Wondering about American Civil War Assets

crisger

RR Mod Maker
I am starting a new project to create assets and a route for the American Civil War featuring the Federal City Point Arsenal and marshalling yard, the river campaigns, and the siege of Petersburg. I have got work started on the 4-4-0 MRR locomotives, confederate locomotives and rolling stock for both sides, and have built up over several years assets for the military equipment including shps, ironclads, artillery, camp tents, and quartermater supplies. Making the horse drawn assets of all kinds will be important and I have structures a large number of them for it already.

I remember seeing some Civil War assets for past versions of Trainz in the library some time ago when i was seeking things for the Rollins Pass project. Just wanted to see if anyone knows what exists for Trainz from the 1860 - 1965 link and pin era. The tech and the design of both locos and rolling stock didnt change too much until about the 1880s when monitor roofs came in on passenger cars and more advanced brakes, and other hardware appeared and locomotives continued to evolve as well. We will have only the 4-4-0s of the early era but hope to have the full range of house style freight cars, and the two types of passenger coaches then in use.

thanks for any info. I am not sure we will do a trainz version but the route and project will be ported to several formats and Trainz and TANE does a great job visually even tho there are other issues with the full functionality of steam dynamics and other things. with the new planned landscaping and texturing improvements i am open to doing a Trainz Version for the research and planning and design can apply here and we can convert our assets easily to Trainz using 3D canvas Pro from the editors we use for asset creation.

thanks for any ideas.

Chris

933QJ1.jpg

h7qJTo.jpg

22DsDE.jpg

TBryson2 - W & A RR The General, Yonah, and Texas. Pencil42 - W & A RR 34' coach, combine. WVA-USA - W & A RR archroof boxcar, conductor car. springtransit - Great Locomotive Chase,<kuid:153640:1088> route.

:D

My-Trainz-Screenshot-Image.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Norm excellent thanks a lot!!! you always come thru with the Gold :) ah a screenshot, nice, looks fun.

i remembered seeing some Civil war figures listed in the older version of the download library when it was still seperate from the new one...but never had time to check them out.

Buildings were very similar to what i have been making for Colorado steam era routes now for several years, clapboard mostly wood with more important ones like churches, town halls, masonic lodges, etc in stone.

many of the towns in the South were very sophisticated and civlized and cultured before the yankees burned then to the ground... :)

Chris

Last edited:
Comes from being compulsive. ;)

The route and most of the dependents are on TPR BTW. Some minor repairs are needed on some of the rolling stock.

Have fun!

While we are on the subject, I just found this

My-Trainz-Screenshot-Image.jpg

<kuid:66545:1001860> Civil War Bridge route on the DLS featuring an armored bridge by stryker. Pretty impressive, has gates that open and a working center swing bridge. :D

A bit of research; this was the L&N RR bridge over the Cumberland River at Nashville, TN.

Last edited:
Holy cow that is fine work! i am going to make some of those too.

TPR? not sure what the means...

and yes i was kind of just curious to see what others might have made, i will be making just about everything new with high detail textures and compete historical provenance based on a large collection of old photos and resources I have been collecting in my usual way. ...the research takes years..and i started on this 5 years ago.

Many of the things i need have never been modeled in any sim format...so will take time but i am used to that. thanks again for the pics. My interest is as usual to tell the whole story, not just the trains but the entire life and times of the subject.

and yes Pencil's stuff is perfect i have always admired his older items and work and this will be an ideal chance for them, for much of the RR service structures from the 1860s ere identical in form and function across the country..as the entire technology was evolving everywhere using the same basic tech but with variations of guage, and style, there were also many early forms of rail, and track size....and car design and type, wtih very little standarization but the war changed all of that.

thanks again, that bridge is really cool.

Chris

If I recall correctly (and it's been a while), both Meridious and Whecsailor had some Civil War stuff on the DLS. It's all from the early days of Trainz, though.
I also did a couple of wood ricks and water towers for that era.

That looks like a fun project!
Curtis

Hi Curtis! thanks, and thank you Gentlemen all. for the info i will go hunting but due the limited search ability of the download library it helps a LOT to have clues :) thanks so much... and yes i will probably be making all new objects for i am suing very detailed high resolution wet plate glass negatives which have infinite resolution to make textures from actual historic objects. Same for figures i plan to make many figures using actual named people for their specific roles and jobs. I have managed to find some very rare photos taken at the Siege of Peterburg of just about everyone conceivable including Telegraph operators, wheelwrights, Engineers, officers who I have found in records and their families and kids, even General Grant's horse Cincinnati. That is the level of detail that i seek in this work and makes it a work of restoration as well as creation.

but it will help a lot to see what might be lurking in the Trainz files. thanks again

LxUb9y.jpg

Company B Engineers Battalion Petersburg Siege Federal Army

FCB67V.jpg

Federal Officers in Camp

i plan to make detailed accurate camps of both sides.

z1MeeP.jpg

Horse drawn technology was essental for the time, over a million horses were used for the war and i plan to have detailed and accurate wagons and horse equipment of all kinds. so they needed lots of wheels and so i plan to include the wheelwrights who made the wheels out of nine differnt types of wood typically...

LKODhe.jpg

Chris

Last edited:
thanks again,

however Leefer does not exist according to the DLS ...sigh. Dreddan does tho thansk.

here are some prototype research sample, by various people, several by John Fleming and by Larry Mullet we will use as idea sources...and an engine by Jon Davis repainted to USMRR partially

aYstAJ.jpg

https://imageshack.com/a/img923/5999/sb0GGz.jpg

vufbZD.jpg

XMBUtn.jpg

XzaO8x.jpg

and some ships: i plan to include a river setting with typical ships of both sides on one of the fort attack campaigns

USS Cairo River Monitor derived from a source file from Larry Mullett of the CSS Virginnia (Merimack)

Mla5nM.jpg

DZ5hqa.jpg

tDFeow.jpg

Last edited:
however Leefer does not exist according to the DLS ...sigh

2x 'r's - 'leeferr'

Curtis

edit: one thing; I believe all these assets were built for standard-gauge instead of 5' gauge (for the southern content). At the time, people didn't want to worry about custom 5' gauge track and decided 4' 8.5" was 'close enough'.

Last edited:
thanks Harold, i heard of those from the maker a while ago just found them today nice work. and thanks Curtis, yep i found him finally thanks for the"r" :)

seem to be quite a few assets, i will check them out as soon as i gather them in

thanks all

Chris

Back