You don't see this everyday...hat trick!

Yea I saw that this morning. The guys lucky he survived that one. I wouldn't recommend trying it again, let alone two more times to accomplish the hat trick theory.

He was very lucky. Why didn't he attempt calling the authorities? They would have contacted the railroad and crew about the incident, and the train would have stopped sooner. This is of course assuming that he had cell access in the area.

John

If you hop on a train while it's already moving then you're a dumb@$$ in my book. He's lucky to survive, yeah. But he should at least pay a fine for the delay, if you ask me.

BBC News said:
Chad Vance said he had to leap onto The Ghan as it left the station at Port Augusta, South Australia, after he had disembarked during a 40-minute stop.
  1. If you go walkabout that's okay, but be sure to be back at the station at least 5 mins before the train leaves!
  2. If the train is already moving, you're too bloody late and get to deal with the consequences. Being all sorry for yourself for clinging to the outside of the train because you were too f'n late is plain stupid!
There, I vented. Seriously... some people! :eek:

Ed,
Thanks for keeping everybody entertained.
Are your "don't see this everyday..." threads going to become regular?
I kinda hope so.

Thank you for the kindness Woody, but no; I feel the hat trick was meant to be...(three "you don't see this everday"). Rest assured I'll post a link though, if I see something train related.

Gotta keep the post count up and all that...;)

Dumb

The guy is dumb, no doubt about that, but , I don't think there is cell access that far in the outback

Do we need two threads on the same subject? Smash beat you by about 44 minutes Euphod.

And besides, I have a few questions of what the media may not be telling.

120 miles is approx. 193 kilometres, and the article(s) give reference a time of 2 hours 20 minutes. Allowing for a few minutes extra minutes, that gives an average (remember average) speed of about 85 - 88 kmh (55mph). Surely The Ghan doesn't do this average speed on this section?

PS: Now if it said the same 2 hours 20 minutes for the "old" The Ghan, then I would NOT believe it. You wouldn't believe how sloooow the old Ghan was. Anyone want to repeat a famous joke about the old Ghan?

Last edited:
Euphod, at the time of this post of 22:52 Tue 09 Jun AEST, your thread shows a start of Yesterday, 12:30AM" AEST.

Yet Smashes thread shows a start of Yesterday, 11:46AM" AEST.

Odd that the forums would display a variance in time for different users, but my display shows this thread starting at 0930 AM on June 8th, 2009, and his thread starting at 0846 PM on the same day.

This is senseless to discuss further, so I won't be posting here again, but rest assured I do check to see if the subject has been posted BEFORE I post it, and it was not.

I hope you get your time travel paradox figured out there Red; remember to not change anything, and try not to meet yourself!:D

In California I get the 8th, 7:30am for Euphod, 6:46pm for Smash. Euphod by 11 hours.
If I do get caught in a time paradox and meet myself, I'll at least have someone worth talking to.

I would have gone to the station office and reported the emergency. I'm sure they have some means of contacting the train. For emergencies you should always carry your passport and wallet on you so you can access an ATM and identify yourself to authorities.

:cool:Claude

Ed wins. The times I see are the same as Ed stated.

The guys out here for a holiday a bit short of money.Leaves everything on the train except his phone he needed that to record the story & sell the video.

Now he's famous on TV the web & in the news & probably sold his story to pay for the trip & won some sort of bet with his mates back home.

He lucky he wasn't traveling by plane.

Dave

Euphod, my clocks are okay, and here is what I get, both have yesterday at the time.
yz1s9x.jpg

(No quoting picture)

But anyway, back to topic,
News article(s) show:
Vance received first aid from the crew — and a cup of soup — and was upgraded to a sleeper cabin for a hot shower and warm night's rest.
The article sounds like it's praising this idiot. Well that's a stupid thing for the crew to do by rewarding him with a cup of soup for not arriving back at the platform in time for the train. If it's the station with time allowed to get off, they usually tell you to be at the train BEFORE it's due to depart.

Last edited:
Back