Would you like to see my new desktop? Yes, that's right. (and a few questions)

You might try Gloucester Terminal Railroad by George Fisher if you want to give your rig a good workout. It is available on the DLS.

Cheers.
Anything by Gfisher is a good test for highend computers.
His routes are soo well put together, that they are a FPS overload on middleclass machines like mine.
my 2c
Sean

you can set the disk to dynamic on the computer management console under storage\disk management

TY. :)

Btw, this is a message I was writing to the Wikipedia helpdesk, but theres a problem with their servers right now.

== NTLDR and Vista ==

Alright, so I built a giant professional computer rig and ordered Vista OEM 32-bit. The problem... when I first booted up vista after installing it I got the message "NTLDR is missing, press any key to restart". I pressed a key and it loaded vista fine. The thing is that, I can't access the boot menu (like being able to boot with safe mode, which I REALLY need) and I can't add more than one OS. I plugged in my older HDD to transfer the data from it to the new computer and I got a message about an error loading the OS (when I removed the extra disk it went back to normal). How do I fix this? It happened from the get go although I have not seen "NTLDR is missing, press any key to restart" since.

Stats: Intel E6600 Core 2 Duo, Intel D975XBX2 mobo, Nvidia 8800 GTX, 4GB memory (2 sticks), 2 Seagate Barracuda 500GB drives (one is being used, although the other is completely empty) I have a USB floppy drive but no floppy disks to use (except for RAID floppies, but I will not overwrite them).
----
Sounds like your other hard drive or your DVD drive are in front of the main HDD in the boot order. Move your main hard drive to the first position in the BIOS setup utility and use the boot device menu (mine's F12) if you ever need to boot from a CD. I have no idea why NTLDR would be having problems.. you can try restoring it with [http://www.sysint.no/Nedlasting/MbrFix.htm this utility] (use the /vista flag) or even the XP recovery console (boot an XP disk and hit R)- I'm pretty sure that fixboot and fixmbr work fine if you run them over a vista installation
----
They don't. MBR in XP and Vista are completely different animals, but that doesn't matter in this case since it's obviously okay or else Vista wouldn't boot. NTLDR is Windows's bootloader. To get to safe mode, press F8 just before the point where the error message came up earlier to bring up the menu.
----
Well, I went into the BIOS and put the HDDs first in the boot order. After the intel splash screen it still just jumps straight to loading vista, however. I still wish for a boot screen to be present. I also need it because I need other options than just standard safe mode, and I need to recover this data of the other hard disk in question!

EDIT: Does making a disc dynamic carry the risk of data loss?

Last edited:
Lo_Poly, did you read my post above about VistaBootPro ?

You should read there support forum and or ask there for help as Iam sure they will be able to advise you on how to fix it. Also If you try VistaBootPro it might be able to fix the problem.

John

Lo_Poly, did you read my post above about VistaBootPro ?

You should read there support forum and or ask there for help as Iam sure they will be able to advise you on how to fix it. Also If you try VistaBootPro it might be able to fix the problem.

John

I tried installing the Vista bootloader with it, but I still cannot have more than one OS, and I still do not see the bootloader screen. :(

I tried installing the Vista bootloader with it, but I still cannot have more than one OS, and I still do not see the bootloader screen. :(

Then I suggest you go to their forum and read some of the solutions for various problems. If you dont find a answer easily, register for the forum and explain your problem, they are very helpful ( they were when I had some problems ) and I am sure they can help.

John

EDIT: Does making a disc dynamic carry the risk of data loss?
Yes it does.
Kenny
P.s. I wondered if you could tell me what the name of the sidebar gadget is that displays your harddrive?
There is that message long Enough?

Last edited:
P.s. I wondered if you could tell me what the name of the sidebar gadget is that displays your harddrive?

It was too glitchy so I uninstalled it. You wouldn't want it - If you try to do anything with it, it turns into a big black box and crashes the sidebar. :eek:

This weekend my mom is going to pick up some DVD-RWs so I can backup the system to them, I will then create a RAID 1, 2, or 5. :)

Back