Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New computer and problem with Trainz

Default New computer and problem with Trainz

I have sold the house to finance a new computer to run Trainz. The specs below.

Version: Trainz 2019 release assertions - 101618
    The reason I am lodging this thread is that since I have installed trainz on this computer, Trainz is running very stuttery/jerkily.

The specs of this computer far outway the old beast, but, the old beast ran much smoother than this one.
    I have run tests with '3dmark' that show the graphic card (nvidia 1080) runs very smoothly during the tests.

Can anyone help me with suggestions on how I might tame this new computer.
    I am not overly computer savvy with respect to hardware - so please talk in simple language.

Operating System
    Windows 10 Home 64-bit
    CPU
    Kaby Lake 14nm Technology
    RAM
    32.0GB
    Motherboard
    ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. ROG STRIX Z390-F GAMING (LGA1151)
    Graphics
    LG FULL HD (1920x1080@60Hz)
    Intel UHD Graphics 630 (ASUStek Computer Inc)
    4095MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 (MSI)
    SLI Disabled
    Storage
    238GB Samsung SSD 840 PRO Series (SATA (SSD))
    232GB Samsung SSD 840 EVO 250GB (SATA (SSD))
    2794GB Seagate ST3000VX009-2AY10G (SATA )
    931GB Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 1TB (Unknown (SSD))
    Optical Drives
    HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH24NSD1
    Audio
    Intel Display Audio

Thanks in anticipation

Russell
    Last edited by rmdk22; August 13th, 2019 at 11:21 PM.

Check the slider settings are not maxed. I was looking at a beta layout recently and I was getting 30 fps with 2000 meters viewing distance on a RTX 2070 but someone with an RTX 2080 was getting 15 fps, their viewing distance was set to max.

Cheerio John

Thanks John.

I have reduced all setting to basic with no improvement at all.

Are these video drivers? Are they compatible, or do I delete the Intel one.

Intel UHD Graphics 630 (ASUStek Computer Inc)

4095MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 (MSI)

Maybe a problem separate from the video driver???

Russell

rmdk22 - You should be using the latest drivers for your nVidia GTX 1080 - and NOT for the integrated GPU on your Intel microprocessor.
    Make sure that your LED/ LCD laptop monitor and TRS19 are both being driven by your new 1080 GPU and not the built-in one on your CPU.
    Go to the settings panel to ensure that it runs the nVidia drivers for your 3D programs and games.
    Here's the link to download the latest nVidia graphics drivers: https://www.geforce.com/drivers

Congratulations on your new Asus ROG Strix rig!

Make sure the monitor cable is plugged into the GTX1080 GPU,
    NOT the monitor connection on the motherboard back panel.

Thanks fellas for your attempts to help.

Still having problems.

Could it be a windows problem?

Russell

Blog Entries

There are some routes that are more taxing than others. Generally I use the Kickstarter County route whenever I want to test frame rates. Any route that has lots of trees tends to bring a PC to it's knees.

Don't think it would be an O/S issue unless you have some CPU/GPU/Memory hungry applications running at the same time. Bring up Task Manager and see how busy it is.

You could set Vertical Sync to None in the Launcher. Others have mentioned the game slider settings but shadows is the one I'd turn down first. You could start all at the lowest settings and progressively advance values. That's a bit tedious.

You don't say where Trainz is installed but I'd guess your 3TB HDD or 1TB SSD. I prefer to have my Trainz user data on the same drive as the installation (executable files) rather than cluttering up my C: drive.

You should be able to disable that onboard video but don't if you are not sure about that.

Paul

Windows 10 Task Manager now has a GPU Performance monitor included in its diagnostic toolkit.
    Suggest open that up during gameplay, (Ctrl + ALT + DEL and choose Task Manager) or use TRS19's built-in Trainz Profiler (Developer Menu, TRS19 Launcher) to see GDDR5 memory use, FPS and GPU utilisation.
    Alternatively, and better still, use the monitoring software that came with your GTX 1080 card/ Asus computer to monitor your display adapter's performance and GPU temps, etc. (If it is an Asus card, then download and use GPU TweakII and/or GPU-Z).
    Moving TRS19 to your Samsung 970 EVO NVMe SSD will also perceptibly improve Trainz' overall responsiveness (and particularly database operations/ repairs, etc.) and performance.

There's something amiss since the OP's specs indicate a GTX1080 with 4095 MB of VRAM (1080s are 8 GB cards). If not a simple typo it looks like some weirdness between the integrated graphics and the GTX 1080 is going on. The best way to check is to find the Integrated Graphics option in the BIOS and make sure it is set to Auto or Off.

LG FULL HD (1920x1080@60Hz)

You may want to decrease that in Trainz Settings if you are running it that high.

Also, what cabling is used to connect the PC to the monitor? Please tell us of any adapters on the cabling.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Vostrail View Post
    There's something amiss since the OP's specs indicate a GTX1080 with 4095 MB of VRAM (1080s are 8 GB cards). If not a simple typo it looks like some weirdness between the integrated graphics and the GTX 1080 is going on. The best way to check is to find the Integrated Graphics option in the BIOS and make sure it is set to Auto or Off.
    I wondered about that. There are a couple of MSI 1050s that have 4GB.

My old computer motherboard had a video chip you could disable and, now you mention it, I think it was in the BIOS. I don't recall it interfering with the GTX780Ti I was using at the time but I turned it off anyway. That video card ran TANE and TRS19 happily provided you turned down the settings.

Paul

Asus boards are usually pretty good at detecting the main GPU in use without the need to adjust settings, at a guess it's got the wrong GPU? Perhaps check / verify what it is in Device Manager or use GPUz.

Note: utilities such as Speccy and GPUz are known for reporting incorrect memory sizes on the newer cards if not kept up to date.
    Malc

Kingston Upon Hull, Yorkshire, United Kingdom.

Could using a HDMI cable instead of a VGA cable solve this problem?

Any chance it could be a fake GPU? There seem to be plenty about.

Chris.

Stuttering can also be caused in game. TRS19 seems to stutter when a script is not behaving right. I have the ski slope gondola station on my route, it is not used to animated the gondola station because when you do the game stutters badly. Other items I have found is when a train is looking for the next command and can not find it in the route. This freezes the train while a search is carried out to find it. It would seem that while trainz is trying to sort out these problems it starts to stutter as well as processing a lot of information.