Best Freeware Trees

davesnow

Crabby Old Geezer
What are the best non-billboard freeware trees to use on a route? I'm talking about Speedtrees that will sway in the wind most naturally. Wish Pofig's trees were on the DLS.

I viewed a route with swaying speedtwees' ... and the whole idear' just totally creeped me out ... radically swaying twees, as if a hurricane was brewing soon, and unrealistic trunks, and point thorn-llike bwanch's ...

I found thousands of real trees (with cryptic names) on the DLS by very talented European creators (their names escape me at the moment)

The Trees in TANE do not sway at hurricane force, the most prolific creator is rmm, IMO his are as good as pofigs, there are about a dozen TANE pofig trees, he was starting to make them, then packed it in due to the illegal cloning by certain of his fellow countrymen.

Other speedtrees (build 3.9 or higher) were created by
roystrainz -- names start with roys_
olegkhim -- names start with st_
mcguirel -- names start with M: TANE or M: (URST)
gawpo50 --

Peter

Last edited:
Plus don't sell Malc's trees short. They are excellent and work quite nicely both close to the line and in the distance where over use of Speedtrees likely to bring performance down.

Otherwise the rmm ones are about the best of the freeware speeds, far better than the godawful built in versions, but do need to be used sparingly.

Plus don't sell Malc's trees short. They are excellent and work quite nicely both close to the line and in the distance where over use of Speedtrees likely to bring performance down.

Otherwise the rmm ones are about the best of the freeware speeds, far better than the godawful built in versions, but do need to be used sparingly.
I agree, Clam1952's trees are great i have used them extensively and have many thousands of them , my aging 2gb gtx 680 can cope with them fine. also when i did use a swaying speedtree by another asset maker it slowed down the route to a crawl.

rmm's are very good with a wide selection, his later (higher number) speed trees are excellent. However, his trees are not seasonal so, if that is important to you, you may decide to only use his evergreens.

roystrainz' payware are very good also and are seasonal. Again, his later trees sets are better than his earlier offerings.

mcguirel's freeware is also very good although not seasonal for the most part. Her payware is excellent if you were fortunately enough to acquire it. She spent a great deal of effort minimizing the billboard pop for the distant LOD transition as well as lowering triangle count.

profig's have a remarkably low triangle count but are not seasonal

Auran and gawpo50's are lovely at near distance and are seasonal, however they both have an unfortunate pop at the billboard transition and don't look all that good at that distance and beyond.

jankvis' payware/freeware trees are uneven, some are amazing, some are just weird. They have a rather high triangle count for the most part but are seasonal and have an excellent billboard transition.

olegkhim's are nice but non-seasonal, very good billboard transition.

I have some 1900 speedtree assets installed (many faulty) and it is fun finding exactly the right mix for a given route. You can spend some time looking at these in Preview Asset and get some idea of how good the LOD transitions are, how many triangles they have, and how good the seasonal aspects are.

It is my understanding that there is a wind setting somewhere in trainz but I have not looked into it.

Back