NSW Sandy Hollow to Gulgong.

PGibbons

Another NSW based route will be on the DLS 'soon'.

This route represents the eastern section of the Sandy Hollow to Maryvale railway. Initial planning bagan in 1911 to build the line as an alternate to the main western line over the Blue Mountains and to a planned deep sea port at Salamander Bay in Port Stephens. The line crosses the Great Dividing Range between Gulgong & Ulan in
fairly flat undulating country where the Divide reaches one of its most western points in NSW.

Actual Work began as an unemployment relief scheme in the 1930's, with construction heading west from Sandy Hollow, east from Maryvale
and in both directions from Gulgong. When WW2 interviened in 1939 contstruction became limited to tunnels and 3 bridges over the Goulburn River. Work was gradually wound down and finally ceased in 1950, at which time the line was nearly 85% complete.

The line follows the course of the Goulburn River for most of its route to Wollar except for a section between Kerrabee and Coggan Creek where the railway takes a 'shortcut' to Cox's gap, via two tunnels then skirts the valleys to the longest tunnel on the route. The Bylong tunnel was to be the longest tunnel in the country at 1975m but was never completed during the early stages. This tunnel had been dug from each end but the middle 1km (approx) section was still to be excavated.

In 1975 with the expansion of the coal mines at Ulan construction of the eastern section from Gulgong to Sandy Hollow was recommenced and was officially opened in October 1982. During its construction the line was the longest section of railway built in NSW for decades. The NSW governments of the day seemed
more intent on closing railways unfortunately. Luckily we can still relive some of these routes in TRAINZ.

For more history and description of the line see Austrailan Diesel Scene - August 1992 (Eveleigh Press)

The original Ulan/Wollar section (on the DLS in 2003) was built using Topographic maps and Surveyor alone. The two end sections using TransDEM based files more recently.

As usual Ive tried to limit the scenery and encourage any users to add to or change the route to suit their tastes. The route may also be merged with the Merriwa route by ntesdorf if desired. (<kuid:224165:2028>)

Thanks to all content creators.
PG.

Last edited:
Hi Peter

I will look out for this.
It is good to see you are still actively building routes. You Have certainly covered a lot of miles.
Well done and thanks,

Tom

Just as an aside to your history lesson on the line. Last week I spent a few days at Nelson Bay on Port Stephens, just a stone throw from Salamander Bay - the ulimate destination of the planned line. It was my first visit to Port Stephens and it is a truly beautiful part of the NSW coast. I am very glad that the line was never completed and that Salamander Bay was never converted into a deep water port (the constantly shifting sandy bottom made that impractical) so that it could be enjoyed today as a fantastic holiday destination.

Back