TRS19 - File Size

pitmilly

In the last 24 hours have loaded TRS19 Build 98592 - using TRS19 Installer - 98692.zip(UK) dl2.n3vgames plus "Online Installer".

This is now located on my PC in C:Users/User/AppData/Local/N3VGames/trs19.

trs19 folder contains 1. buildvty6j31m1
2. userdata-redirect-map.txt

The only problem I have - so far - is that file No 1. is showing 48,263 files in 6,731 folders and is taking up 80.4 GB of my 240 GB SSD C Drive, which is about twice that which I was anticipating. All the screeds I've read say - "allow 50 GB".

Further investigation of file No 1 and its sub-files reveals the following make-up:-

packages----------------------------47.8 GB------47,244files
cache--------------------------------32.4 GB
Libraries-----------------------------1.63 MB
asset cache--------------------------125 MB
assets tdx----------------------------98.6 MB
Keystore.tdx-------------------------632 KB

I'm thinking that a large chunk of data has somehow been duplicated but I haven't the remotest idea of "How", "What", or "When".

Can somebody please point the way out of this Maze?

Many thanks

John Webster
aka Pitmilly

My C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\N3V Games\trs19 folder is just 87 bytes in size and has just a single file, user-redirect-map.txt

My TRS19 install is in D:\Program Files\N3V Games\Trainz Railroad Simulator 2019, has 8,645 files and is 16.5GB in size.
My TRS19 user-data is in D:\TRS19\build lduib02e1, has 70,037 files and is 60.9GB in size.

My total GB is just a fraction short of yours. My system has a 128GB SSD boot drive C: and a 1TB HDD data drive D:

So I see nothing wrong with your installation details. I do not recall seeing any 50GB allowed space messages (does not mean that they do not exist).

Basic install from offline installer (12 GB, then about 15 GB for routes), no T:ANE DLCs imported, "userdata" in game folder (only downloaded five locomotives from wearsprada): 41.2 GB (5.325 folders, 29.557 files).

I'm thinking that a large chunk of data has somehow been duplicated but I haven't the remotest idea of "How", "What", or "When".

That isn't excessive for the Packages folder, but I think you are right that there is a lot of duplicated material in there. The "How" is probably the issues that occurred during Beta and Early Access with the package naming. What's needed is utility to clean it out.
An extended database repair will reduce your installation size by deleting unneeded items, but I don't think it examines the packages.

Thank you all for your input.

I intended to move File No 1 - (build vty6j31m1) across to a prepared folder in my 2 TB HDD "D" when I was satisfied that the download was OK, so taken overall, disc space is not an insurmountable problem. It's just become URGENT!

However, for the record - https://store.trainzportal.com/products/trainz-railroad-simulator2019, under PC Minimum Spec - Disc Space states: - 50 GB Free Space. A "Note" further down reads: Required Internet Connection - 12.5 GB initial download + 15 GB for five additional routes downloaded in game.

Perhaps somebody can explain how this translates to a file size of over 80 GB and, if this sales blurb is now out of date, isn't it time somebody did a bit of editing.Having

pitmilly - I have my entire installation of TRS19 on my C: Drive SSD. It takes up 75.3Gb made up of 15,528 folders and 80678 files.
This includes all of my Local User Data folder contents as a sub-directory of TRS2019 named C:\TRS2019\UserData.

This still leave a lot of free space on that drive (important because of the way SSDs tend to wear faster as they fill up).
I have another SSD drive D: to which I could potentially transfer the whole kit and caboodle as D:\TRS2019, thus freeing up 75.3Gb on C:
It would work there just as well. And I will probably move it there when my Userdata folder size grows too large.

Your situation is somewhat confusing because you've allowed the default installer to suggest confusing names for the essentials.
So to clarify what I'm saying here:
Give the program folder a distinctive name. (Example: C:\TRS2019)
Give the Userdata folder a distinctive name: (Example: C:\TRS2019\UserData

I recommend getting the Trainz folder OUT of the C:\Windows\Users directory entirely!
The only exceptions should be your Userdata-redirect-map.txt inside your N3V Games folder in C:\Windows\Users\<username>\AppData\local\N3V Games\userdata-redirect-map.txt
(In my case, that folder contains sub-folders for TANE and TRS19 for their respective userdata-redirect-map.txt path files).

Note that both TRS19 and T:ANE have default suggested backups set to 7 backups.
That, in my view, is excessive if you are meticulous at carrying out your own backups fastidiously as you go along. I've set mine to 2 accordingly.

For those wondering how the folders are typically structured in TRS19, I have provided some screenshots of the directory structure of the program on my C: drive SSD below:

This is the Main Program folder/ container named: C:\TRS2019.
The executable and main dynamic link libraries (dlls) for the program are in the root of this directory.

TRS19.jpg

And the majority of the Trainz program fundamental build folders are contained in the Resources folder:

resources.jpg

I have created a separate container called 'UserData' for all of my Local User Data folders and files.
Its path as a subdirectory of C:\TRS2019 is C:\TRS2019\UserData.
This is the one that will grow in size over time as you download DLS and DLC content and create your own assets, routes and sessions.
In my case it currently occupies 58.6Gb of folders and files. (72,033 files and 13,789 folders).
This entire folder could be moved to another drive if needed to free up space on the current drive, though I am more likely to move it all together as one unit when that time comes when C: drive gets too full.
(Unlikely, as I keep buying new, larger capacity and faster SSDs when that boot drive gets too tight for free space).

On my other, dedicated gaming computer, I have just a single 1Tb NVMe PCIe SSD for storage, so TRS19 could grow considerably before I'd need to move the installation elsewhere.

These are the main sub-folders contained within my UserData directory:

Userdata.jpg

Sorry about the lengthy post, but this is a matter which seems to confuse a lot of people, and my method of installing and storing TRS2019 may be of interest to others who are worrying about the naming conventions and storage locations for TRS program and UserData files.
Cheers! PC.

Last edited:
UnumProvident155 - Yep, some users will have 100s of Gigabytes of Userdata files, as some people like to download, install and keep many routes, sessions and assets from all over the Net.
Key concept is to house your UserData directory on a disk drive that is large enough to accommodate its current size and to allow for future growth.
That's why many people shift their entire installations away from their C: drive and onto other dedicated logical drives.

Last edited:
Back