Floating cars

lenscab

Hi,,, I have road spline that the cars are floating above the road, how can I make them closer to the tarmac please.
Len

I have road spline that the cars are floating above the road, how can I make them closer to the tarmac please.

Use a different road, or different cars.

The height at which cars travel on a road depends on the configuration of the meshes in both of them - they must match for cars to travel at the correct height.

I'll be the first to agree there should be a standard and its damn frustrating to see traffic I like or a road set I like suddenly not work because "reasons" buuuuut

If you are speaking of how some cabs will be way off when paired with a particular loco, there is a standard. a.cab front and the cab mesh original shall be in the physical center of the cab. The problem is a vast majority of creators ignore that.

I think the standard was the road surface needed to be 0.3m above the Z=0 level in 3D creation space, but it wasn't enforced. So it's not surprising that many creators made roads that didn't comply.

I'll be the first to agree there should be a standard and its damn frustrating to see traffic I like or a road set I like suddenly not work because "reasons" buuuuut

If you are speaking of how some cabs will be way off when paired with a particular loco, there is a standard. a.cab front and the cab mesh original shall be in the physical center of the cab. The problem is a vast majority of creators ignore that.
On the cab situation, I am referring to the height. Too often I see locos that have the cab set way above the rails, and a few where it is almost at rail level! I know there is a program to set the attachment point. But I have never been able to use it for this purpose, although I was able to change textures using it. Perhaps we need a detailed instruction of what and how to do it.. As per the roads, is there a way to change config file to set the height of road traffic? at the road or car?

SailorDan is correct. If you look very closely, you will see some roads have thickness. One such series of paved roads are the "yarnish" roads which I use and the cars do not float on them. For gravel roads, I use the "tb road - gravel" series. The roads you are using likely have no thickness (or maybe not enough) and that is why you have floating cars.

SailorDan is correct. If you look very closely, you will see some roads have thickness. One such series of paved roads are the "yarnish" roads which I use and the cars do not float on them. For gravel roads, I use the "tb road - gravel" series. The roads you are using likely have no thickness (or maybe not enough) and that is why you have floating cars.

Yes some of them have been made with the Z axis very close to zero rather than what it should be. I made my own UK roads to solve the floating car problem, there are also roads where the wheels dig into the road, it's a minefield out there! Correct Z height is actually 0.150 which works with all the builtin traffic, not 0.3 which is top of rail height for rail track.

Does that mean I can alter the config Clam?.

No. The height is set by the mesh. However the mesh for a road is usually a fairly simple slab. AssetX will give you all the details you need re size and materials, so it could be re-created at the correct height.

Len, if it's UK roads you are after, I have some and so does itareus both with pavements etc, we used the same road height, mine are prefixed CL Road xxm, xxm being the width in metres, ignore the ones without a width they are the wrong height itareus's are prefixed C+RN, might want to look at his for junctions etc.

You can reskin mine and itareus's by the way, in my case no need to ask and itareus's licence allows reskins.

Thankyou Malc,,, I will change my roads because they look silly at the moment, in fact they look futuristic (hover cars), I have no idea about reskinning so I wont bother with that. I am very pleased with how my first route is coming along thanks to the help Ive had from you guys.
I am from south cumbria bye the way.
Len

Last edited:
If one uses the “position” tag to raise the height of the road mesh, will that mean the road now floats above the ground (and probably casts a shadow underneath too)? It could look as bad or worse than the levitating vehicles.

If one uses the “position” tag to raise the height of the road mesh, will that mean the road now floats above the ground (and probably casts a shadow underneath too)? It could look as bad or worse than the levitating vehicles.

Depends on if the road has any depth rather than just being a flat plane, if using the correct height they need an edge or verge to fill the gap.

Back