Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Using an iPad Mini to read the Forum

Default Using an iPad Mini to read the Forum

I have been using an iPad Mini with Safari as the browser to read the Trainz forum for the last 3 years. Until recently it worked perfectly. In the last 2 weeks or so, the menu items New Posts, Trainz Store and Private Messages have become overlapped. I have no idea what suddenly caused this.

The problem only exists on this page; no other section of the Trainz forum and no other web site has this glitch. I tried deleting and re-creating the “bookmark” link to the forum page, but the menu overlap problem is still there

Luckily, that menu area acts as if it’s just New Posts, which is what I’m trying to access, but is there a way to make the forum page display properly again?

Last edited by Dinorius_Redundicus; July 3rd, 2019 at 04:00 AM. Reason: Browser being used is Safari, not MS Edge.
    T:ANE SP3 build 94829 and TRS2019 build 100240
    Win 10, i7 5820K, 3.3 GHz, 32GB ram, GTX 980Ti, 2x512GB SSD

Not sure if this will work as I don't have an iPad mini handy to experiment with, but have you looked at the Quick-styles options combo at the bottom left of the forum screen to switch between standard and mobile styles?

Quote Originally Posted by Dinorius_Redundicus View Post
    I have been using an iPad Mini with Edge as the browser to read the Trainz forum for the last 3 years. Until recently it worked perfectly. In the last 2 weeks or so, the menu items New Posts, Trainz Store and Private Messages have become overlapped. I have no idea what suddenly caused this.

The problem only exists on this page; no other section of the Trainz forum and no other web site has this glitch. I tried deleting and re-creating the “bookmark” link to the forum page, but the menu overlap problem is still there

Luckily, that menu area acts as if it’s just New Posts, which is what I’m trying to access, but is there a way to make the forum page display properly again?

I have the same issue on my ipad where text overlaps the" new posts" portion of the menu ,it started doing it a few days ago. That's the only portion of the menu that is obscured,certain websites seem to also have text that freezes on the screen from the last visited page on the site , text from the newer page is displayed underneath and of course its impossible to read it.
    . I find my ipad has issues on facebook too, duplicating words, unable to edit occasionally, who knows whats going on.....
    Last edited by dangavel; June 3rd, 2019 at 08:35 PM.
    WARNING! The Surgeon General has determined that the use of the simulator Trainz is highly addictive,

I also started seeing this a couple of days ago. I have a 12.9 inch iPad Pro so the smaller screen of other iPads is not the problem. Switching between Standard and Mobile doesn't make any difference.

Cayden
    Last edited by Cayden; June 3rd, 2019 at 10:39 PM.

... here too .. ipad2 ... with chrome ...
    grtz
    daveric

So I'm not the only one to see this. Are there any clues in the observations reported so far?

Blog Entries

Same on my iPad. I'm currently using it since I'm up in Far North Queensland for a week. Whenever I've used my iPad for the forums it's always been somewhat misaligned and I assumed the pages are designed for normal layouts - whatever they are.

Paul

Same issue here with iPad Pro

It is not just on iPads. I have a Samsung Tab A 10.1 and have been experiencing the same problem for the last week or so.
    SEMPER ABSENTIUM.
    The past must exist for the present to create the future.

Yep, Lenovo P2 here (Android, Chrome App) - Same Issue
    - The BackShop -
    Route/DEM Department

So, is it just some bad HTML code recently introduced to the trainz forum page? Looks OK on PC’s but not quality-checked on other platforms?

Blog Entries

Don't know if it's faulty code but I would expect that area to wrap and maybe look a big ugly but functional. I can't select Trainz Store so I'd expect N3V might have an interest in that.

Paul

Suggest use your browser's "View Page Source" (or equivalent) command to see what might be causing this display error.
    In Chrome, FireFox and Edge browsers, hitting the F12 function key (on PCs) will also display the code in console or developer view.

Quote Originally Posted by PC_Ace View Post
    Suggest use your browser's "View Page Source" (or equivalent) command to see what might be causing this display error.
    In Chrome, FireFox and Edge browsers, hitting the F12 function key (on PCs) will also display the code in console or developer view.
    If it really is a fault in the web page coding, I see that as a job for N3V or whoever created the page, to analyse and fix.

The problem is with the way your iPad mini's interpret the old vBulletin HTML DOC format which is not HTML 5 compliant.
    Was there a recent iOS or browser update on that platform?
    vBulletin's CSS and coding is some form of HTML 4 hybrid and includes quite a bit of sloppy code.