Trainz-build numbers below 3.7 are no longer supported....

5. If I were a content creator I would never put my creations on the DLS. N3V has shown a total lack of resepect or consideration for the dwindling number of remaining freeware content creators without whom N3V will soon be out of business.

Hello

Maybe you exaggerate a little, a minority, a couple of them, don't support build 61388, which mean DRM (Steam) connection.

Last edited:
Actually, I think you will see less and less content going to the dls and more and more going to 3rd party sites.

I know that will be the case for me and those with me at TEH. We plan on still making content that will play in version 2.9, but building it to the TS12 SP1 standard. It will get uploaded to the site and not the DLS.

Last edited:
If at all... I know of several well known content creators who plan to outright leave Trainz, compounding the already growing problem as it is. Take a look around the forums and you will see that many past content creators have moved on recently. Hmm... What a coincidence...

Here we go again, I've lost count of how many times people have supposedly given up or left every time the Trainz evolution advances, most are still here, very strange ;o)

People say that every time, yet I don't see a wide variety of posts from very many creators out there like I used to. Very strange... Competition is funny that way.

Last edited:
I think if you sat down and counted up the number of content creators, you would be shocked as to how many are left as compared to, say, 5 years ago...

Also, it seems Trainz might not be the only game in town anymore if another Railroad Simulator makes it to production and release.... we will have to wait and see on that one.

I wonder how many will jump ship then?

I think you are being influenced by a noisy minority rather than the silent majority. TS12 SP1 HF4 works just fine for me. I have a clean install (no DLC) for testing my assets and a "play" install with DLC. I went through the difficulties of updating both. Yes, it was problematic.

It's just a pain having to have two installs, one with DLC in that is the pre service pack one that I can use for S&C and one without the latest SP4 version which at least doesn't make everything disappear when the DRM server hiccups and I lose stovepipes engine specs for the wagons.

Cheerio John

I think if you sat down and counted up the number of content creators, you would be shocked as to how many are left as compared to, say, 5 years ago...

Also, it seems Trainz might not be the only game in town anymore if another Railroad Simulator makes it to production and release.... we will have to wait and see on that one.

I wonder how many will jump ship then?

A good proportion will though will have left Left for reasons of ill health, financial issues, In advanced education, work commitments, lost interest, got married! not just because they all got upset.

Most of the UK creators use elsewhere to communicate, we have quite a thriving sub community ;o)

As for that new Sim? Competion is nothing other than healthy good luck to them and of course you can use more than one simulator ;o)

jacksonbarno

Thank you for explanation. I'm surprised that build number have not effect on quality of assets

Last edited:
Here we go again, I've lost count of how many times people have supposedly given up or left every time the Trainz evolution advances, most are still here, very strange ;o)

I must agree here with our fellow Trainz Clam!

--And may I add!

Guys, with all due respect, being a part of that pool of contents creators, if you understand what we are saying, it's simple --- It's not about the contents, it's about the sudden change of dropping two builds, and jumping to 3.7! --- I am NOT going to leave, and I made that choice, but I will consider deeply opening my bank book next time!

Also, I feel that content belongs at the DLS, because it provides three things:

First, items will never be corrupted since the DLS checks it thoroughly!

Second, the layout masters can find everything they need in one location.

Third, train drivers downloading routes to drive will download everything of that route from one click!

King regard, guys!

Ish

it's about the sudden change of dropping two builds, and jumping to 3.7!
Just for the record (as I am not sure you mean that):
The jump to 3.5 was to be expected since September 2014 as that was when they dropped support for TS2009 and TS2010.
The jump past 3.5 to 3.7 is what was sudden / unexpected.

Everyone surprised about the stop in support (if you agree or not) for 3.4 and earlier probably has not been on the forum for the last few years (or choose not to believe it) as the Life-Cycle Policy has been mentioned over and over again.

I am surprised they did not stick to 3.6 as this is the last version those many member with specific language versions of TS12 can use. Many have no patch for SP1.
See for all (language) builds here.

Last edited:
Just for the record (as I am not sure you mean that):
The jump to 3.5 was to be expected since September 2014 as that was when they dropped support for TS2009 and TS2010.
The jump past 3.5 to 3.7 is what was sudden / unexpected.

Everyone surprised about the stop in support (if you agree or not) for 3.4 and earlier probably has not been on the forum for the last few years (or choose not to believe it) as the Life-Cycle Policy has been mentioned over and over again.

I am surprised they did not stick to 3.6 as this is the last version those many member with specific language versions of TS12 can use. Many have no patch for SP1.
See for all (language) builds here.

