt find much