Microsoft Deactivating Win10 Pro in error

When asked when this will be resolved, the Microsoft guy said,

[FONT=&quot]@Everyone we have no ETA but it should resolve within a day or two or much sooner. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Thanks.
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Sumit[/FONT]

Well that’s an ETA, isn’t it?

Well after surviving all day without problems my two Win 10 Pro PC's then decided to deactivate themselves. Reactivated OK on clicking Activate Windows, general consensus on 10 forums is that it's now fixed, not holding my breath though.... Some gullible people actually bought new Win 10 Pro licences on advice from the Windows help desk! What a mess. Microsoft are rapidly loosing credibility in my book.

Personally I never switch my computer off. At night I switch off the monitor and leave the comp. running, this allows updates and backups to be done while I am in bed. Sometimes in the morning the comp. has restarted, this happens if the updates require a restart, I then have to log on and check if the backups have completed before the restart but it has not failed yet. I firmly believe that running a hard disk continuously is better for it than stopping and starting. My C: is a SSD but my data disk is a mechanical HD which is about 8 years old and has not given any sign of failing.

Cheers,
Bill69

Last edited:
Personally I never switch my computer off. At night I switch off the monitor and leave the comp. running, this allows updates and backups to be done while I am in bed. Sometimes in the morning the comp. has restarted, this happens if the updates require a restart, I then have to log on and check if the backups have completed before the restart but it has not failed yet. I firmly believe that running a hard disk continuously is better for it than stopping and starting. My C: is a SSD but my data disk is a mechanical HD which is about 8 years old and has not given any sign of failing.

Cheers,
Bill69

I keep my machine on all the time as well only because I do overnight backups and other things when I'm not using the machine, but there's a dual edged thing here. When my old company split from Polaroid and had to move, they powered down some old HP UX workstations that had been running 24/7 for close to a decade. When they were setup at the new location, the hard drives had seized and wouldn't spin at all. The motors had basically dried out inside and the very act of powering them off caused stiction - aka static friction, which the drive motor could not overcome. The drives never had a chance to cool down in this environment and the lubricating oil on the platters dried out and turned to glue, causing the heads to stick to the surface. I did some drive forensics on a very large size drive as the systems were being scrapped. The drive was huge physically, but only 1.2 GB and very slow maybe 3400 RPM?

For the most part, I've gotten well close to a decade with my hard disks even with powering them off unless the systems were exposed to some adverse conditions. There are two things which seem to do hard disks in, outside of physically breaking them - heat and power irregularities. The heat puts the stress on the components, causing them to work harder, and the power sags and surges ruin the 12 V rail also causing component failures as these components work harder to overcome these conditions.

Speaking of a physically damaged disk. My manager had me look at his son's computer one day. The brat had complained that it wouldn't power up. I took a look at it alright. When I powered it up, the disk spun up and sounded like a trolley car pulling into Park Street station on the Green line!

Last edited:
Dunno about Win10 but MS Outlook hung this morning and, after allowing Win10 to recover, it promptly told me it couldn't open my mail file. At that point I realised I hadn't backed up for a while. :eek: Fortunately, it seemed to be only a locked file and a reboot fixed that.

I also got an e-mail waffling on about a new Insider Preview and I wonder if that release is related to your activation problem. I'm still on Win10 Pro build 1803.

Had the email about the latest insider however that's not related to the server issue, it affected all versions of 10 pro including Insider and not build specific. Server error not an OS one.

Staying away from Insiders until they sort out the October release properly.

Not switching off didn't stop it happening as the OS is scheduled to check activation every so often. So it deactivated from activated while on. Guess mine checks around midnight!

All OK this morning so far.

Had the email about the latest insider however that's not related to the server issue, it affected all versions of 10 pro including Insider and not build specific. Server error not an OS one.

Staying away from Insiders until they sort out the October release properly.

Not switching off didn't stop it happening as the OS is scheduled to check activation every so often. So it deactivated from activated while on. Guess mine checks around midnight!

All OK this morning so far.

I've been in the fast ring without any problems here including the activation issue. The latest build has been quite fast with no crashing. I was lucky and never experienced the outage unless it occurred overnight and I wasn't aware of it.

If we think about it, a hacker could easily compromise big swaths of a country by disabling cloud infrastructure and login servers. This is one of the faults that needs to be resolved not only by Microsoft, but by other cloud providers as well. Even end-users who do not use an SAAS provisioned OS have some application or service somewhere that is associated with a cloud source these days whether they like it or not.

Even end-users who do not use an SAAS provisioned OS have some application or service somewhere that is associated with a cloud source these days whether they like it or not.

Yes, my university works like that. The Intranet is entirely in the cloud.

:eek:

Back