Performance on a 2017 iMac?

Feek

Hi folks,

I'm considering buying the UK package of this to play on my 27" iMac but I'm a little concerned about potential performance.

It's an 4.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 with 40Gb RAM and the GPU is a Radeon Pro 580 8 GB. I'm using macOS Catalina.

How is this going to run for me, will it be acceptable?

Thanks.

Hi folks,

I'm considering buying the UK package of this to play on my 27" iMac but I'm a little concerned about potential performance.

It's an 4.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 with 40Gb RAM and the GPU is a Radeon Pro 580 8 GB. I'm using macOS Catalina.

How is this going to run for me, will it be acceptable?

Thanks.

I have a rx580 nitro on my mac pro ( which is now 10 years old) and it runs most routes well , with little stuttering, sometimes it seems to run out of grunt on my Unitah route, but that is full of old assets and is highly detailed.
you ought to be able to get reasonable performance out of that combo, bear in mind trainz mac isnt optimized to run as well as the PC versions, due to open gl issues , BUT, in my experience it seems to have fewer issues re things going wrong with the trainz database and overall PC complexities. , are you going to run 2019 or TANE ? I do have both but rarely use 2019 so cant really comment on how well it runs on the mac.

https://www.videocardbenchmark.net/gpu_list.php

Ideally you'd want a score of 10,000+ but at 7,000 the 580 GPU is respectable and probably slightly above the average. It very much depends on the content, for example Middleton for laptops will run on Intel's integrated graphics series 4000 or above which has a score of around 500.

Cheerio John

Feek, I'm just running" the loops" which is pretty detailed on my mac pro in 2019 ,full screen no stuttering at 50 mph , on a dual screen setup. i think you would do fine with your setup as long as you dont crank things up too high.

are you going to run 2019 or TANE ? I do have both but rarely use 2019 so cant really comment on how well it runs on the mac.
Thanks, I don't even know what TANE is! I only found Trainz 2019 yesterday.

Ideally you'd want a score of 10,000+ but at 7,000 the 580 GPU is respectable and probably slightly above the average.
Sounds good to me, thanks.

Feek, I'm just running" the loops" which is pretty detailed on my mac pro in 2019 ,full screen no stuttering at 50 mph , on a dual screen setup. i think you would do fine with your setup as long as you dont crank things up too high.
Thanks - But what version Mac Pro?

I think for twenty quid on the UK bundle which is Trainz Railroad Simulator 2019, Edinburgh - Dundee DLC and Cornish Mainline and Branches DLC, it's worth a punt.

I'm a Mac guy and depend on 4 of them for work. But, after some running of TRS-19 on my iMac (3.2 i5, 24gb memory, SSD drive, NVIDOA GeForce GT755M 1024 mb) I broke down and built a gaming PC. I needed Win10 anyway for some work tasks, I had been running Win10 on my Mac on a VM.

I can tell you that there is no comparison between the two. I can't stand to run '19 on my iMac now. As I said, I am a Mac guy (used Apple's before Macs) but the iMac cannot run games as can a gaming PC with appropriate gaming card and mother board.

I'm talking "out of box" iMac. For Mac Pro's with better graphic cards and such, well I can't speak to that. Some report good results but the right card is required.

I'm a Mac guy and depend on 4 of them for work. But, after some running of TRS-19 on my iMac (3.2 i5, 24gb memory, SSD drive, NVIDOA GeForce GT755M 1024 mb) I broke down and built a gaming PC. I needed Win10 anyway for some work tasks, I had been running Win10 on my Mac on a VM.

I can tell you that there is no comparison between the two. I can't stand to run '19 on my iMac now. As I said, I am a Mac guy (used Apple's before Macs) but the iMac cannot run games as can a gaming PC with appropriate gaming card and mother board.

I'm talking "out of box" iMac. For Mac Pro's with better graphic cards and such, well I can't speak to that. Some report good results but the right card is required.

I used to fix Apple IIs back in the day :)

Thanks for the reply but with respect, that's a seven year old graphics card isn't it? It was in the late 2013 iMac and I wouldn't expect that to work very well on any modern game. I do appreciate what you mean though.

I don't disagree that generally a Mac isn't as good as a dedicated Windows based gaming PC and I don't play a lot of games but those that I do play (ETS2, ATS and Eve) work perfectly well on my iMac with the details turned up high.

I'm hoping that I do have "the right card" and that it'll work well enough to be acceptable.

Apple II's... I had an Apple /// "business machine" - What a failure that was. I played Apple II games on it in "emulation mode" if I remember correctly. I remember having a Castle Wolfenstein game on that machine.

You are correct about the age of the iMac(s) I have. I buy reconditioned from the Apple store. Never had a brand new computer until I built the PC.

I'll be interested in your results. You may not be able to run large routes (lots of baseboards). My map would take forever to scroll on those. Philskene's routes and the like ran decent though with the settings all down.

Please let me know how things go.

I'm running TS19 on a 2014 27" iMac w/ Radeon M295X as well as on a 4-year old home built i5 PC with Nvidia GTX 1080. The iMac is "fine" at 1080p at medium settings, but it's a little stutter-prone and not especially impressive looking without the missing TurfX ground clutter. If that was the only platform I had it would be tolerable but not fabulous. The PC runs 1080p at high settings at looks beautiful.

Diego

I bought it and started playing, as I was going through the tutorials, it crashed to desktop so I tried again. The same thing happened but at a different point.
I rebooted the iMac and tried again - The same thing happened and after five attempts, I got fed up and asked for a refund. I had about half an hour play time so it was accepted and I was refunded in just a few minutes.

Shame.

Thanks, I don't even know what TANE is! I only found Trainz 2019 yesterday.

Sounds good to me, thanks.

Thanks - But what version Mac Pro?

I think for twenty quid on the UK bundle which is Trainz Railroad Simulator 2019, Edinburgh - Dundee DLC and Cornish Mainline and Branches DLC, it's worth a punt.
It's the 2010 hex core 3.3; the Xeons still do have quite a lot of grunt, but it's hardly a modern powerhouse . It runs 2019 better than my Acer nitro 5 laptop with a 6gb 1660ti , you have a lot more Ram than I do, I have 16gb, but usually it's the you that makes the most difference with trains . If you do some compariosns on everymac you should be able to compare it's geek bench scores vs your iMac. .

I bought it and started playing, as I was going through the tutorials, it crashed to desktop so I tried again. The same thing happened but at a different point.
I rebooted the iMac and tried again - The same thing happened and after five attempts, I got fed up and asked for a refund. I had about half an hour play time so it was accepted and I was refunded in just a few minutes.

Shame.
Hmm, what a shame , I've not had that happen, but then I'm running high Sierra, which works fine.

Back