Yard Switching Company - log session

philskene

I have just uploaded a session for YardSwitchingCo 1a. You will be taking logs to and fence posts from Matchless Timber. All the items of rolling stock needed by the session will be downloaded from the Download Station when the session is installed.

In the Transfer Yard on the western side of the route you will find empty centerbeams and loaded log skeletons and flats:

YardSwitchingCo_West.jpg

The logs on the skeletons have to be sorted at the Dry Sort Yard. So take the skeletons to the Dry Sort and unload the logs on the southern side of the yard:

YardSwitchingCo_Centre.jpg

YardSwitchingCo_East.jpg

Reload the skeletons with logs on the north side of the yard. The logs on the flat cars have already been sorted out at the timber mill so there is no need to take them to the Dry Sort.

Take both the skeletons with the sorted logs and the flats to Matchless Timber. The skeletons will unload into the pond:

YSC_04.jpg

The flat cars will unload at the factory building. Remember that locomotives are not permitted under the canopy because of the limited clearance.

Load the centerbeams with fence posts. The cars will load when stationary between the triple yellow markers. Return the empty log cars and the loaded centerbeams to the Transfer Yard. Then contact the Dispatcher for your next assignment.

You will find that the Class 1 Railroad is running a very intensive schedule. You should expect to see AI trainz thundering past every two minutes or so. Be very careful with tracks on either side of the main station and keep off the track with concrete sleepers.

Maps and a readme will be found in the folder containing the session.

Look for this image on the Download Station:

YSC1a_Logs.jpg

This is the Dispatcher, out.

what the private parts is? yea it is
EDIT: uhh Phil when i try to DL the session it wont let me im usin TRS2006. im thinkin CMP is actin sorta funny but 5 hours later still wont go.

Last edited:
Hi Chris --

It's a small privately owned company that makes parts like thingamajigs, widgets and doofours for other larger manufacturers. Hence The Private Parts Company.

Adam --

I think it's at Auran's end. I've tried to downloaded rolling stock using Download Helper with no success. This now seems to happen very frequently on weekends.

Phil

I downloaded this session, but I can't seem to locate any of the cars (flat's or centerbeams) I can find the Loco's in the shed. I tried to use the FIND OBJECT option, but that only shows the Loco;s as well.

Am I suppose to add these other cars myself?

Hi gary --

I kinda suspect that the answer is contained here:

"I can find the Loco's in the shed".

If you have more than one loco in the shed then you have the session called "Explore". It has the GP60, BR Class 37 and VR S-class at the Depot. Just read the readme that comes with the session and go exploring. If you can't find the readme (it's in the folder containing the route), look here:

http://forums.auran.com/trainz/showthread.php?t=7364

Make sure you keep clear of those pesky AI trainz. Alister will just refuse to give way to you.

I've only just uploaded the log session. It probably wont be on the Download Station until Monday.

"Am I suppose to add these other cars myself?" I'm a perpetual optimist - I always hope that everything downloads as it should and you don't have to chase anything yourself.

Phil

Phil Skene strikes again! :D

Well done young fella. Although it bears a more than passing resemblance to your Invercargill yards this is fun with a capital F. I just love mucking around shunting wagons here, there and everywhere.

Just a little feedback on your log session mate. Those odd looking skeleton log cars you use seem to have a small problem with them:

When I'm setting back with a rake (like when using a load/unload track) I like to click on the last wagon and control the loco from there. That's the shunter riding on the leading wagon and radioing instructions to the driver. When a skeleton car is used by the shunter the controls for the automatic brake (train brake) become dysfunctional. Throttle, reverser and independent brake all work correctly but the automatic brake will not respond to the keyboard controls (I use the numeric keypad). A bit of a disadvantage as you can imagine! :D

If I ride on any of the other wagons, the centrebeams or flats, all the controls are fully functional including the automatic brake. This would suggest there is an issue with the skeleton cars though what it might be and how it might be fixed is beyond me.