Hello,

Up until last week I've uploaded under 2.9 ... Jumping to 3.7 is huge leap for me, but again, and I keep saying this .... it is NOT about this jump that got me going crazy here, it's the lack of communication from N3V -- Change always comes, but can N3V at least igve us a heads-up so we can talk about it, and of course prepare for it smoothly!

No harm ... no foil!

Kind regards!

Ish

it's the lack of communication from N3V
We agree.

I am also a bit disappointed they made the change on Friday. I kinda hoped they had learned from the previous time they did that.
If you make a big change, you damn well should be ready to react to the first wave of response to it (and possible mistakes you made in the process).

Other simulators keep getting mentioned, so I felt it prudent to mention a few things....

Railworks actually has been far more effective at alienating content creators (Actually the most successful of all of them) because of their "Whats yours is ours" ToS agreement. To even load it in the game in the format it needs to be it can legally be called "Theirs". Further, you think N3V has been bad for playing Bait & Switch? You should see what RW did to alot of its freeware.... Railworks near as I can tell (Speculation here), is going for an Arcade Gaming Style standard in an effort to appeal to the gaming crowd.... Good luck to them, I don't think many Gamers are gonna get much enjoyment while listening to DubStep and Sinking Dew quicker then the Titanic while rolling along a fixed set of Tracks with no action then watching a few set of numbers move....

Run8 Makes all of their own exclusive payware. Awesome Operational sim, but having the option for content that most other sim's are bringing to the table (Though Railworks is quickly approaching a similar state), is well otw to costing about the same as a small N Scale Layout of no great quality.

MSTS/Open-Rails..... The Golden boy of Freeware content.... Except that being an Open Source project its "Improvements" Never end, and to the best of my knowledge they still haven't gotten Open Rails out of what they call their "Beta" stage some 3+ years on. What they can do with it is incredible. But I'm not a code programmer and have little interest in helping find or fix programming bugs and submitting tickets. Further, they still have the Least Operational Functionality of every other "realism" based simulator out to date (I say Realism to keep the comparison to the kiddie Apps out of this).

The JR Sim.... I wish them luck. I'm a Big Fan of JR. Maybe they can break the mold of the current Rail Simulator Genre, and if so, I might buy a copy for the right price (They do seem to be pretty good at finding that most of the time). That said, planning to rage quit one game for another that hasn't had a single piece of pre-release information put out about it seems a silly move to me if your goal is to play (or create for) a Rail Simulator...... But whatever.

I will also mention, as others have, that personal speculation on numbers of actual users of Trainz in any format (How many people use this copy, how many people are creating for that version), are highly inaccurate. Want to prove me wrong on that count? By all means, do so, please start by posting Screens of either Sales Data or DLS Upload Logs (Though I would even take an Excel of accurate data collection, though this would have to be reinforced with something like confirmable IP address' or N3V confirmation) .... But oh wait, N3V is the only one that has any of that.... Maybe we should take their word on monitoring their own products, I'm sure they have a vested interest in doing so..... Whatever other problems or mistakes they might have or have done.

I don't like discussing the other simulators here, but again, since they keep cropping up and it keeps going unaddressed, I figured I would make a stab at it. Some of my information may be out of date, and its certainly broad, but its the result of living through experiences with all of them (Except for the JR one of course since to date I don't believe any non-JR Creator or direct friends/family there of has seen anything about it)

Finally, this is posted in a means to move some conversation to a more meaningful discourse, and not just in defense of Trainz or any other single entity.... I think we've all seen enough threats and Hard Feelings repeated to understand that there are some very unhappy people for the same very specific Reasons.....

-Falcus

We agree.

I am also a bit disappointed they made the change on Friday. I kinda hoped they had learned from the previous time they did that.
If you make a big change, you damn well should be ready to react to the first wave of response to it (and possible mistakes you made in the process).

And, I've responded to this, making these changes on a Friday, because they always do the same thing, and it's make sense from their point of view .... throw the community in total chaos, and then go home ... 3 days later we're tired, beat-up, and exhausted.... and they come back with happy faces!

Yep, they've done it before!

And, I think N3V missing this point too, as I read Tony's post this morning ... it's not about stopping the software from moving forward, just simply look at our pledges, sir, its' the lack to communication, as if taken us for granted! --- At least, that's my view!

------ in many ways, this thread has helped me NOT to leave trainz, because I can come and exhale frustration!! ------- One would think, why bother, but I've been here since 2001 ... not easy to just shut the door!!!

