Glasgow Tramway (closed 1962) - time for dusting my kuid off

rjhowie

An awful long time ago I started to build just a bit of that great tramway system here in my home city. It was my first rather rough attempt at building on Trainz. It did get finished and off and on with needed breaks it took a goodly couple of years to do. For those who have long memories this was years ago - think I started it in TRS06. One Trainzer did get a copy as he phoned and asked if he could drive from the nearby town of Clydebank with a portable HD! More lately and with no connection two other members have asked about it as I have been concentrating on my NI Railways and cross border extensions. So I mentally dusted the kuid and decided it was time to see if the more obvious flaws could be attended to. At the same time I have to discipline myself because as it is spread all over Glasgow and outlying places (was the largest real one outside London) I could spend forever sorting out quirks.

Looking back I have even wondered how the dickens I ever managed to do the whole dashed thing and every single route is in the project and I have also included the route beyond Elderslie Depot past Paisley and the bit out to Johnstone and Kilbarchan which was shut just before WW2. To add to things I also rather impishly extended a western route that had been planned in 1948 but not built! Haven't recently counted all the depots the system has but it is just over the double figures although I made the trackage to suit Trainz. Must also feel a bit guilty as silversmith built all the excellent trams - standard - Kilmarnock Bogie - single decker - excellent Coronation (with flashing indicators) - later Cunarder version. One Trainzer in particular has been good enough to press me on the Glasgow effort and was right to give me a wee push!

So folk before I get back to the Irish project I am sorting out some of the more in the face tram probs and the rest will remain then will see to the stage of getting this in the not too distant future up for people. If you haven;t seen it then visit my website listed below and there are also slideshows for each area west-city-north-southeast-south-southwest. Can I also say that I walked over every former line route you will see on the web site maps and that was important as in one area a street had been bult over with houses and outlying had to trace where a terminus was with old pictures. I suspect it may be the largest tramway built to a once real system and the website will let you decide.

Bobby
www.glasgowtramsim.moonfruit.com

I remember every once in a while heading over to see the progress on this massive layout. Gave up on ever being able to drive over the tracks. I am gladdened by your desire to finally release this awesome project. Could I count myself in as one of the first lucky ones? Regards.

Well NormP and boilvar.

Firstly bolivar you are right to make me feel guilty! Can I say to you and to Norm that once I have sorted out some very obvious things i am going to give up on scenery items as the damn thing is so big that i have ensured the discipline! All going well sometime in june once the things that are irritating me are done this thing must get to be available considering all the effort and attempting such a big thing in my first trainz attempt which would have been so easy to give up on. At present putting some traffic on many of the south of the River Clyde lines then do the other massive are north of the river. So when completed the next stage after that I am leaving it at that then get it up, One massive error I mad on Gt Western Road having misjudged the geographical layout will have to stay as it is and as said a sign is above it mentioning the mistake.

Norm, I will not forget your request and can i say to you (and bolivar once he gets over the frustration!) that you and others will find that exploring the thing as you note from the map will take you literally hours and maybe a day or so.

Expect a preluding message in June Norm. :)

Bobby

ps and my long-standing thanks to silversmith for his excellent Glasgow trams (and a young lad Michael whitely did something too but silversmith the main one)

Sorry did not mean to make u feel guilty. Thanks for your decision to complete this project. Regards.

Last edited:
Don't you be concerned bolivar I was only being light-hearted and as I will once I get some more traffic in (although might not be everywhere_ the long item stuck on a spare HD will get out all going well in June. Hope those interested in trams will have a squint at the site and get an idea of the size and background. Good to hear from you too and your support so hope others will appreciate the resurrection of this long ago made item!

Anyone else a tram liker especially as this one is based on what had been a big real one?

Bobby

Gee Bobby.
I have been holding my breath since last April when I finally uploaded my Brisbane City Tramway !

Can I breath again soon ?

NormP.

OOPS Only just noticed your last post date, Back on May 26 2016.

Last edited:
Back