To TRS19 developers

samplaire

Hi,

Is it possible to make those ugly green-red arrows to relatively smaller (or invisible when you are, say in driver no hud mode) when you are close to a lever? Nowadays, in the times of detailed graphics you would like to observe an animated lever indicator working but it is almost impossible due to the fact the arrows are on the whole screen (and the animation starts right after your sets the junction so there is no time to move your mouse somewhere else). Sometimes it is almost impossible to do a good close-up screenshot because you have to run your mouse pointer to an edge of the screen not to see the arrows. I know my screenshot is in the surveyor mode but it is the same in driver. And when working with procedural tracks having arrows is pointless (you see how a junction is set with the junction blades). There could be a tag to set the arrows on/off in the apropriate lever asset config.

Who agrees with me?

Last edited:
Have a look under the session rules in Surveyor for Set Helper Icon Size (if it's present in TRS19 - if not it's on the DLS).

Shane

THank you! I was not aware of the existence of such rule! It helped a lot but still the arrows are huge. I set it to the smallest value of 5 (the sentence there is confusing, I first understood it as the bigger number, the bigger reduction).

TBH these arrows are a throwback to the early days of Trainz 1.0 and UTC. With procedural track now becoming the norm (I know the OP's excellent "SAM" tracks haven't been upgraded yet) it is easy to see how the points lie. Certainly no need for the arrows to be so intrusive in Surveyor, you just need a discrete indication that the junction lever/motor has taken correctly.

Another thing to look forward to is that you should soon be able to switch junctions/ change the points from the new Track Profile HUD, just as you can using the venerable 'TrackView Rule' from klausm in earlier versions of Trainz.
This should allow most of us to remove the arrows from the junctions in Driver mode most of the time...

Last edited:
Mine look like this:
Screen_001_zps0606194c.jpg

Another thing to look forward to is that you should soon be able to switch junctions/ change the points from the new Track Profile HUD, just as you can using the venerable 'TrackView Rule' from klausm in earlier versions of Trainz.
This should allow most of us to remove the arrows from the junctions in Driver mode most of the time...

Yes Tony said this will be coming back at some point. I remember it worked in the earlier releases but was removed for some reason.

Did you notice the addition to the route profile?

We now have grades showing at the bottom of the profile.

Yeah just tried out that junction arrow resizing mod and it doesn't work if you save a session and come back to it later. They just default back to the normal size. I love those arrows shown above though. Why did they stop using them? They are a brilliant idea and a whole lot less bulky than the other ones.

Nobody else in the world has them, and it was done by hacking and cracking and modifying a JA, and N3V hates my idea as it would make the game too hard to operate for newcomer beginners

Last edited:
Really? Other games don't have them at all and people use them fine so how does making them like that make the game harder to play even for a newbie?

Previously, before we had procedural track and animated points, it was otherwise impossible to tell which way a switch was turned.
Now you can certainly see close up (just as in real life) the setting of the points, but more distant junctions still require some sort of indicator.
Once this is transferred to the Track Profile HUD, and junctions ahead can be switched from there, all will be more blissful and contented! ;)

Really? Other games don't have them at all and people use them fine so how does making them like that make the game harder to play even for a newbie?

Because 99% of driving in Trainz is still free roam unlike other sims where the AI sets the route ahead of your train without having to resort to custom scripts, rules or commands or understanding the intricacies of interlocking towers!

Previously, before we had procedural track and animated points, it was otherwise impossible to tell which way a switch was turned.

But when looking back at TS2009 and TRS2006,there was animated points to,such as andi06's JK sets which had a LOT of versions,and crossovers to... but there were a pokey setup,but they made up for that with having multiple skins for them,including some that matched up with the old HP Trainz tracks.

There was also three pieces built-in to TRS2006,and TS2009/2010,but they only matched up with one track,as shown in the screenshots below,and they did not have giant arrows above them,but tiny ones above the junction lever...

My-Trainz-Screenshot-Image.jpg

Hi,

Is it possible to make those ugly green-red arrows to relatively smaller (or invisible when you are, say in driver no hud mode) when you are close to a lever? Nowadays, in the times of detailed graphics you would like to observe an animated lever indicator working but it is almost impossible due to the fact the arrows are on the whole screen (and the animation starts right after your sets the junction so there is no time to move your mouse somewhere else). Sometimes it is almost impossible to do a good close-up screenshot because you have to run your mouse pointer to an edge of the screen not to see the arrows. I know my screenshot is in the surveyor mode but it is the same in driver. And when working with procedural tracks having arrows is pointless (you see how a junction is set with the junction blades). There could be a tag to set the arrows on/off in the apropriate lever asset config.

Who agrees with me?

I agree with you.

I also think the animated driver pictures in driver mode are hideous. They move their heads as though they have some major neurological disorder. Their eyes look demonic, like Jack Nicholson in "The Shining"

I never could understand why there was a junction red circle, and a red arrow ... when just a simple green arrow would do sufficiently ... this goes for the train direction arrow, why is there a red arrow, when just a simple green arrow would do sufficiently ?

I also think the animated driver pictures in driver mode are hideous. They move their heads as though they have some major neurological disorder. Their eyes look demonic, like Jack Nicholson in "The Shining"

I agree with that 110%. Some of the "Drivers" (Being very,very,very sarcastic with the "drivers" part.) look like they just came fresh out of the grave yard...:hehe:
But N3V just had to turn the good old drivers (Such as Willie the gimp,one of the only drivers that would fit altodave's ATSF and UP 0-6-0's,which philskene updated the UP 0-6-0.) into the demonic zombies that N3V thought would make "GREAT" drivers! (No,just no.).

So now there is no drivers that fit the UP and ATSF 0-6-0's in TRS2019 now...:( I just wish N3V would scrap those demonic zombie "Drivers" and put back the old ones... or even at least give people an option to go back to the old ones.

But for now,Rest In Peace,Willie the gimp...

(On a side note,since so many people are complaining and hate the zombie drivers that were born and raised by the devil himself,lets put them back in the grave yard,where they belong.:hehe:)

I believe the right kuid for it in content manager is <kuid:570470:100001> Junction Overlays. I bet with some modification they could be eliminated, not sure how it would be resized though.

I believe the right kuid for it in content manager is <kuid:570470:100001> Junction Overlays. I bet with some modification they could be eliminated, not sure how it would be resized though.

Rescale the images of the arrows to something smaller?

To eliminate them, make them invisible with 100% transparency. They're still there but only in placeholder fashion and not visible to the user.

Back