TRS19 not updating older content in routes in Surveyor

MSGSapper

Trainz route developer
Users recently reported problems with my very popular modern and 1950s parked car content items. In TRS19 they were disappearing at very short distances which cause very annoying pop up and disappearing action to occur. This behavior was not seen in T:ANE or earlier versions of Trainz.

After much effort I was forced to substantially revise the following items (shown with the new KUIDs) to resolve the issue.

<kuid2:439337:101223:4> SAP Parked Modern Cars 3
<kuid2:439337:101220:4> SAP Parked Modern Cars 1
<kuid2:439337:101222:5> SAP Parked Modern Cars 2
<kuid2:439337:101224:4> SAP Parked Modern Cars 4
<kuid2:439337:101229:3> SAP Parked 1950s Cars 1
<kuid2:439337:101237:3> SAP Parked 1950s Cars 4a
<kuid2:439337:101233:3> SAP Parked 1950s Cars 4
<kuid2:439337:101235:3> SAP Parked 1950s Cars 2a
<kuid2:439337:101228:4> SAP Parked Modern Cars 4a
<kuid2:439337:101236:3> SAP Parked 1950s Cars 3a
<kuid2:439337:101234:3> SAP Parked 1950s Cars 1a
<kuid2:439337:101231:3> SAP Parked 1950s Cars 2
<kuid2:439337:101232:3> SAP Parked 1950s Cars 3
<kuid2:439337:101227:4> SAP Parked Modern Cars 3a
<kuid2:439337:101226:4> SAP Parked Modern Cars 2a
<kuid2:439337:101225:4> SAP Parked Modern Cars 1a

While this did indeed resolve the issue for any new use of the items, it has led to another issue for any route already using the older versions of the same content items.

Here is a screen shot of the problem:

TRS19-not-updating-content-issue.jpg

Notice that all existing older versions of the parked cars show just the invisible red track of the older versions, <kuid:39134:100314> Invisible Wire Red bnsf50 and nothing else, and have not been updated in Surveyor to shown the new versions which no longer have that invisible red track. This only happens for existing parked cars. Any new ones, as shown by one of the Parked cars I added for this screenshot, are not effected by this problem. The screenshot was taken in Surveyor for my <kuid2:439337:102147:4> Progressive Rail Jesse James Line - TRS19 route which uses the SAP parked modern cars. BTW that invisible red wire track is a built-in item in TRS19 and cannot be deleted.

Whats more I found that creating a new version of the route did not update the KUIDs of the existing parked cars in the config.txt even after editing and saving in Surveyor of that new route version.

Rebuilding the Trainz database also did not help.

I even tried to manually edit the route config.txt file to update the number but nothing changed when viewed in Surveyor.

I am at a total loss on how to deal with this issue in Trainz and fix the problem. At this point the only thing I can see to do would be to make yet another version of the same content items, but this time as separate items, and do a bulk replacement in Surveyor. I don't want to have to do that unless absolutely required.

I always took it for granted that when a new version of the route was created that older content KUIDs were updated to newer KUIDs but based on my tests this morning that does not appear to be happening in TRS19.

How can you force TRS19 to update older content in Surveyor?

Bob

Last edited:
Can confirm the issue. Have the updated items downloaded and installed. Tried to "move" the "missing" item which will have the wire frame cube on the red line invivible track if "show missing assets" is ticked on in Surveyor settings. CTD if I tried to move it. Can reproduce CTD everytime. New items do not replace older versions.
Rick

Its not a bug it's because the new versions are a different kind type, Originally kind buildable, now kind scenery so you can't do a straight replace and changing kind won't work. I got rid of the visible invisible track by pasting a blank area over them.

Alternatively just tried on one of my other installs in TANE, first attempt caused a lock up requiring Task Manager to get out of surveyor.

This however worked.
Delete the new ones in manage content (Needed to stop the CTD or lockup), disable the invisible track <kuid:39134:100314> Invisible Wire Red bnsf50, as it's a builtin in manage content, if it's not being used anywhere else in the route then remove missing assets, took about 5 minutes to do anything but it got rid of them. Then re-install the new ones and manually replace. Pretty sure you can't bulk replace buildable anyway.

Thinking about it the obvious and somewhat tedious solution would be delete the old ones from routes before downloading the replacements, then manually replacing, can't see that going down well either if people have used a lot of them.

