assets rendered incompatible through updating.

well, I don't know what had occurred here, but now the asset has installed the track mesh library and ...... its showing no issues , so I'm flummoxed. however , the track is now showing TWO versions, one for 2019 , one for TANE , perhaps pencil has responded to my pm about the matter...

well, I don't know what had occurred here, but now the asset has installed the track mesh library and ...... its showing no issues , so I'm flummoxed. however , the track is now showing TWO versions, one for 2019 , one for TANE , perhaps pencil has responded to my pm about the matter...

Hi, remember me, I'm the original respondent in Post #2 below. Frankly it troubles me that you don't know what occurred. In your post #3 it looks like fundamental checks and backup recovery suggested were dismissed because of this perspective:

Yeah,thats all very well, but its a big hassle for anyone who doesn't use 2019 and just leads to more frustration and angst...

I've been too busy this week to reply earlier to post #3 and later, but I wanted to. Now please retag the username of the TANE-compliant one so it doesn't get overwritten like the previous version that was working before your re-installation of the Uintah route.

Also, if you want to publish a route, its a good idea not to include "composite assets" (i.e. track and structure) as you see one of the pitfalls here.

Last edited:
Hi, remember me, I'm the original respondent in Post #2 below. Frankly it troubles me that you don't know what occurred. In your post #3 it looks like fundamental checks and backup recovery suggested were dismissed because of this perspective:

I've been too busy this week to reply earlier to post #3 and later, but I wanted to. Now please retag the username of the TANE-compliant one so it doesn't get overwritten like the previous version that was working before your re-installation of the Uintah route.

Also, if you want to publish a route, its a good idea not to include "composite assets" (i.e. track and structure) as you see one of the pitfalls here.

Don't make high and mighty judgements about me mate, your bedside manner comes over as lacking , for your information I work on macs, Ive had a major issue with the one i use and its off for repair along with my drive and backups. I'm trying to restore some routes on my pc and thus used the DLS to download assets I usually have on my MAC hard drives . I downloaded the asset from the DLS made for me by Ben Dorsey, it did not exist on my PC, so I did not 'overwrite it ". Ben used the track made by another content creator for the asset, not me . The track showed as incompatible , only usable in 2019. I've since sent a PM to pencil and he may have rectified the situation as I am sure there were NOT two versions of this asset when I did a DLS search a few days ago.Also another person found the same issue with other assets made by him, so he may have uploaded items and overwritten them by mistake.

Today I tried it again with a different result, it appears that since I tried to download this asset a couple of days ago,the item that been updated to 2019 which had the kuid number 124060:38087:2 has now been restored to work in TANE ,whereas before it was incompatible ,BUT there is also now also 124060:38087:3 version 3 there, with a different description, which is designed for 2019.

I can't change the content of one of Ben Dorseys assets on the DLS or change pencil42s track back to work with TANE anymore than you can.What do you expect me to do if I find assets that used to work are now incompatible, wave my wand and conduct magic ?

Last edited:
Today I tried it again with a different result, it appears that since I tried to download this asset a couple of days ago,the item that been updated to 2019 which had the kuid number 124060:38087:2 has now been restored to work in TANE ,whereas before it was incompatible ,BUT there is also now also 124060:38087:3 version 3 there, with a different description, which is designed for 2019.

<KUID2:124060:38087:2> has been on the DLS since 13th June 2013. It is compatible with Trainz versions TS2009 and later. <KUID2:124060:38087:3> has been on the DLS since 24th January 2019 and is compatible with TRS19 and later. So nothing has changed in the last couple of days.

You could have saved yourself a great deal of concern over this issue by more carefully considering the situation before jumping to conclusions about the problem and the solution.

Hi Dan,

I can't change the content of one of Ben Dorseys assets on the DLS or change pencil42s track back to work with TANE anymore than you can.What do you expect me to do if I find assets that used to work are now incompatible, wave my wand and conduct magic ?

What I would expect to be done, since you've asked me specifically now what I expected, and not stemming from a judgement, is pretty much what I said in Post #2:

By and large, the DLS already does this (i.e. provides obsolete versions of assets). Often you can retrieve an older version on the DLS with "Download this Version" in the Content Manager after retrieving available versions from a "List Asset Versions" request.

Here we go, following the first line in the first reply of this thread, the solution was given 2 dozen posts ago. Download the ":2" version and delete the :3 version from your PC and viola, Ben Dorsey's asset is working again.

1.jpg

I confirm with SailorDan, that the ":3" version is a year old, inferring there was no intervention.

Sorry to be judgmental, but it is only a natural human response to a flailing at the correct and helpful answer your thread colleagues stated at least 3 times.

Last edited:
Back