Locking Route and Session

gothmanghost

Is there anyway to lock or link both a route and a session together so that any and all changes in either are saved in both?

The "Golden Rule" when editing is "always edit the session, not the route" (I know there will be people who will disagree). This has applied since Trainz 2006 when sessions first appeared.

Even if you want to do something simple, such as add a tree to a route layer, then after you select the route always click "View Sessions" (in TANE - I have forgotten what it is called in TS12, it may be the same), select a session (any session if you have more than one) then Edit that session. Then add the tree in the route layer.

Any change you make to a route layer in that open session will appear in all sessions based on that route. Any change you make you a session layer will only affect the currently open session.

All of the above is true. Now, try to add instead of a tree, a spline. If you add the spline in a route, it is (some times, and I don't know why) messed in the session. If you add the spline in the session, it will not show in the route. So, as a trial and error, I add the spline in the route but don't connect to anything. If it shows in the session and is not scrambled, do the connection to other track or whatever you had to do. Then it will show in the route. Confusing? You bet. Why I do this? Because I always like to have a base route with everything the sessions should have. You accidently erase a session, and the route is there as a back up. But! In this case, all the commands and rules may have to be re-done in the new session.

llebrez, I have never experienced the problem you describe. I can only speculate that at least one part of the spline was laid down in a different layer, an easy enough mistake to make (having done it myself with normal objects - its a real pain to have to move every tree in a forest from a session layer to the route layer because you forgot to switch layers at one point). A technique I (sometimes) use is to lock all the layers that I am not working on.

But: I only have a route with a session. I don't have several sessions or layers, and if I would, I only modify the basic route. Once I got the hand of how to work with this problem, is only a matter of a little more work.

iiebrez, I think you have misunderstood. Open the Layers tab and you will see that each route contains a group of route layers (initially there is only one but you can add new route layers to the group) and a separate group of session layers (again, initially there is only one but you can add new session layers to the group).

I was making the point that if a spline is initially laid down in a route layer and then later, after you had opened the Layers tab and switched to a session layer for some reason, you continued to add to the spline while the session layer was the active layer, then the problem you described may be the result. This is something that I, and others, have accidentally done many times. If N3V added a label, say at the top of the screen when you are in Surveyor, telling you the name of the currently active layer, then this problem would be less likely to occur. Hence my suggestion of locking all layers that you are not working in.

Pware: You have to read carefully my post. I will try to clarify more here:

1) You create a new route. Add all the assets and consists. Everything works as you want. Now you make a session out of it, and everything you made in the route, is there working perfectly.
2) Now you have the route and one session. Just one, no extra layers.
3) If you add an object (tree or house) in the route, it shows in the session. If you add a trackside object in the route, it shows in the session. So far so good. But if I add a spline in the route, chances are that it will not show in the session or may be twisted going to infinitum.
4) If I don't see the spline, it is there somewhere far away and also going far away!
5) If I add the spline in the session, it remains where I put it, but of course it does not show in the route. But, if I add an object (house or tree) in the session, it shows in the route!, whereas if I add a trackside object in the session, it does not show in the route.

Of course, I could build the route at the session layer, but doing that, the basic route does not get updated on splines nor trackside objects, only on trees and houses.

I tried to do all that in T:ane and is the same as in TR12. Someone time ago suggested that this happens because my route was started long ago in TR04. But I did the experiment on a new route as test in T:ane, and I get the same problem. As I said before, very confusing.

Pware: You have to read carefully my post. I will try to clarify more here:

1) You create a new route. Add all the assets and consists. Everything works as you want. Now you make a session out of it, and everything you made in the route, is there working perfectly.
2) Now you have the route and one session. Just one, no extra layers.
3) If you add an object (tree or house) in the route, it shows in the session. If you add a trackside object in the route, it shows in the session. So far so good. But if I add a spline in the route, chances are that it will not show in the session or may be twisted going to infinitum.
4) If I don't see the spline, it is there somewhere far away and also going far away!
5) If I add the spline in the session, it remains where I put it, but of course it does not show in the route. But, if I add an object (house or tree) in the session, it shows in the route!, whereas if I add a trackside object in the session, it does not show in the route.

Of course, I could build the route at the session layer, but doing that, the basic route does not get updated on splines nor trackside objects, only on trees and houses.

I tried to do all that in T:ane and is the same as in TR12. Someone time ago suggested that this happens because my route was started long ago in TR04. But I did the experiment on a new route as test in T:ane, and I get the same problem. As I said before, very confusing.

I had exactly the same problem. Even trains would disappear in to the ether. Now when I work on a route, I lock the session layer, and only work in the route layer. Once my route scenery etc is done, I then lock the route layer, and unlock my session layer to add trains and commands for the session.

Not had any problems since (touch wood)

Steve

There are to many sessions listed in trainz now and all are different. Start trainz and you get routes, updates etc and saved sessions. These saved sessions are from driver mode and these can not be edited, they only take you back to the point you left the driver mode. Open routes and select a route and click on the two arrows to the right of the route name. You get a list of sessions attached to that route, select one and then edit session. All the work you do will be saved on exit to both the route and session. If you select edit route the above session is not loaded but a new session will be created. At any time you save as, trainz will created a new kuid for the route and session, this will make the old session not available to this new saved route. Anything you put on session layers will be saved into the edit session list only and not the edit route list. So gothmanghost select route click arrow and select session then edit session. If you don't edit via session then any changes you make on the route may cause problems when you later open that session. This is because the session is trying to match its information to the route as it was when the session was last saved.

Last edited:
There are to many sessions listed in trainz now and all are different. Start trainz and you get routes, updates etc and saved sessions. These saved sessions are from driver mode and these can not be edited, they only take you back to the point you left the driver mode.

Correct, you have never been able to edit saved driver sessions. Some people have complained about this "limitation" but consider the problems that would be caused if you, for example, deleted the track section that just happened to be occupied by a train in a saved driver session - what would happen if you then resume that saved session in driver?

Back