Clearly I did not understand what your Unfortunately, the change in type means they have to be replaced in the route comment meant within the context of the route mechanics. Since this was a new version of an existing item I thought the normal replacement/upgrade process would kick in. If I had known how big a pain this would be I probably would have just left it alone, annoying as the disappearing/appearing problem was.

What started out to be a big pain in the butt just keeps getting more and more of a pain the butt to resolve. And they all worked just fine in T:ANE and below, or at least I never saw issues with them in my T:ANE or TRS12 route versions.

Added footnote:

What my attempts to help everyone by eliminating the disappearing/appearing problem is now going to mean for me in extra work that will stop all present new content development efforts for some time:

1. I will have to do everything Clam1952 stated above.
2. I will then have to go back through five already upgraded TRS19 route and hand place each and everyone of the parked car items as if I were doing it from scratch.

That's it. I have had enough. From now on if any of my older content no longer works in TRS19 it is going to stay broke and I will not fix it so it works in TRS19, if it previously worked in T:ANE. Don't complain to me about. Complain to N3V instead. Now I am stuck with having to fix this mess created by TRS19......

Bob

Last edited:
Its not a bug it's because the new versions are a different kind type, Originally kind buildable, now kind scenery so you can't do a straight replace and changing kind won't work. I got rid of the visible invisible track by pasting a blank area over them.

Alternatively just tried on one of my other installs in TANE, first attempt caused a lock up requiring Task Manager to get out of surveyor.

This however worked.
Delete the new ones in manage content (Needed to stop the CTD or lockup), disable the invisible track <kuid:39134:100314> Invisible Wire Red bnsf50, as it's a builtin in manage content, if it's not being used anywhere else in the route then remove missing assets, took about 5 minutes to do anything but it got rid of them. Then re-install the new ones and manually replace. Pretty sure you can't bulk replace buildable anyway.

Thinking about it the obvious and somewhat tedious solution would be delete the old ones from routes before downloading the replacements, then manually replacing, can't see that going down well either if people have used a lot of them.

Malc:

Thanks for the information on this. Now I wish I had just left the damn things alone, even if the appearing and disappearing was annoying. See my further comments on this in post #5 above.

Bob

After a lot of experimentation I was able to resolve the issue and fix all reported issues while still fixing the original appearing/disappearing problem.

Basically I had to go back to kind buildable and re-insert the original attached-track container code. Strangely enough this worked although how I am handling the car meshes is very different then from the original code.

Code:
username                                "SAP Parked Modern Cars 4a"
author                                  "MSGSapper"
description                             "A 8.1 meter long row of three assorted high quality parked vehicles done as a static scenery item. Height adjustable. My thanks to those who developed all the cars which are dependencies of this item!"
category-region                         "AU;US"
category-era                            "1980s;1990s;2000s;2010s"
trainz-build                            3.7
height-range                            -20,20
category-class                          "BH"
mesh-detail-level-count                 0

thumbnails
{
  {
    image                               "preview.jpg"
    width                               240
    height                              180
  }
}

attached-track
{
  out_track0
  {
    track                               <kuid:39134:100314>
    useadjoiningtracktype               1

vertices
    {
      0                                 "a.track0a"
      1                                 "a.track0b"
    }
  }
}

mesh-table
{
  track-lod0
  {
    mesh                                "car_spline.im"
    auto-create                         1
    lod-level                           0

effects
    {
      arrow0
      {
        kind                            "attachment"
        att                             "a.track0a"
        surveyor-only                   1
        default-mesh                    <kuid:-3:10092>
      }

arrow1
      {
        kind                            "attachment"
        att                             "a.track0b"
        surveyor-only                   1
        default-mesh                    <kuid:-3:10092>
      }
    }
  }

car0-lod0
  {
    att                                 "a.effect0"
    mesh-asset                          <kuid2:68787:1068:2>
    mesh                                "us_car04.im"
  }

car1-lod0
  {
    att                                 "a.effect1"
    mesh                                "us_car05.im"
  }

car2-lod0
  {
    att                                 "a.effect2"
    mesh                                "us_car73.im"
  }
}
kind                                    "buildable"

kuid-table
{
  0                                     <kuid:-3:10092>
  1                                     <kuid2:68787:1068:2>
  2                                     <kuid:39134:100314>
}
kuid                                    <kuid2:439337:101228:5>

I have uploaded new versions of all my parked cars to the DLS with these fixes. They should be available for download in about 36 hours.

Bob

Back