MicroDEM and Google Earth Pro Question

PRR1361

Hey all,

I've been playing around with Microdem 10 build 2009.5.27.1 and Google Earth Pro 7.1.5.1557. I figured out happily by accident that I can import into Google Earth Pro DEM maps. I know that I can draw lines on Google Earth; tracing railroad, road, and streams. How can I take that line, save it, and import it into Microdem? The area I am working on doesn't have Tiger files. Thank-you.

That's cool.

I know it exports .kml files. which are paths. Can these be imported into MicroDEM? The alternative is if you can convert the .kml paths to a .shp which is importable directly, I think. as a layer.

Other than that, I'm at a loss. :)

John

That's cool.

I once downloaded a railroad transportation layer and imported it as the route into TransDEM. It laid down the track in the right place but I had issues with the route going well beyond the area I wanted to use.

I can see the potential for something like this, but I prefer to work with abandoned lines, and these do not have the associated routes available.

John

Finally have gotten somewhere. Once the KML files are converted to shapefiles, I had to change the color on the shapefiles to the color black, followed the directions on "wewain Trainz[SUP]®[/SUP] Fan Site" for the Tiger Data, and it worked. Just wanted to post this for anyone else who might be interested in this information.

Back