How to group objects?

I did what you did in the screen shots. The doors were installed on the steel building. I clicked the object button, then the copy, then the paste. Then I re-did it clicking the copy button, then the object button, then paste. Still doesn't work. Maybe my computer is to weak...I'll keep trying.

It's not your computer. You obviously didn’t do what I did because the results are different. There is no "copy button" as such. Pay close attention to what the buttons are actually called when you mouse-over them, because I'm using those same terms very deliberately in the instructions below.

Follow these steps to make the thing work (for a group of scenery objects);

1) In the "Tools" fly-out tab, click on the "Paste Height", "Paste Textures" and "Paste Track" buttons until they are all inactive (have dark backgrounds).

2) Click on the "Paste Objects" button until it is active (has a light background). From here onwards, whatever you do will only affect objects, not terrain heights, textures or splines.

3) Click on the red "Select Area" button until it is active (has a light background).

4) With your mouse, Left-click on the ground and drag it to create a selection box around your group of objects. This action is what copies the objects. The selection box should ideally be as small as possible while still surrounding all the objects. To be more accurate, the selection box actually only needs to capture the "origin" points of all the objects. These points are usually (but not always) at the centres of objects. It's just simpler to make the box surround the objects.

5) Now click the green "Paste mode" button. With your mouse, move the selection box to the place where you want to paste to and Left-click. That will paste a copy of the objects group with the same orientation as the source group.

6) While in "Paste mode", if you want to paste further copies, move the selection box to other places and Left-click each time.

7) While still in "Paste mode", if you ever want to rotate a paste, move your mouse pointer back to the "Paste rotation" compass in the Tools fly-out, click on N, S, E or W to change the paste orientation, then position the now rotated selection box where you want and Left-click to paste.

That was for scenery objects only. I won't risk confusing you with instructions for other types of copy/paste (terrain height, textures, tracks) or how to make the paste additive instead of replacement. Hoping you can figure those out yourself.

While I'm here, when you "reply with quotes" to forum posts, please do not delete or overwrite the closing [/QUOTE] code. If you do, the quoted text won't be in its own box and that makes it difficult to distinguish the quote from your reply.

Last edited:
It's not your computer. You obviously didn’t do what I did because the results are different. There is no "copy button" as such. Pay close attention to what the buttons are actually called when you mouse-over them, because I'm using those same terms very deliberately in the instructions below.

Follow these steps to make the thing work (for a group of scenery objects);

1) In the "Tools" fly-out tab, click on the "Paste Height", "Paste Textures" and "Paste Track" buttons until they are all inactive (have dark backgrounds).

2) Click on the "Paste Objects" button until it is active (has a light background). From here onwards, whatever you do will only affect objects, not terrain heights, textures or splines.

3) Click on the red "Select Area" button until it is active (has a light background).

4) With your mouse, Left-click on the ground and drag it to create a selection box around your group of objects. This action is what copies the objects. The selection box should ideally be as small as possible while still surrounding all the objects. To be more accurate, the selection box actually only needs to capture the "origin" points of all the objects. These points are usually (but not always) at the centres of objects. It's just simpler to make the box surround the objects.

5) Now click the green "Paste mode" button. With your mouse, move the selection box to the place where you want to paste to and Left-click. That will paste a copy of the objects group with the same orientation as the source group.

6) While in "Paste mode", if you want to paste further copies, move the selection box to other places and Left-click each time.

7) While still in "Paste mode", if you ever want to rotate a paste, move your mouse pointer back to the "Paste rotation" compass in the Tools fly-out, click on N, S, E or W to change the paste orientation, then position the now rotated selection box where you want and Left-click to paste.

That was for scenery objects only. I won't risk confusing you with instructions for other types of copy/paste (terrain height, textures, tracks) or how to make the paste additive instead of replacement. Hoping you can figure those out yourself.

While I'm here, when you "reply with quotes" to forum posts, please do not delete or overwrite the closing
code. If you do, the quoted text won't be in its own box and that makes it difficult to distinguish the quote from your reply.

.[/QUOTE]

I get how it works. I did everything exactly as you did, and it copies perfectly. Copying is not the issue. It doesn't GROUP the objects! If I rotate the copied object the doors stay, the building rotates.

I get how it works. I did everything exactly as you did, and it copies perfectly. Copying is not the issue. It doesn't GROUP the objects! If I rotate the copied object the doors stay, the building rotates.

Clearly, you don’t get it.

As my earlier screenshots showed, it does rotate a group of selected objects as a group. Whatever it is that you’re doing, it still isn’t right. There is no fundamental difference between that building and those doors as far as Trainz is concerned. If it can create a copy of one, it can copy the others and copy a group of such objects. And if it can copy, it can rotate when it pastes. That is true for a single object and for a group of objects.

I don’t think I can make the process any clearer and I can’t figure out how you’re still managing to do it (and even the Reply With Quote) wrongly. I think it’s time I bowed out and let someone with better teaching skills step in to help you.

Last edited:
I think it’s time I bowed out and let someone else with better teaching skills step in to help.

That will require some KUID numbers to be spec'd by someone here, which is lacking in the entire thread. Looks like in post #14 there is an admission clones were made.

That will require some KUID numbers to be spec'd by someone here, which is lacking in the entire thread. Looks like in post #14 there is an admission clones were made.

Well maybe, but even if they are clones, they are apparently good enough to show up without fault on his map. So they should behave the same as any other Scenery objects. I rather suspect there is some mental disconnection between how AWRRBob thinks the copy/paste and copy/rotate/paste should work and how it actually works. Without being able to stand behind him and see what he's actually doing, I am having a real hard time even imagining how it can still be screwing up so badly. Obviously, I could never get a job on N3V's Helpdesk!
:'(

Last edited:
Maybe we haven't defined our terms. When I copy and paste, I can paste in any direction the compass allows and the object remains intact. When I use the Object fly-out and move or rotate the object the building rotates, the doors don't.

When I copy and paste, I can paste in any direction the compass allows and the object remains intact. When I use the Object fly-out and move or rotate the object the building rotates, the doors don't.​

When you say "the object remains intact", do you really mean "group of objects remains intact"? If so, then that's all I've been claiming for the "Tools" fly-out Copy/(Rotate)/Paste mechanism. Are you now saying that you have actually been able to do that all along? You certainly didn't give that impression before.

The "Objects" fly-out only ever acts on one asset at a time. You didn't make it clear that you were using this fly-out and expecting it to move/rotate multiple assets as a single group entity. It can't do that and nobody suggested it could. In fact, the instructions never mentioned the Objects fly-out at all. No wonder I could not understand what you were doing.

Last edited:
Well, in my very first post I mentioned I couldn't move the objects; you can rotate but can't move in the copy/paste fly-out, only in the object fly-out. Also, someone correctly stated in a second post that grouping objects can't be done. Thanks for your help, though.

Back