Will this dude JUST give up!?!?!?!?

It definitely takes time to get used to this place, Rick. Back when i was new, i didn't capitalize anything at all, people hated me, and i was a general annoyance. Nowadays i look back and think: "Wow, i was annoying back then.". :hehe:

I used to have a couple sets from Whittle Shortline. They are a company that makes wooden models of class 1 RR's. Had a lot of fun with those things, but they are expensive! $60 a set.......

Hi everybody.
To comment in regards to members stating how the forum has changed the way they behave online, interact with other people and altered their perception of how to make what you write easily acceptable to others, perhaps i can add another perspective. In the forgoing would wish to advise members on how this forum has helped me any number of times over the years I have made Trainz my hobby and been a member of this forum.

In my work I very often have to type long and complex reports in regards to industrial accidents which have to be forwarded to employers, insurance companies and often for the British courts. In the foregoing it is important that I get the wording of these reports “spot-on” as you do not want any smart ass lawyer verbally tearing your report apart to the cost of our clients and my own embarrassment.

I am a good typist with a speed of 50 to 60 words per minute or I very often use voice recognition software to make things easier. However, there often comes that time when you just cannot find the phrase or wording you feel you are looking for to make a written statement sound correct in reading. When finding myself in these situations several years ago I would visit the Coffee machine or water cooler in the hope that taking my mind off the problem for a few minutes would “reset my brain” and the correct wording would come forward, but often this did not happen.

That stated, approximately 7 years ago I found the miracle answer to the problem, which is, save the document, minimise word and open up the Trainz forum. Reading all the topics and arguments really does take my mind off any work problems, as it relaxes me back into what is my hobby and the people I have known and communicated with on this forum for so many years. I genuinely always find that after 10 or 15 minutes engaged on this forum I am able to go back to any report I am having problems with and being refreshed, find the exact wording, phrasing or paragraphing I am looking for.

In the above, only last week I was travelling down by train from London late in the evening at the end of a very long day. I was trying to type up a document which would be needed by a co-worker in the office the following morning. Being tired the wording was not coming easily so I opened up the Trainz forum where they were discussing T:ane. After 10 minutes of “smiling” at some of the postings I once again realised that those working at N3V have far bigger problems than I had on that evening. Therefore, I was able to return to my document in much better frame of mind and quickly completed it which was then emailed into the office ready for the following morning.

It would be impossible to say how many times I have quietly thanked N3V, this forum and its members for helping me complete my work. So, I will say on the forum for the first time publicly a very large, truthful and genuine, THANK YOU VERY MUCH. For me there is no other forum like it on the Internet.

Apologies to the opening poster for taking your topic even further thread, but the above is something I have wished to state for some time. If N3V charged persons such as me a subscription for access to this forum I would willingly pay.

Bill

Last edited:
If N3V charged persons such as me a subscription for access to this forum I would willingly pay.

I will happily send you my account number for your subscription deposits:D

I agree wholeheartedly. Trainz is one of only two forums that I regularly inhabit and contribute to, and, like you, I find the range of views, posts (some very annoying but still interesting) and personalities to be refreshing.

Hi pware and everybody.
Pware, please send me for details of the account I am to subscribe to and I will donate twenty-five cents per month as my subscription to the maintenance of this forum :D.

Like yourself pware I only visit one or two Internet forums regularly with this being the prevalent one as it has concerned what is my hobby for so many years. The Trainz franchise being much smaller than its main competitor has made this forum much more “inclusive” than UK trainSim which is the main domain of those (including me) who use the DTG simulator here in Britain.

Having said the above, I really have not had much time for either simulator in recent months due to pressures of work. However, as I stated in my posting at #65 of this thread I still like to look in on the forum as I find it takes me out of myself and into the world of my hobby where I always like to be as I find it always provides a great source of relaxation.

In the foregoing I always have found that Trainz classics and version 10 where the best in providing relaxation as they seem to be far simpler in their use, and building my North Devon route never seemed have any problems other than finding the right content.

Returning to the forum, the main thing we seem to have lost in last couple of years would be the humour that so often prevailed in threads prior to the release of Trains 12. Two threads especially come to mind for those who can remember, the first being one started by PFX entitled “beer is brain food” which I always remember as being one of the most hilarious threads there has ever been on the Internet. The second one, just like this one started under a different topic but then progressed to discussing the dubious benefits of the “rail mounted public convenience” which again for me and I know many others became one of the funniest threads ever posted on this forum and probably most other forums.

Perhaps I am looking back at the forums through rose coloured glasses, but I believe prior to approximately 2010 or 12 we seemed to be able to discuss almost anything on the forum in regard to any subject without people becoming upset, most of which was conducted through the Trainz community section of the forum which was much more widely used than it is today.

ED, acted as the father of the forum (anybody still remember ED) in those discussions as he seemed to have the ability to reply to anyone’s posting in that section within a few minutes making it almost a Trainz pre-runner of Facebook or Twitter long before they ever got established. As I remember it was ED, rsignal, john citron, pfx, casper and several others who always led the discussions usually with great humour which made Trainz so much more than a hobby in being a great part of this simulators supporters lives.

Again, perhaps I am looking back through rose coloured glasses, but I feel the Trainz community section of the forum should once again be brought back as the “community talk shop” with all the interesting discussion and especially the humour that it once held within it, and in which we all enjoyed so much.

Bill

Last edited:
Hi everybody.........snip

Apologies to the opening poster for taking your topic even further thread, but the above is something I have wished to state for some time.....
Bill
Hey Bill,
I assume you are trying to say "taking your thread even further off-topic". I fear the smart-assed lawyers would have a field day with that sentence!:hehe:
Mick.

... <snippage> ...
Two threads especially come to mind for those who can remember, the first being one started by PFX entitled “beer is brain food” ... <more snippage> ...

which can be located at <http://forums.auran.com/trainz/showthread.php?69102-Beer-is-brain-food/>, for those whose curiosity is aroused.

... The second one, just like this one started under a different topic but then progressed to discussing the dubious benefits of the “rail mounted public convenience” ... <still more snippage ... >

Can also be read, located at <http://forums.auran.com/trainz/showthread.php?115433-Train-Announcements>.

ns

Back