Would anyone know about this Computer Part

seeseeme

Getting Older :)
Hi Everyone,

I now have my new computer and everything is going fine. So far I have installed 2004 and 2010 plus all the service packs/patches and they are working very well. Actually I was amazed at the speed of installing most of it.

Now though I am in the process of installing/transferring all my Trainz content from the old computer to the new. While I have copied my World and local folders onto an External Hard Drive and I am installing from there to the new computer I am still finding I need to go back to the old computer at times.

To move back and forth I need to swap over my monitor, keyboard and mouse leads. While talking on Messenger this morning I was told I could buy an attachment that would allow both computers to basically be connected with only a keyboard entry (or something) to swap between the computers. As I live 100's km away from major stores I need to look on-line for this but I have no idea what I am looking for or even a clue at a name. I just tried some "names" and nothing worked, I am not good at these sorts of guessing games :hehe:

Would anyone have any ideas on a name or even what I am looking for?

On another issue, as I said I copied my local folder for 2010 to an External Hard Drive and then used CM3.2 to import the content. I have noticed though that I am missing a lot of items, it seems as though it was not either copied over or CM3.2 did not import it properly. Has anyone any ideas about this or have heard anything similar? It is not really a problem as I can get it back easy enough (one reason for swapping between computers) so that is not a worry, I am just curious.

Many thanks,

Craig
:):):)

Yes there is something that can be got. It is a special kind of cable system with a series of connections that allows you to have two pcs connected to one monitor. I did have it at one time but for the love of me cannot remember what it is called. There is a national chain here in Gt Britain called Maplin's and got it in one of their stores. It also allowed you to have a hot key to tap and switched you from one pc to the other on the screen. If you don't get any suitable reply here get back to me and I will go into one of the Maplin stores here in Glasgow for a name then you can follow that up at your end? Sorry to be vague but at least you know there is something!

Bobby

It's called a KVM (Keyboard-Video-Mouse) switch. They are often cheap but make sure whatever you buy comes with full sets of cables for each machine. This is often where things get expensive, but it's generally not too expensive if you are just looking for a 2-machine switch. Many nowadays handle USB for your keyboards and mice as opposed to PS/2 mouse and keyboard connections like mine has. There is a limit to screen resolution supported, so pay attention to specs (as always!.) Some can switch sound outputs too.

Hi Craig,

Yes I have one of these gadgets. Very handy, but beware if you have one computer that uses PS2 keyboard and mouse and the other uses USB keyboard and mouse, this will cause lots of problems.
Look here:- http://www.aten.com/
There are others but this is the most reliable I think.

Cheers,
Bill69

Thanks for your help guys, I have found what you are talking about and think I can work it out.

My keyboard is a PS/2 while my mouse is a USB connection. The monitor is just a general monitor connection that works on both computers so I suppose it is a standard connection.

I found a KVM switch that only takes PS/2 connections for the mouse and keyboard however I remembered I have this little green converter thingo to convert from USB to PS/2 for my mouse :clap:. The switch comes with all the cables which from the image the connections for the mouse and keyboard are both PS/2 connections or a USB one, its hard to see. Either way my 2 computers can handle both setups. Anyway before I purchase anything I will ring the place in Sydney. Here is a link to the one I am thinking of;

http://www.dlink.com.au/products/?pid=517

Many thanks for your help, its much appreciated.

Craig

Craig

If you want to use bothe machines from the one key board and mouse, do a google search for 'Input Director', it works better than a KVM switch as you can move the mouse from one screen to the other with no switching. It works happily with Win7 and XP

All that is needed is to have the two machines networked. Try it before you spend more money.

If you do want to go the KVM way, there is one that will handle USP ports. It is called Server Link Star

Peter

I basically do the same thing with Remote Desktop Connection (built into some versions of windows) . No extra devices necessary, I just set up a network through the router. If all your trying to do is transfer files over then setting up a Shared Folder between the two is an even simpler step.

Craig, just a bit of advice from a fellow Aussie, you might wanna try looking at ACO and compare prices before you get that KVM as it's available from ACO for $57 + shipping out of Sydney here: http://www.computeronline.com.au/products.php?C_ID=10&S_ID=300&PROD=16305

It saves you a trip and phone call as working through ACO can be done all online, and the item comes to you (usually within 3-5 work days).
Thanks Technous285, the link I had was not where I was buying it from, it was just more the manufactures site to show what I was thinking of. Living on the Far South Coast means we have no real choice of computer stores around here so for things like this, or any real computer parts actually.

You link though was handy to compare price as it was the same as the place I had found so for that many thanks, at least I know I am not being ripped off. Still though I will check a couple of other sites as well now that I know what I am looking for.

Many thanks again and thanks to all who replied and helped, its much appreciated.

Craig

Thanks Technous285, the link I had was not where I was buying it from, it was just more the manufactures site to show what I was thinking of. Living on the Far South Coast means we have no real choice of computer stores around here so for things like this, or any real computer parts actually.

You link though was handy to compare price as it was the same as the place I had found so for that many thanks, at least I know I am not being ripped off. Still though I will check a couple of other sites as well now that I know what I am looking for.

Many thanks again and thanks to all who replied and helped, its much appreciated.

Craig
It's okay, I live 40km out of Wagga Wagga, and find it's in the long run cheaper to order something from ACO and wait the 3-5 work days than it is to use a 1/4 tank of petrol to drive in to Wagga, pick up the item from one of the couple of computer shops in town and drive the 40km back home.

I'm currently building up money so I can get from ACO a new mobo, CPU & set of DDR3 RAM chips to upgrade my current clunker, but that's over in another thread.

It's okay, I live 40km out of Wagga Wagga, and find it's in the long run cheaper to order something from ACO and wait the 3-5 work days than it is to use a 1/4 tank of petrol to drive in to Wagga, pick up the item from one of the couple of computer shops in town and drive the 40km back home.

I'm currently building up money so I can get from ACO a new mobo, CPU & set of DDR3 RAM chips to upgrade my current clunker, but that's over in another thread.
Just done that and used the net for it, had the computer built in Sydney to my requirements and freighted down here. There is no real choices here to get that done and traveling to Canberra or Sydney to do a deal up there is far more expensive. There is only one store in the area to buy parts from and then I am not happy with them, there are a few places to have one built but on-line is far cheaper.

I'll have a look at your other thread, but if you want to PM me about then then do so.

Craig

Back