Laptop Questions

gp792

Butner Lines Railroad Co.
Hi all,

is it possible to add more RAM to a Dell Inspiron 1545? Also, can an external graphics card be added? Portability is not a concern for me, since I usually don't take my computer out of the house. Thanks.

The vast majority of notebooks bar the select few such as some Ultrabooks and Macbooks have upgradable So-DIMM storage, so this Dell should be fine for a RAM upgrade. As far as the GPU is concerned I would assume that it is not practical with this notebook. While it has an ExpressCard34 port you will struggle to find an inexpensive external dock for a GPU. Plus the system, which I believe is Core 2 Duo based, will bottleneck any modern GPU I'm afraid.

I wonder how Trainz would run if you put an SSD in the Inspiron 1545. I say that because before I built my budget gaming/Trainz PC, I ran Trainz on my Inspiron 1545 laptop. To get more a bit more fps, I used to run Trainz with Iobit's Gamebooster. If you run Gamebooster, I suggest using the laptop without the battery.

I wonder how Trainz would run if you put an SSD in the Inspiron 1545. I say that because before I built my budget gaming/Trainz PC, I ran Trainz on my Inspiron 1545 laptop. To get more a bit more fps, I used to run Trainz with Iobit's Gamebooster. If you run Gamebooster, I suggest using the laptop without the battery.

I have upgraded two Dell Inspiron M5110s recently with SSD's and they are very nippy machines, especially if upgraded to 8GB RAM. I did a trial install of my old TRS2004 on the 8GB one and it ran very sweetly even with the UP Big Boy.

edit* According to Crucial your lappy can take 8GB RAM in 2 x 4GB sticks

Last edited:
Back