"Locked" Object?

jfike

I was playing with "Add Random Scenery" and came upon an object from the download station that will add to the scene, but cannot be deleted, moved, rotated, or edit properties (and probably other things.)
It is: <kuid:328583:100223> JVC-BB Trees Aspen (I) 1

I checked if the layer was locked and even found just adding a single instance of that object also had the same problem. Other objects work fine. Is this just a faulty object or is there something I could try to fix it?

Close your route and run a database repair then see if this works.

Go to the Launcher
Click on Developer
Click on Rebuild database.

This will take a few minutes.

Note any faulty assets...

Go into Content Manager
Change the filter (list) to faulty

and ensure nothing is faulty.

It's not necessary to do the Note faulty assets part, but it's good practice to do that anyway.

Hi John. That didn't work. However, when I tried to rotate a single instance, I saw the message "Object is attached to a fixed position object." I guess that's the problem. I didn't see any dependencies (or faults) and tested on a new blank scene.

I'll take a look at the asset. Give me a few minutes...

I've seen that message before, but it was because I was trying to rotate an object that wasn't the one I was grabbing - the scene was really, really cluttered, but any way give me a bit to check this out.

Thank you for including the Kuid and name! :D

Okay.... It's the asset and not your installation. The tree is a billboard, aka a piece of Mylar with an Aspen tree printed on it. No matter which way you look at it, it faces the camera. It's really weird when you down at it because it bends upward to face you and lays down flat on the ground!

These are probably fine for far distance objects to fill up a scene but I wouldn't use them regularly due to being billboards, which are not generated by your GPU and are instead 100% processed by the CPU, and that can put a drag on performance.

Thanks. Now I remember when doing the add random scenery, I couldn't see the objects they were added when looking straight down, but tilting the camera, they showed up.

Most of the JVC tree look pretty good (Speedtree?) so I expected these would too.

Back