Narrow gauge screenshots

Thankyou for all the kind comments. The screenshot is from a freelance route based on an old fishlipsatwork HoG DEM Durango - Silverton. I have built it as a standard gauge line with a couple of 36" gauge feeder lines, as seen above. There are several screenshots of the route in the 'Steamshots USA' thread, anything with a freelance loco skin 'Central Divide' is from the route. Will it get released? it's the most likely of my current projects to eventually see release, but no promises...

Andy

Last edited:
Andy --

Thanks. I'll certainly look forward to that route. It looks outstanding.

A question about gauges.

All my earlier layouts were 30". And I used the built-in N3V 30" track.

Then I discovered that most of the more important narrow gauge lines in North America were 36". So I modified the N3V track to 36" and uploaded this track to the Download Station. I also did a 3'6" version of the track, and this is also on the DLS.

My latest layout, the Jenn Erik is 36". And I've just uploaded a session using that very same SP locomotive.

So the question -- is SP #1 36" or 3'6" gauge?

Phil

Last edited:
Phil, SP #1 was a 36 inch gauge locomotive. Southern Pacific bought the Carson and Colorado Railway, which was 3 foot gauge. Eventually most of the railway was abandoned except for a small portion in the Owens Valley that made it into the 1950's

Hi Will --

Thanks. So that also explains both the C&S and SP narrow gauge rolling stock now on the DLS and other sites. I didn't realise that, in essence, they were the same freight cars that had been rebranded.

I'm relieved that Chuck & Joe are cleared to use #1 on the "Jenn Erik" without the workshop crew forcing the wheels six inches closer together:

Jenn%20Erik%2005a.jpg

Phil

Last edited:
Beautiful screenshot Phil!!!

Apologies for a 'seniors moment' in my last post, 36'" being the dimension I intended to type. It's probably related to being able to recite epic poetry I memorised in high school, while not having the foggiest recollection of why I just came into the kitchen....

There are so many NG Routes I have not heard of?

Now I'll save this one to my other searches and read up on it,,,,,,When you mentioned Owens Valley, It struck a Memory Cord in my mind! :eek:

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=owens+valley+california

I know where that it is, never had a Clue this ran thru that area, be it I usually drive thru on one of Local Freeways...... Which? Just so happens we do lots of Family Camping in the Summers in Sierra Nevada Range, beautiful area, except those Forest have succumbed a lot too the Current Extreme Drought and Forest Fires in the last 10 yrs..........:'(

Despite the rain and snow, about 80 percent of California remains in extreme drought this week, according to the most recent US Drought Monitor report. ... More than 28 percent of California is under exceptional drought, the most severe category. The US Drought Monitor report for Dec. 14, 2021.1 day ago.

Unfortunately our Politicians have been real good on mismanagement of Water, and now it is really showing up as more Arid areas in this once beautiful area that had large lakes......:(

https://www.google.com/search?q=Rai...UJkgEFNC41LjGYAQCgAQHIARLAAQE&sclient=gws-wiz

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=Carson+and+Colorado+Railway

Posted on
November 25, 2021
Southern Pacific #18 – December 2021

For the first time in months we had the opportunity to do a days worth of work in Independence. It was a small, mostly local crew that tackled three projects: reassemble #18 and continue the annual work, spread out track materials towards the final end of track, and install our #9 frog and continue work on the switch. A very productive day and a half!

https://carsoncolorado.com/

https://carsoncolorado.com/#jp-carousel-4417

Last edited:
There are so many NG Routes I have not heard of?

Now I'll save this one to my other searches and read up on it,,,,,,When you mentioned Owens Valley, It struck a Memory Cord in my mind! :eek:

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=owens+valley+california

I know where that it is, never had a Clue this ran thru that area, be it I usually drive thru on one of Local Freeways...... Which? Just so happens we do lots of Family Camping in the Summers in Sierra Nevada Range, beautiful area, except those Forest have succumbed a lot too the Current Extreme Drought and Forest Fires in the last 10 yrs..........:'(

Despite the rain and snow, about 80 percent of California remains in extreme drought this week, according to the most recent US Drought Monitor report. ... More than 28 percent of California is under exceptional drought, the most severe category. The US Drought Monitor report for Dec. 14, 2021.1 day ago.

Unfortunately our Politicians have been real good on mismanagement of Water, and now it is really showing up as more Arid areas in this once beautiful area that had large lakes......:(

https://www.google.com/search?q=Rai...UJkgEFNC41LjGYAQCgAQHIARLAAQE&sclient=gws-wiz

I've thought for a long time that maybe California could build a water desalination plant (or two) on the Pacific Coast to reduce the amount of water it needs from the Colorado River. The salt byproduct from the desalination process can then be used to salt roads in the winter to prevent ice from forming on them.

I've thought for a long time that maybe California could build a water desalination plant (or two) on the Pacific Coast to reduce the amount of water it needs from the Colorado River. The salt byproduct from the desalination process can then be used to salt roads in the winter to prevent ice from forming on them.
We don't salt the roads in California. Salt does not go well with the catalytic converters we have on our cars to meet emissions standards.

To contribute some more to this thread
zSXahac.jpg

its July 1930 and number 51 leaves dragon with a mixed freight of empty stock cars and full water cars for Watson and rainbow.
kEL21IZ.jpg

WHww5SL.jpg

crossing the dry wash that leads to the Black Dragon mine spur ...
wNQYbxq.jpg

and past Finnicum's store , now sporting a gas pump ... ( courtesy of Paul Gorski)
E2X4K2S.jpg

skirting the towering sandstone cliffs that line this section of the track ....
ZBvxGRq.jpg

about to enter the only major cutting on this section of the route. Cuts were in short supply on the uintah and there were no tunnels at all..... ( btw this is all shot in TANE so it should look better if opened in 2019. )

A series of shots from my Central Divide route, showing progress of a train on one of the 3'6" feeder lines making it's way from the portal to the exchange yard....

My-Trainz-Screenshot-Image.jpg

There's a bit of grid in the background of the fourth, but not too bad....

Andy ;)

Some 30ng for a change. The fictional Hatchet Creek extension with 2-8-2 No 20 and 2-6-6-2 No 31 hauling EBT hoppers on 30ng trucks.

Bob Pearson

few new shots from the Uintah, hopefully will be able to get a WIP around 90% complete on the DLS within the next month.
tctQzQS.jpg

RKANh2Z.jpg

oUSnIT3.jpg

hhd6SyR.jpg

Back