Will Driverless Vehicles Mean the Decline of Railways

I can see that working here as well on a regional basis, and it already does somewhat with our commuter operator. The Massachusetts Bay Transit Authority (MBTA, or T) operates both the commuter rail, intercity and greater Boston bus services, tram, trolley bus, over ground, and subway (underground) services within Massachusetts and under license into Rhode Island. There were plans to extend the commuter rail over the north border with New Hampshire, but New Hampshire didn't want to spend a dime to extend the service since it benefits on the tolls collected on its commuters.

Currently a commuter rail monthly pass holder will get pre-paid passage on the inner city rail transit, and any of the connecting buses. The commuter then simply gets on the commuter train and then switches to their respective service at the other end all without the necessary queuing up at the ticket machines to purchase a Charlie Card.

Extending this service to transit-company owned driverless vehicles may work, but I don't see that for individual owners. There are some bus companies, outside of the T service area, which operate under state license for the operator. The MVRTA, aka the Merrimack Valley Transit Authority for example, runs local shuttle buses which honor the T commuter passes during off peak hours. If such a local transit operator offered these driverless vehicles for hire, or perhaps only during the commuting hours, commuters could then purchase a through ticket for driverless car and subsequent transfer to other services and final destination.

The issue I see with this arrangement is lack of coordination between the rail operators and the driverless car operators. Given how messed up the T can be, like your Network Rail, this isn't going to happen anytime soon. It seems that the T sometimes can't get out of its own way when it comes to some matters, which only makes things worse.

Back