The solution for me is to make sure that when I'm riding on the skeleton cars the speed of the consist is kept to a figure that the independent brake can cope with. This layout is a low speed shunt layout anyway so it's not really an end-of-the-world problem.

I look forward to a plethora of "mucking around" sessions from you on this layout. It's a real hoot.

Congratulations on another successful project. :D

Cheers

Nix

Last edited:
Hi Nix –

So you noticed the similarities with Invercargill on Urban IndustRail? I was wondering when somebody would comment.

Originally I thought I’d do a small yard with masses of detail – you know, all the grass, debris and the multitude of small features that looks so outstandingly good in some of the screen shots we’ve all seen recently.

But I soon found that a small yard can be deadly dull after a while and the high detail creates a major hit on frame rates.

So I reverted to what works best for me – something that looks as if it could be realistic but with lots of operational potential and reasonable frame rates.

Just one comment though – it’s much better to access the Class 1 Transfer Yard from the western end. If you do use the eastern approach over the track used by the AI tainz, make sure that you restore all the switches to the default setting. Alistair gets confused if you don’t, will come to a complete halt and will refuse to budge.

I came across the brake issue you describe with the log skeletons a while back after a harrowing encounter with buffers at the end of a siding. I could never figure out why it happens or how to fix it. The method I now use with these cars is to ride on the locomotive but use the 4-key view. This allows me to use the key board controls as normal but move with the last car on the train.

Thanks for the comments, Nix and Ish. A few more sessions are under development.

Phil

Hi Phil,

Recently you have been creating many many sessions!!:D However, are expending on the Industrail? Correct me if I got the title wrong!

If you are, and if you like, drop me a line here or e-mail I can create something specific and unique much like the warehouses which you have made so famous, and I am so graceful ... The download for those warehouses have surpassed over 100,000X, all in thanks to you ... anything you need ... just let me know!!

It's one reason I always bump your threads ... just helping out a good and long friend in forumland!!:D

Ishie:)

Hi Phil

I was only visiting there earlier today and I noticed a new loco getting tested. Do you know anything about this being the CEO, or was it just someone being a bit naughty...

screen054ig1.jpg

Cheers
Tony

Oooh! Yum yum! :D

That's a nuggetty lookin' loco. Is it for us plebs too? Must remember to download a jetpack with it so the crew can get up into the cab! :D

Cheers

Nix

Tony, Nix --

That locomotive is on loan to see if it meets our needs. Unfortunately it's a shade too big and not run down enough for our crews to use. They are more used to:

YSC_08.jpg

YSC_09.jpg

And even:

YSC_10.jpg

YSC_11.jpg

Seriously, I thought that our four stall loco shed might be a shade on the small size as we slowly accumulate locomotives. Looks like we are approaching maximum capacity very quickly.

For those interested, the B&O switcher can be downloaded at:

http://www.steammachine.com/bdaneal/dl.htm

Scroll down to "B&O Docksider".

I think the other is called a Mechanical Mule and comes from an Italian site that may no longer exist. For those who understand the language, the license says "Buon divertimento". Does that mean that I can provide a link to my hosting site for those who want to download it?

Now Tony, have I blinked and missed both that loco and those log cars? Can I download both or either somewhere?

Phil

Tony, Nix --

That locomotive is on loan to see if it meets our needs. Unfortunately it's a shade too big and not run down enough for our crews to use.

Now Tony, have I blinked and missed both that loco and those log cars? Can I download both or either somewhere?

Phil

Hi Phil

No, you haven't missed it. It's still in the paint shop getting final coats of paint, but occasionally it gets let out if there is a motive power shortage, or if the chief engineer just wants a play :D

Nix, jet packs shouldn't be required, that's what tender steps are for :)

When it gets ready for full mainline certification, I'll let you know.

Cheers
Tony

I think the other is called a Mechanical Mule and comes from an Italian site that may no longer exist. For those who understand the language, the license says "Buon divertimento". Does that mean that I can provide a link to my hosting site for those who want to download it?

Phil

"Buon divertimento" means "have fun".
In case someone complains you can always stop hosting the file.

Back