Draw distance problem

flusi737

SBB Cargo Germany
Hello everyone...
seems like i can not live without this forum...lol

I have some kind of annoying and weird problem:
I have the highest detail and distance settings, but in both driver and surveyor, it only displays abot 500ft - 1500 ft. the scenery 'suddenly' pops in the screen just a few feet before the train, and if i place object in surveyor, they stay invisible until i move away from the scene and go back after 10 sec. I never had this problem before, my PC is a high end gaming machine so thats not the problem. I really can not understand this...

Here's a video showing what i mean,

Here some pics.

Any suggestions how to solve this? It destroys the fun in trainz completely :(

Felix Richter

First thing is I would find out what is causing that bug showing in the bottom left, just in case it's related.

Second thing is enable the in game developer stats and check what the worst buffer count is, anything over 100 is likely to be the cause or not helping the higher the value the more problems its can cause and needs replacing with something more efficient, probably the track, as there isn't a lot else there to cause the problem.

worst buffer count is 28....the track:

the bug has nothing to do with it (its removed in the new pic), it was because i added wrong textures to the R46O :p

Felix :)

Can't be the track then, hang on, just spotted what looks like a wire mesh or chain link fence in the video, go over to that in surveyor and see what the buffer count is there. I had serious problems with one causing very similar problems quite some distance from where it was located back when I was using 2010, one of tafweb's, now builtin I believe.

Thats a very high scenery load for an unpopulated board on that screenshot as well, normally would expect a heavily builtup area or loads of trees.

the fence is no problem too, i used it on many of my routes, never had problems.

normally would expect a heavily builtup area or loads of trees.

IS actually there around the depot :eek: !!! It just does not load!! Just glad this thing is a subway with only 40% elevated parts, so i have not that many objects...

In the real world, due to smog, one does not see more than 1 mile ... and at low level, standing on a train station platform, the low angle FOV of a railfan is a very short FOV distance.

Why not place rotating trackside cameras, way down low, to give the perspective of a pedestrian railfan's view ?

Most other video games have a FOV of a couple hundred feet, or less ... only Trainz has a infinate landscape to the horizon, that your video card can't keep up with all the trillions of video detail points in the distant FOV.

Whada' ya' want ... Rubber Biscuit ?

What build are you on? if it's between 49922 and 61388 you can expect possible problems with speedtrees not appearing or dissapearing as well as splines vanishing, affected some but not all.

I have 50027, it is a german version of the 49922 version without any of those so called 'service' packs :)

OK if its 49922 or equivalent it should be OK. The draw distance isn't wonderful but it should be better than that. Have a look in jetlog.txt, may be a clue in there if something odd is going on.

no jetlog entry...

Half of the details missing / not loaded, and some '1000m' draw distance even if i set it to max =

I should test if this problem is on my other routes too.....

Can't be the track then, hang on, just spotted what looks like a wire mesh or chain link fence in the video, go over to that in surveyor and see what the buffer count is there. I had serious problems with one causing very similar problems quite some distance from where it was located back when I was using 2010, one of tafweb's, now builtin I believe.

Thats a very high scenery load for an unpopulated board on that screenshot as well, normally would expect a heavily builtup area or loads of trees.

Just checked a big route I use with 15 Ai's, scene load=mid 50's. As you say 80+% seems odd.

Are those buildings splines? clutching at straws here as they look like Dave Drakes and I've never heard of any issues, unless someone's been "fixing" things in the DLS cleanup.

This has worked in the past for me when things have gone wrong, cloned the route in CM and the clone was OK.

Last time I had a weird problem was way back in 2009 when everything ground to a halt on one particular board 1 or 2 fps, from the normal 30 plus on adjacent boards, there wasn't an awful lot in that area either. I systematically deleted everything on that board until I was left with just track and ground textures, still the same problem, so I replaced each ground texture in turn and on the last one the problem was solved. The odd thing is there appeared to be nothing wrong with the actual texture and it was fine in other areas, one of Trainz's unexplained happenings I guess.

Well...this is what i just discovered. It is not a trainz problem, it is only this one route with the tunnelsystem.

Last edited:
Back