Interlocking Towers

coop2

What is the best way to have any train that enters a signal block to setup the signals down the path of the train. After the paths are set in surveyor, what is the best way to setup the commands. I have set the path commands for AI only and I have used a Trigger to set the same path for each train. Things run for a few minutes and then everything gets STUCK! I am using the Searchlight signals at a crossing of a figure eight. I have set up the path so the conflicting train will get a RED Signal which will turn back to GREEN but then one of the signal stays forever RED! What is the prime different between Configure Path and Set Path?

It all depends on what you are trying to do, single or double track? Control the train at the crossover? Only one train can be on the path, the path should only cover the area of the crossover. What is the trigger doing?

When a train hits the triggers it sets the signals for the crossing. I notice that only one train can be on any path at any time. I'm going to try and delete the path after the train has passed through the crossing to see what will happen. I was under the impression that if the interlocking towers were set up for AI then any train reaching the first signal of a path, the rest of the signals would be correct for the train but that didn't work. Trains got stuck. If two different trains reach different paths a the same time only one will work. I had four trains travelling around a figure eight with many blocks to keep the trains separated. To really understand what is going on I guess I will have to experiment.

Hi Coop2.

Just a question : are you using standard N3V interlocking tower (Interlocking Tower - Crowcombe Heathfield signal box <kuid2:401543:3220:1>) or Enhanced Interlocking Tower ( Enhanced TRC3 Invisible interlocking Tower (SP2 and later) <kuid2:61392:8101:52> or other similar EITs ) ?

If you are not using Enhanced Interlocking Tower, may I suggest you try one of them : EITs includes two enhancements that will probably be interesting for your 8 oval loop with crossing test route.

- first one is called Exclusive Set Name : exclusive set names are strings you choose that you can add to any path ; when several distinct paths references the same exclusive set name string, they are considered as exclusive and cannot be activated simultanously. To protect two tracks crossing each other, just create a path for each track with an entry signal before the crossing and an exit signal just after the crossing and add the same exclusive set name for all paths going through the crossing. All these paths will be exclusive and only one at a time can be activated protecting trains while they passes the crossing.

- the second one is not an option but a difference between EITs and standard ITs, when two trains are following each other, only the first incoming train at an entry signal will be allowed to activate a path ; any requests from following trains will be delayed until the first incoming train path is released. This avoids some problems you may encounter with standard ITs where if several trains following each other requests their path at the same entry signal not in the right order, the system can be in trouble with activating the right path for the next incoming train …

Second point : you do not need any trigger to activate your paths : by default paths are created with automatic path assignment enabled, which means that when an incoming train approaches the entry signal at about 0.5 mile, the system will try to auto assign and activate a path at the entry signal. And for crossing protection paths where you have only one path available at the entry signal the auto path assigment should activate the path with no problems.

In order to help, I have made a small test route and session with an 8 oval loop with an EIT to protect the crossing. There are four trains on the loop and you will see that the EIT gives control successively to each train when it approaches one of the entry signal. You can dowload this demo example following this link to my OneDrive shared space : https://1drv.ms/u/s!Ao4KHd0vFBWkqK0F2WC_-eV0DKtsWQ . the cdp includes both the route and session, and the last version of EIT code (v60) currently in beta test that should be uploaded soon probably next week and some update for Autodrive driver command for TRS2019. It normaly uses only builtin assets or assets available for download on the DLS. If I have included by error any missing dependency, just PM me so that I send you the missing assets. Take your time to understand how the paths are configured and activates and are released in driver mode. And feel free to ask if there is anything you do not understand. The demo includes the interlocking enhanced manager, that has a run time monitor to show when in driver the current path states and which train owns or requests the paths (to launch the run time monitor in driver mode, select the second icon from the left - the same one you use to pause the game - then select in the menu run time monitors and then tower manager. You can then select a tower to monitor its paths or trains to monitor trains.

Hope this may help.

Regards.
Pierre.

Last edited:
Thanks for the download. I added a few cars to the trains(some 10 cars, some 5) to see if I could lock up the program. Everything worked fine even when the trains got stacked up on the other side of the crossing. The signal at the crossing didn't turn green until the train on the other side was cleared of the signal. The other train coming in on the other track waited for its turn. In fact I'm running the program as I write this reply. I also printed out our reply. It seems that I have some studying to do! Thanks again for your help!

pguy

Progress! I changed out your EIT with my own still using your figure 8. I changed the trains to the 'BRHST 125' added a few more signals and increased the speed limit to 65 so things would move along a little faster. All seems to be working OK. Just to make sure that I understand what is going on I'am going to have track loop with part of the loop with four parallel tracks and have the loop single track pass through the four parallel tracks. If this works I would think I would understand what is happening.

Back