Gondola Containers

jkinzel

The North Bank Route
Years ago, 45 or more, I remember seeing a container like these either in a ship yard or scrap yard, but never gave it much thought. What were these containers used for and were they used more in certain regions of the country? Thank you for any information.
Regards,
2016-02-18%20211553_zpskqjp34lt.jpg

There were other containers with open tops for scrap or basically anything you could put in a gondola/hopper, but these would carry anything that could go in a covered hopper. Wouldn't surprise me though if they also sometimes had loads that didn't need covered, but got put in these anyway. The point was to be able to handle LCL shipments of bulk materials easily.

It would appear additional sides have been added to increase the gondolas capacity for relatively light (low density) materials without exceeding the cars load capacity.

Ben

Thanks all. I figured "anything and everything" that might fit, but just thought I would inquire.

Regards,

I've been to metal recycling companies that use large bins that look very similar like these.

Some are filled with swarf (little metal scrap bits left after machining operations). Other bins are for smaller pieces of metal, each bin for a different type of metal scrap.

They you saw them near shipyards or scrap yards would make sense. A shipyard would have plenty of swarf from all the metal cutting they do. A scrap yard would need them for the small stuff.

These are the bins a local scrapper uses. Similar, no? http://www.paciron.com/tubs.html

Todd

Back