What's YOUR Favorite Steamer

SP GS-4
sp4450-1.jpg

Hmm, tough question.

I like the appearance of B&Os engines, they look very "un-cluttered".
New Haven had some VERY tasty engines, especially the ones with the arched cabs find my favor.
C&Os engines just look menacing, like some gone-wild machines that are out to haunt plumbers.
The PRRs engines with their fireboxes have a great appeal, too.
The Anthracite-Roads are looking awesome and RF&P had some great Pacifics.
N&W got the perfect Mallets....
Really, really hard to make a choice!

My top 5:
-N&W Z1 class
-N&W unstreamlined J1 class
-GN Z class
-C&O H7
-NH L1 class

We had some fancy engines over here, too. Making a decission about my favorite here is impossible for me!
:)

REALLY!? Why did you have to bring Thomas up?

lets face it he is about the most well known of all steamers in the world. and i dont know of many kids that dont know him and his crew, those are the trainzers of tomorrow and the train spotters of tomorrow. my son and daughters now almost 30 still have great memories of seeing 3801 and the flying scotsman together in Australia when he was not even at school yet. It enabled them to relive for a short time what we older trainzers and spotters still have memories of. and why we all love steamers.

lmy son and daughters now almost 30 still have great memories of seeing 3801 and the flying scotsman together in Australia when he was not even at school yet. It enabled them to relive for a short time what we older trainzers and spotters still have memories of. and why we all love steamers.

I saw 4472 when I was 3 years old too, even though I was pretty much a baby I still remember getting on a train from Geelong to Spencer St with a mixture of Tangerine/Silver and Blue/Yellow passenger stock, all the noise from 2 Stroke engines idling with Gensets running and steam whistles, sadly Mum lost the photos of me next to it when I was 5 years old because we moved house.

Since then I've always been interested in the railways myself, your location says Ballarat, did you see the steam shuttles over the weekend?

Cheers.

the beauty of living up here is we see a lot of steam action here or near by and we love to go for a drive and sit and watch and listen to the living trains

My top 4
1. Southern Pacific 4-8-4 GS-4 4449
2. Pere Marquette 2-8-4 N-1 1225
3. Nickel Plate Road 2-8-4 S-2 765 4. Grand Trunk Western U-3b 6325

Last edited:
Probably some C&O 4-8-4s (such as 614) and those C&O 2-8-4s. And what makes this interesting is that I'm from Northern California.

Those C&O 4-8-4s and 2-8-4s are just......BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!

Last edited:
Back