Revert?

Rik81

In Manage Content / My Content when I right click on an item their are three lines that begin with REVERT. Can someone clarify the meaning:1- Unsubmitted Edits, 2- if Unchanged, 3- To Original. (The items I were looking at, were all Open for Edit.

These appear in TANE CM as well.

1. Revert Unsubmitted Edits - if you have opened an asset for editing in CM, made changes (e.g. config.txt file, graphic files, etc) but have not yet submitted the changes then change your mind. This will cancel the edits and return the asset to its previous version.

2. Revert if Unchanged. Any selected asset(s) that have been opened in CM but no changes have been made, essentially this will close those assets without submitting so they return to their pervious state.

3. Revert to Original. Any selected asset(s) that you have changed and then submitted can be returned to their original unchanged state. With built in and base assets this, I believe, will return them to their original "as installed" state. With DLS assets I am not sure whether it will return them to their "as originally downloaded" state or just to what they were before the last edit was submitted (which may have been changed since the original download).

Revert Unsubmitted Edits
- This is used after you've opened an asset for editing, but prior to submitting the edits.
- The files are in a subfolder of your editing folder. If you want to peruse them, use "Open > Edit in Explorer".
- This will revert the edits, deleting the files from your editing folder. The installed version of the asset will be left unchanged.
- This will fail if you don't actually have an installed version (ie. the asset is newly created and has never been submitted).

Revert If Unchanged
- As above, but it will first check to see whether any of the files have changed.
- If there are modifications to any file, as compared to the installed version, the entire asset will NOT be reverted.
- If there are no modifications, the asset will be reverted as above.
- I believe this may also list any modifications.

Revert To Original
- You may have up to three copies of each asset:
- 1. The original, downloaded from the DLS, included in a DLC package, or built-in to the game.
- 2. A locally modified version.
- 3. An "open for edit" version.
- The above commands deleted #3, leaving you with #1 and/or #2.
- This command deletes both #2 and #3, leaving you with only #1.
- This command does nothing if you have no original version installed (eg. if the asset is locally created, or installed from some third-part source).

..and for good measure..

Delete
- This removes #3, #2, and (if possible) #1.
- Built-in content and DLC-packaged versions of content cannot be deleted.

hth,

chris

Revert Unsubmitted Edits
- This is used after you've opened an asset for editing, but prior to submitting the edits.
- The files are in a subfolder of your editing folder. If you want to peruse them, use "Open > Edit in Explorer".
- This will revert the edits, deleting the files from your editing folder. The installed version of the asset will be left unchanged.
- This will fail if you don't actually have an installed version (ie. the asset is newly created and has never been submitted).

Revert If Unchanged
- As above, but it will first check to see whether any of the files have changed.
- If there are modifications to any file, as compared to the installed version, the entire asset will NOT be reverted.
- If there are no modifications, the asset will be reverted as above.
- I believe this may also list any modifications.

Revert To Original
- You may have up to three copies of each asset:
- 1. The original, downloaded from the DLS, included in a DLC package, or built-in to the game.
- 2. A locally modified version.
- 3. An "open for edit" version.
- The above commands deleted #3, leaving you with #1 and/or #2.
- This command deletes both #2 and #3, leaving you with only #1.
- This command does nothing if you have no original version installed (eg. if the asset is locally created, or installed from some third-part source).

..and for good measure..

Delete
- This removes #3, #2, and (if possible) #1.
- Built-in content and DLC-packaged versions of content cannot be deleted.

hth,

chris

Very informative, Chris -- ;)

Kind regards
Ish

Yes, Chris and others thank you. It does raise a question in (what passes for) my mind. I making a session in a cloned version of KSC2. Every time I exit (and save) that session, it becomes an "asset" in the sense we are talking about here. The question is why, when I just go to MC and look up My Content it shows that asset, as well as the route asset as "Open for Edit."? I, on purpose, didn't open them. Seems like TRS19 is not exiting properly? or am I not understanding something? Also, when starting up TRS19, choosing VIEW SESSIONS for my CLONE ROUTE, and then want to EDIT SESSION your always given a REVERT choice. I don't recall that in TANE. If I choose at that point to make it "revert" what am I doing? Sorry to be so dense. This would not of happened if I hadn't left build 96000 for 96191 and starting to get a CTD, not LOL.

Yes, Chris and others thank you. It does raise a question in (what passes for) my mind. I making a session in a cloned version of KSC2. Every time I exit (and save) that session, it becomes an "asset" in the sense we are talking about here. The question is why, when I just go to MC and look up My Content it shows that asset, as well as the route asset as "Open for Edit."? I, on purpose, didn't open them. Seems like TRS19 is not exiting properly? or am I not understanding something?

It's completely normal behaviour for Surveyor to create such an asset while you're editing. When you exit from Surveyor, one of two things should happen:

1. You save your changes, in which case the editing changes are submitted (removing the editing folder).
2. You abandon your changes, in which case the asset is reverted (if you're working on an existing asset) or deleted entirely (if you're working on a temporary asset).

If you crash out of the game prior to exiting Surveyor, you can also get:

3. Things remain exactly as they were while you were editing; ie. the asset is present and is open-for-edit.

It sounds like you're hitting case #3 here. If you're actually crashing out, then that's a reasonable outcome (but hopefully you would know about it). Obviously the crash itself is not desirable, but the fact that your edits are not automatically deleted is deliberate. If, however, you're not crashing, then this shouldn't be occurring - if you can reliably repro this behaviour without crashing then you should definitely report it as a bug.

Also, when starting up TRS19, choosing VIEW SESSIONS for my CLONE ROUTE, and then want to EDIT SESSION your always given a REVERT choice. I don't recall that in TANE. If I choose at that point to make it "revert" what am I doing? Sorry to be so dense. This would not of happened if I hadn't left build 96000 for 96191 and starting to get a CTD, not LOL.

Later versions of T:ANE will also do this in the same scenario. Basically it's telling you that you have unsaved changes (again, this typically results from a prior crash while editing) and asking you whether you want to attempt to resume to the prior state, or whether you're happy to throw away those changes permanently and go back to the saved copy.

chris

Ah ha. That may explain some issues. I did bug report a CTD. I, and the QA team or bashing it back and forth. LOL. I was hoping to get back to how my session, which was being created in a clone route of KSC2 in 96000 was working, to be able to continue it here in 96191.

Back