Yosemite Valley Railroad

NIARTcar

Graphic Designer for Amtr
In the past year or so, I have studied here and there about the YVRR and I am thinking about possibly attempting a model of the route. However, I would like to know if anyone at this moment is modeling it themselves? I do realize the enormity of the route, I have been recently collecting sources to try to map out what is needed to be done. I found (after quite a bit of searching) a book that outlines the history of pasty railroads in California, among the list being the YVRR. The book has A complete roster for the companies locomotives as well as rolling stock. I am planning to skin as many of their locos as possible, and I have grabbed Bendorsey's equipment of the DLS, along with buildings and bridges.

Is there anything I may be missing?
and, If at all possible, how likely would it be for me to get my hands on a dem map of the 75 miles of Track owned by the YVRR?

If you are able to provide any help, its much appreciated

Thanks

I once, long ago, was a member of the Fiddletown & Copperopolis Switching & Historical Society, a model railroad club with a name arguably larger than the club. :hehe: There was no club layout. We operated on member layouts. The founder and leader of the F&CS&HS was Jack Burgess of Newark California. His HO layout was the YVRR. He was/is an award winning scratch builder that has had his layout featured in magazines. He researched the YVRR in part by walking the entire length of the route and interviewing many former YVRR employees and track side residents, etc., back in the '70s. As a result he was a YVRR historian and I believe he wrote a book or two about the YVRR. You might want to "Dogpile" him and see what you come up with.
You might want to start with http://www.yosemitevalleyrr.com/ but don't stop there.

Last edited:
cfj1604 and activerail were working on the YVRR in Trainz, but I don't know the current status. In addition to Jack's website mentioned above, there's a pretty active Yahoo group (YosemiteValleyRR) which has members modeling the YVRR in HO, Trainz, and MSTS (and probably others!).

Curtis

Ironically I had seen and favorited that site and layout before, go figure, small world. :hehe:

I want to take this operrtunity to learn more about using dem maps to create the surroundings and terrain, so that it is as accurate as possible. I currently do not poccess the sofware..... What should I need to know about this?

thanks for the helpfull responces

Is it near Yosemite National Park? I went there, but didn't see a railroad (i'm assuming its narrowgauge). :wave:

Nope, It was a shortline railroad, which extanged with SP lines at merced, and traveled to the yosemite valley. It was abandoned and the line was largely scrapped

yes it was, standard gauge, and It hitched up with the yosemite sugarpine rr as well, (A standard guage logging rr, with shays)

It's a fascinating little railroad, and one I'd love to see in Trainz someday :)

As for using DEMs, TransDEM is probably the best program for doing so, although there are 1-2 other programs that will also work (and are free)

TransDEM is at http://www.rolandziegler.de/StreckeUndLandschaft/startseiteTransDEMEngl.htm (click the Trainz Edition button for Trainz-specific info). Iirc, it works out to be about $30 after the currency conversion.

HOG (Hand of God) is a free program to utilize DEMs - there's a bit of a tutorial and links to the program itself at http://freepages.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~wewain/trainz/Surveyor/Baseboard/Topology/TerrainGeneration/Downloading-HOG.htm

There was a third program as well, but I don't remember it's name anymore :(

Hope that helps!
Curtis

Fishlipsatwork did a terrain map of the Yosemite Valley RR that did not make it to the DLS. (Maybe due to size?) It, together with a bunch of other such maps, is available free from the Great American Underground Railway Company http://www.gaurc.us/ in their section titled Terrainz. It covers everything from Merced to El Portal and includes the valley.

Hope this helps.

Bernie

Hi Guys:

First there are several Trainzers working on the YVRR.

Second I've made a lot of items specifically for it. Do a DLS search for YVRR. That should turn most if not all of it up.

Third I will be making more items for it in the furure.

Ben

P.S. Tons of good info, photos, drawings, etc in Jack Burgess's book "Trains To Yosemite".