A HUGE APPLAUSE goes to Pev Tools that helped fix hundred of items that were error free before 3.7! --- things are returning to normal!

Kind Regards!!
Ish

Hi everybody.
Me, too. I think some people get a kick out of writing a "book" in these forums. I very rarely read more than a few paragraphs.

Apologies for referring back a few pages in this thread, but the above posting caught my eye as I was travelling down from Stoke earlier this afternoon. There was a thread on the forum only a couple of weeks ago in which the subject matter was asking why there are so many arguments and flame wars on the forum.

Many posters in that thread agreed that a great number of arguments are started when contributors to threads did not explain the point(s) they were making “thoroughly”. The foregoing, it was advised by many often had the effect of creating misunderstandings which were often taken as personal offence and thereby creating the flamings and arguments we so often see.

Undoubtedly I am seen by some forum members such as the person in the above example posting as a “book writer” and therefore someone he considers as an “inconvenience” who should be admonished for explaining my points thoroughly in my postings. However, on these forums I always have done and will always into the future ensure (to the best of my abilities) that no one can misunderstand what I am stating however many words that may take.

In the past I spent many hours learning to be a proficient typist and have average speed of around 50-60 words per minute. That said, I do not enjoy typing but have to engage in it as it is a large part of my everyday work. I much prefer to use voice recognition software when in the right environment. There is one particular application which in its latest upgrade has become almost 100% accurate in its speech to text translation. I would heartily recommend that software to forum members so that misinterpretation of what is being stated could be very much reduced.

As already stated in this thread by my fellow “book writers” John Citroen and rsignal no one has to read anything we post and thereby they do not have to become unsettled by it. I always refrain from criticising forum members who continually seem to contribute “one line postings” to a thread that are often open to misinterpretation and therefore leave them equally open to personal attack. A little more effort on their part I feel (perhaps aided by the above software) would very much reduce the arguments and flaming that so often erupts on this forum.

In regards to my own “book writing” I feel there cannot be too many forum members who object to it, as the last thread I instigated as the opening poster had almost 1000 viewings in its first few days.

Another page to add to the book (LOL)
Bill

A good proportion will though will have left Left for reasons of ill health, financial issues, In advanced education, work commitments, lost interest, got married! not just because they all got upset.

Most of the UK creators use elsewhere to communicate, we have quite a thriving sub community ;o)

As for that new Sim? Competion is nothing other than healthy good luck to them and of course you can use more than one simulator ;o)

While I will agree many have left due to a myriad of reasons, there have been those who have left out of frustration and being upset over what has transpired in the past and continues to transpire... to Me those are unnecessary losses for no good reason at all.

The bottom line is this:

TANE has to deliver on what was promised from it.... Lofty goals and ooohs and ahhs aren't going to cut it this time. There are many who are fed up... Telling them to like it before it has come out is ridiculous.

As Ish6 has pointed out... its been a lack of communication that has been the point as of late...but it has been a continuing problem that is finally coming to a head.

It's just a pain having to have two installs, one with DLC in that is the pre service pack one that I can use for S&C and one without the latest SP4 version which at least doesn't make everything disappear when the DRM server hiccups and I lose stovepipes engine specs for the wagons.

Cheerio John

I haven't had much time for Trainz lately, so haven't realised how things have been developing. I will update these assets now, it shouldn't take long.

Yet again we have come to "The sky is falling" phase of this discussion. We have had these changes before and lived. I am sure we will again. First, Tony has stated that there will be an announcement in the next day or two on this situation. Second, even if they decide to stay the course, it is not the end of the world. I simply do not understand why some that don't even have the software in question are complaining about the changes. In all honesty would them giving advance warning done any good? I don't think so, it would have just started this thread earlier. If change didn't happen we would still be using Steam Locomotives on Railroads and having to employ 10x the number of people to support them. I didn't use to be so much pro DLC but, with so many websites dying off and products lost forever, I hope folks get over the temper tantrum they are having over this and realize it is to improve the quality of assets for Trainz.

If anyone's having a temper tantrum, it's folks who are happy to force unwanted, unexpected, counterproductive changes on the rest of us and expect us to be fine with it, especially in violation of the Lifecycle Policy (support agreement). As for people "leaving" Trainz, the problem isn't so much content creators leaving entirely, but more and more, the ones who stay seem to be moving their stuff to third-party sites, where it's vulnerable to disappearance. Generally, the better-quality stuff, at that. For many of us, keeping our content to ourselves is looking more and more like a viable option too.

Back