Please don't download latest update of "Tractor Farmall 01"

At the risk of throwing more flammable material onto this flame thread (but I am genuinely puzzled) what is the problem with having foreign (i.e. other than English) language tags in the config.txt file?
The issue is that content on the DLS is being altered without the permission of the original creator, and without even advising them. The language tags were never compulsory and should not be considered an error. N3V should not be altering this content.

V5 seems to be back to normal v2 and v3 which were builtins in TS12 do have the non English language in the config so hardly a new change as been like it since 2015, at a guess changed for ECML guessing v4 was a bad upload by N3V where something got corrupted, I've had similar uploading to the DLS.

None of my stuff, a lot of buildings used in the Cornwall Route, has had any additional languages added. Go figure ;o)

At the risk of throwing more flammable material onto this flame thread (but I am genuinely puzzled) what is the problem with having foreign (i.e. other than English) language tags in the config.txt file? I just checked and according to several different and reputable sources on the web, English is only the 3rd most commonly spoken language in the world. It is beaten by Chinese and Spanish.

You could make a case for insisting that all assets use Chinese and Spanish as their primary languages and add tags containing English translations as a courtesy.

I'd like to hear your case for that. Are sales in those countries high enough to justify the cost of translating?

English may be the 3rd most commonly "spoken" language, but it is by far the #1 language in the business world, and N3V is a business trying to make a profit, as everyone keeps pointing out.

If assets automatically displayed their content information in Spanish and/or Chinese when used on computers set for those regions, it would go a long way to improving the usability and sales of Trainz in those markets. Adding language tags does not replace the English language in the assets config.txt file.

English may be the No. 1 business language but not everyone in the business world speaks English and not every customer who has purchased, or potentially will purchase, Trainz will speak English. With China already one of the worlds largest consumer markets, that marketing strategy makes sense. That would certainly improve the bottom line for N3V.

Despite any potential problems (perhaps "careless manual copy and paste" issues) with adding language specific tags to the config.txt files, I really do not understand why there is opposition to the idea. The complaint about N3V altering the config.txt files of uploaded assets without the permission of the creator is a non-issue - they are not altering the "look and feel" of the asset in any way and in any case the DLS terms and conditions allows it. The CRG has repaired some of my uploaded assets (mostly fixed config.txt issues) without asking me first (I would have said yes) and that does not bother me. I uploaded the assets for the benefit of others and if making changes to them makes them better then they have my full support.

If N3V wants to add language specific tags to my assets then they do not have to ask me first.

My opinions.

Last edited:
Looking at the 5 config files for this asset, the language specific tags were added to ver :3 when it was made part of the built-in content for a route included with a retail version of Trainz. I note in ver :4 several language containers were removed because they were the same as the English version. As noted by pware there's a valid reason for the local language tags and N3V's procedures for upload to the DLS and when content is included as built-in permit them to modify the configs.

Last time I was involved with making a route to be included with a Trainz release we had to certify that we had obtained written permission for all content we used from the original content creators regardless of what the config said - even for those items on the DLS. Maybe things have changed. But I think someone should have requested permission for Deane's content to be included with the built-in content - that's when local languages were added. IIRC Auran/N3V took care of modifying the configs for us as necessary - like adding in local language tags and containers - if time permitted. Things got really hectic towards the end.

When I clone an asset I usually strip out anything I don't want to see except for original author info. I'm sure lot of people do it. But this was a built-in asset at one time so the extra baggage gets carried along with it. Sorry Deane. Price of fame I guess.

Bob Pearson

PS. Deane, in case you didn't notice they still have the extra space at the end of the sound file name in ver :5. Do I hear a ver :6 rustling in the wings?

Last edited:
I agree with pware about the extra language tags. Don't see how it could detract from the value of an asset if more people could potentially enjoy it because they can read and understand the content in their own language. If more non-English speaking people get on board, it can only be better for Trainz.

If I download an asset with non english config, I use Google Translate.
It gives me a good enough idea of what is there. Rather than scrolling through pages of the same text.
Cheers,
Mike

The complaint about N3V altering the config.txt files of uploaded assets without the permission of the creator is a non-issue - they are not altering the "look and feel" of the asset in any way and in any case the DLS terms and conditions allows it.
No it doesn't.

The licence you grant to N3V is to distribute only:
Code:
With regard to all your New Works uploaded to the Download Station, you grant to N3V a personal, transferable but non-exclusive license to those New Works in order that N3V can redistribute the New Works to third parties: 
(a)    by making the New Works available for download from the Download Station for free or for payment; 
(b)    by including the New Works on a CDROM or DVDROM (or other storage medium) that is made publicly available for sale or that is given away; or 
(c)    both (a) and (b).

The repairs done by the CRG and others is covered under a different provision and onlky applies if the content is faulty:

Code:
We grant any MyTrainz account permission to download any item of faulty content, create a new KUID2 version using the original UserID and ContentID, repair it in situ, and re-upload it. 
You are not permitted to fundamentally change the content beyond what is necessary to make it compatible with the latest versions of Trainz.

The possibility of N3V altering the licence to allow these sorts of changes to be made, either in general or for specific changes, is apparently under consideration but no announcement has been made.

Last edited:
Bob Pearson

PS. Deane, in case you didn't notice, they still have the extra space at the end of the sound file name in ver :5. Do I hear a ver :6 rustling in the wings?

Bob,

I hadn't noticed the sound tag error still there, but you're right. Great quality control eh? And yes you do hear a version :6 on the way. I have just submitted it to the DLS.

It does away with the *!#*&!** language tags once again, but also has some minor technical improvements to justify its existence. The number of materials is reduced slightly, and I removed the fake shadow and the engine sound. I reasoned that it's a static scenery without a driver and probably should not have had sound anyway.

~ Deane

Back