Last edited:
Hello everyone,

I have recieved a DEM map from a fellow Trainzer of the entire route, textured like flat map. I plan to begin work soon (TM), but first, I need to collect more resources. In particular, I am looking for materials that I may use to lay track precisely. Ie, the correct area, with the correct # of tracks. As of now, most books I have are general books, that mainly focus on the Rolling stock and loco rosters of Old short lines. I have quite a bit of money saved for simply just research an materials.

What I am looking for in particular, Is either a book or site, that has a comprehensive composition of photographs that document the Railroad itself, (It would be appreciated if they provided the location in which it was taken also), I have come accross books like these, so I know that they do exsist, I Just need a little help finding them. I have read that several trainzers have books reguarding the YVRR, and I am wondering what I should be looking for.

Poped open the map and explored a little, Now realizing the work ahead, should be fun!
Screen_013.jpg

cheers

Do you have Burgess' book 'Trains to Yosemite'? It has track plans of quite a few points of interest, and a very large number of good quality photographs. Also, on his website listed above (http://www.yosemitevalleyrr.com/), the section called 'tracing the YRVV' (http://www.yosemitevalleyrr.com/tracing.htm) might help you match the old track locations to the map on your baseboards. He also has a track plan CD at http://www.yosemitevalleyrr.com/yosmtmdl.htm that should provide all the track info you would need.

Curtis

If you don't get Jack's book, you are not serious about the YVRR. Read it. Study it, then email Jack for more info as required. If he thinks you are both serious about YVRR in Trainz and talented, he might become a good friend of yours.

I emailed him earlier yesterday, I most likely am looking to purchase items in which he recomends (in addition to his book).. At this moment, I am working on the details of the content ussage for the route... particularly, I am looking for a track style that would most suit this route.... I am currently swaying twards your brown balast track pencil42..,. but I am looking for outside opinions.

cheers,

Last edited:
There are at least 3 Trainzers modeling the YVRR that I know of since they are the gents that asked me to make all the YVRR items I have on the DLS. I'm not certain it would be proper for me to name them without permission but hopefully they will read this thread and chime in. They are quite serious in thier modeling of the line.

BTW - Jack Burgess owns and has completely restored YVRR observation car number 330 which is one of the 102 items I've made for Trainz (including the stained glass windows). He also has a beautiful HO scale model railroad of the YVRR.

Ben

Last edited:
YVRR Dem Map and more

There is a YVRR chat group of over 100 on Yahoo. Yes there is a dem map of the YVRR from Merced to El Portal. Jack Burgess also has a web site with many YV item available including several CDs with rolling stock buildings and maps of the ROW. I have a Sim of the YV that I have been working on for a couple of years now. The DEM map that I am now using was created by cfl1604. I don't think he would mind if I shared it with someone. You can e-mail me at charlesball@verizon.net.

In the past year or so, I have studied here and there about the YVRR and I am thinking about possibly attempting a model of the route. However, I would like to know if anyone at this moment is modeling it themselves? I do realize the enormity of the route, I have been recently collecting sources to try to map out what is needed to be done. I found (after quite a bit of searching) a book that outlines the history of pasty railroads in California, among the list being the YVRR. The book has A complete roster for the companies locomotives as well as rolling stock. I am planning to skin as many of their locos as possible, and I have grabbed Bendorsey's equipment of the DLS, along with buildings and bridges.

and, If at all possible, how likely would it be for me to get my hands on a dem map of the 75 miles of Track owned by the YVRR?

Thanks

I recieved my DEM from cfl1604 as well, he contacted me and sent me the files.

@bendorsey, I have all of your items, they are quite wonderfully made and aree a wonderfull controbutuion to any route.

I may go take a look at the online chat group, they most likley will have valuable informaion
cheers,

Thanks
I haven't seen Jack Burgess' book, but he knows all there is to know. Also, Hank Johnston wrote 2 books: Railroads of the Yosemite Valley, Trans-Anglo Books 1966 and Short Line to Paradise, a paperback, not sure of the date. Lots of pictures in both.

Back