wide-screen monitor

Ben1337

Trainz operator
I've got a new 20inch Hp wide screen monitor and everything on looks stretched.

I wonder if trainz supports a wide screen monitor.

If so how do I get it to support one?

Any support would be appreciated.

Well...I'm using TC3.

Sorry for not mentioning that earlier.

I assume that TC3 supports widescreen.

Yes you can, and it doesn't depend on the options you have in the "configure Trainz" window either.

I run TRS2004 in 16:10 Widescreen at 1680x1050 all the time, despite the option not being in the setup screen.

Simply add the following to your Trainzoptions.txt file:

-width=1680
-height=1050

changing them to whatever Widescreen resolutions your Card and Monitor can handle.

Smiley.

I did a search for the text file but it said
I notice you're using TC3.
I believe that the file has been changed to Trainzoptionsclassics.txt (or something like that) for TC3.
No idea why they felt the need to change the name of that file just for Trainz Classics, but I'm sure there was a real important reason for doing so. lol

Anyway, you'll find the correct file in the folder you installed TC3 into.

And like I said before, check which resolutions your card and monitor can handle.
If you've just bought the monitor, you should see the recommended resolution
mentioned in the manual.
I'd recommend setting it to this, as it avoids image scaling and you get a much better image.

BTW, mine's a HP w22 inch.
Very nice monitors.

Smiley.

I notice you're using TC3.
I believe that the file has been changed to Trainzoptionsclassics.txt (or something like that) for TC3.
No idea why they felt the need to change the name of that file just for Trainz Classics, but I'm sure there was a real important reason for doing so. lol
actually I think that it's trainzclassicoptions.txt and not Trainzoptionsclassics.txt.
And like I said before, check which resolutions your card and monitor can handle.

If you've just bought the monitor, you should see the recommended resolution
mentioned in the manual.
I'd recommend setting it to this, as it avoids image scaling and you get a much better image.
How can I check the resolutions that my graphics card can handle?
BTW, mine's a HP w22 inch.
Very nice monitors.

Smiley.
It's a lot brighter then my old one.:D

Last edited:
...cut... How can I check the resolutions that my graphics card can handle? ...cut...

Right-click on your desktop background, and choose properties in the menu that comes up. Then go to the settings tab, and there should be a slider under the picture of a monitor. This sets the resolution of windows, and you can slide it around and see what settings your card supports. Try some of the settings and see which looks best. This will generally be the recommended setting for the monitor.

Hi
If your monitor only supports 60 Hz then that's what you need to set.

Having an higher Hz if your monitor doesn't support it will damage your monitor, if a monitor supports higher Hz then the higher the setting the more faster your screen updates.

Usually TFT monitors don't support higher than 60 Hz but check with the manufacturers manual for confirmation.

Hi
If your monitor only supports 60 Hz then that's what you need to set.
Yeah. but trainzclassicsoptions.txt only contains:
-DepthBits=24
-StencilBits=8
-fullscreen
-Jet=bin
-cabinfov=65
-driverfov=55
-DefaultAutoMip=none
-vsync=0
Having an higher Hz if your monitor doesn't support it will damage your monitor, if a monitor supports higher Hz then the higher the setting the more faster your screen updates.
Yeah. that's what you would to expect would happen.
Usually TFT monitors don't support higher than 60 Hz but check with the manufacturers manual for confirmation.
Ok.:D Thanks.

P.S.I should have pointed what trainzclassics options.txt had earlier.

Sorry forgot to mention that Trainz (whatever version) uses what Hz your default monitor is set at there's no setting that I know of that can be set for Hz, unless somebody else knows different.

There's a fequency setting in the Trainz settings program, but it's best left to Auto so that it uses the frequency that your monitor is currently using, which should be left at 60Hz.

The only 2 you should add to your trainzclassicsoptions.txt are the height and width ones mentioned earlier.

Smiley.

I believe that the native (or default) resolution for your monitor should be 1600 x 1200, so your trainzclassicsoptions.txt file will look like:

-DepthBits=24
-StencilBits=8
-fullscreen
-Jet=bin
-cabinfov=65
-driverfov=55
-DefaultAutoMip=none
-vsync=0
-width=1600
-height=1200

Chris

Back